Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

To Help Or Not To Help?

• 9115 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:04 AM PST

If you see someone in trouble while in-game, do you stop and offer them help or do you believe in tough love and watch them learn the hard way? #PRF #communitymatters

• 248 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:17 AM PST

Offer to help!
    Result might be I get a new friend :)

-sorte.

• 753 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:23 AM PST

So much has changed in MMO's over the years - where the opportunity to even stop and help someone if they are in trouble doesn't even exist... because you more or less can't get yourself into the type of trouble where you need help.

So first and foremost - if Pantheon succeeds in being a virtual world in which you can find yourself in situations that you might need others out in the open world... well, that's a win for the game.

As for me, I have always stopped to help people when I had the time, and sometimes even when I didn't.  I plan to do the same in Pantheon.  The more people do things like that, the more people will do things like that - meaning, I think it is incumbent upon those of us who really want Pantheon to be the virtual world (as opposed to a game) that we have been longing for - well - for years... to set the example. 

To me that means everything from fly by buffs, to sitting in a low level area and keeping a group safe, to helping someone get their corpse back (if that is a mechanic in the game).  All of the above.  No exceptions.  

Pantheon, I think, will have the potential to be the world we make it to be... meaning the players and how they do or don't build community.

It's on us.

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 27, 2017 4:24 AM PST
    • 793 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:39 AM PST

I've always stopped to help if I could be of help. I prefer using more passive help if they are standing in the fight, as to not cheapen the experience for them, but should they turn to run, I will take a more active role in assistance.

This post was edited by Fulton at November 27, 2017 4:39 AM PST
    • 14 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:53 AM PST

I am with Fulton on this one.  I am much more passive.  Usually whatever buffs I can offer, maybe a damage shield.  At the most maybe a DOT on the mob.   Of course if they are going to die I will help to the fullest extent possible.  The reason I do this is because this is the style of help that I like the most.

• 1303 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:12 AM PST

First things first. Are they a person I recognize, even if only by reputation? If yes, are they a person I recognize as a jerk?  I think you see where this is going... .

• 234 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:15 AM PST

I will usually help if I see somone in trouble and I think I can.

Assuming of course the game doesn't stop you from helping, IE: locked encounters. 

Of course if the persons reputation doesn't warrent my help I may just sit and watch too. 

-Az

• 10 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:17 AM PST

I'd stop and help them. At times I've stopped by watching a new player struggling. They might have a sliver of health left and the monster has more. If it looks like they have lost the fight for certain, I try to save them, but only at the very end. I don't want to intervene unless I'm absolutely sure they've lost, because near death experiences can be exhilarating if they manage on their own, and incase they've accepted defeat already, they'll feel better when saved and not confuse it with killstealing.

This post was edited by Veltan at January 9, 2018 8:25 AM PST
    • 112 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:40 AM PST

The level of help I bring is dependent on the level of stupid that got them into the situation in the first place.  I am glad to buff, heal, or assist in turning the tide when a player suffers the occasional bad pull or unexected add.  If time permits I ask if they want help before stepping in as I know some people like a challenging experience and would rather push through it unassisted.  Most of the time I provide quick assistance on a single encounter as I am headed to a destination, but I have been known to stop and help someone through entire quest lines when asked politely and thanked appropriately. 

However, if it becomes obvious the player is out of his league or continues to put himself or others at undue risk then I will let the fates be.

• 72 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:47 AM PST
    I 9 times out of 10 Stop and lend a hand. Depending on HP of the person, I will just intervein. I am sure most people would rather not die and have to run back to their corpse but rather have that heal or have that dps.
    • 72 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:47 AM PST
    I 9 times out of 10 Stop and lend a hand. Depending on HP of the person, I will just intervein. I am sure most people would rather not die and have to run back to their corpse but rather have that heal or have that dps.
    • 781 posts
    November 27, 2017 5:59 AM PST

Always stop and help :)  Even if it's someone you don't like, set aside differences and help.  You will be the gainer :) #communitymatters

• 41 posts
    November 27, 2017 6:03 AM PST
    I play on PvP. I'll stop and put them out of their misery.
    • 563 posts
    November 27, 2017 6:07 AM PST

I will usually help if I am able to provide any assistance.

I'm always grateful when another player is able to stop and help me out with something so I like to be able to return the favour to another that needs it :)

This post was edited by Rachael at November 27, 2017 6:08 AM PST
    • 724 posts
    November 27, 2017 6:37 AM PST

I wait until they're dead. Then I /tell them "Opps, sorry I thought you could handle that..." :p

JK. If I see someone in trouble, I try to help. Unless I see someone running with a train after them, then I am a bit more careful wether or not to jump in and help :)

• 1921 posts
    November 27, 2017 6:43 AM PST

If me helping doesn't or can't affect their rewards, I will always help.

If me helping might or does reduce their rewards, I will never help. (unless they ask)

• 2138 posts
    November 27, 2017 6:58 AM PST

I agree with fulton and Azytate on this one.

If the group can pull it off, I dont want to take that thrill of success away from them - including not buffing them from afar. If they can pull it off with what they got that is awesome. I'll buff afterwards, for sure.

Likewise if they start to run then I will buff them on the fly or try to deflect the monster depensing on how far they are as they may decide ot try to come back while the monster is still up.

If they die, I would offer to help rez or whatever and leave monster alone to lick its wounds if they then want to try again, but this time with some buffs. If I am too close, I will kill monster but leave the loot, then rez back the players to their spot so they can re-group but still see  and haggle over the  loots.

• 3237 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:00 AM PST

Interesting question.  I am wondering whether or not we'll actually be able to make this choice in Pantheon?  Will we be able to heal or buff someone while they are in combat, or help them kill the mob that is attacking them?  If the plan is to still go with DPS racing, the answer could vary depending on the context of who/what/when/where/why and how.  Either way, having a choice in these scenarios would be wonderful.

• 1921 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:03 AM PST

Maybe the "someone in trouble" is the orc... we can heal and buff the monsters, right? ;)

• 1019 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:05 AM PST

If it's allowed in Pantheon, I'll help.  

I've helped in other games and have been told off by the player that I saved that I was "stealing" exp.  I was just trying to stop them from dying, but in sooo many games today dieing means so little that they would have rather died than lose the exp I was "stealing" by helping them.

• 1785 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:48 AM PST

If I see someone gettnig trounced by a bunch of monsters and i *can* help, I'll help.  If it's a lost cause and I'd be dead too, I hold back.

• 3016 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:50 AM PST

Kilsin said:

If you see someone in trouble while in-game, do you stop and offer them help or do you believe in tough love and watch them learn the hard way? #PRF #communitymatters

I always ASK them first,   some people like to do it themselves,  others need a little help,  communicating..is the best tool.  :)  I'm a person that likes to do it myself,  if I need help,  I'll say so.   So I respect others the same way. :)   A simple "need help"? If they don't ...and I can buff or something I will do that.  If I see someone running away towards a zone line with 3 mobs on their tail I'll root the pursuing mobs..to give them a chance to zone.  :)

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 27, 2017 8:19 AM PST
  • November 27, 2017 8:05 AM PST

Usually will stop and stand by, checking their health and the mobs.. if they ask for help, will jump in, but dont want to intrude if they are pushing themselves :)  helps always available if requested!

• 3 posts
    November 27, 2017 8:13 AM PST

My avatar is essentially me, as who I am.  I help.

• 207 posts
    November 27, 2017 8:14 AM PST
    When running around on a job with buffs and healing, if I see someone in trouble I always try to help. I don't like to directly engage the mob, but if someone bit off a bit more than they could chew I like to provide assistance.

On bosses however, if I'm after the same boss your on your own!