Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Pantheon has to try to do.

• 1019 posts
    November 26, 2017 4:43 PM PST

This short Video

Starting at 2:32 - 3:40ish.  After 3:40ish he starts to ramble...

I completely agree with what he said there.  I'm not a WoW fan, never played the game past level 15 but the things he talks about, the feelings a game gives you is what Pantheon needs.

• 126 posts
    November 26, 2017 5:09 PM PST

I kinda agree with him. The feelig of a game is important but I also like leveling up, grinding new content with new people, or guildies, and "earning" my way. I can't say what kind of game I'll play this go around :straight leveling with some quests while generally ignoring tradeskills or actually do tradeskilling while leveling.  

• 39 posts
    November 26, 2017 7:21 PM PST
    At first the grind is hard. And should be almost unbearable. But that's the point. Nothing is worth sticking around for that isn't earn with every ounce of patience and effort (within reason of course).
    • 690 posts
    November 26, 2017 7:36 PM PST

Pantheon has to try to do one thing.

Be whatever the developers want it to be

• 14 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:08 PM PST

Not bad: I feel though that the topic gets a little over simplified.  You could go on and on, attempting to explain the magic that is an MMO.  Trying to explain; well, this is why it worked that one time out of every other time we tried.

I think the past speaks for itself, timing, opportunity - the prefect storm that was UO, EQ, WoW.

That storm is brewing again, especially with how other developers have reacted, and I think Visionary Realms knows it.

• 24 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:11 PM PST

Yes, I agree with BeaverBiscuit (wow that's an odd sentence to type).  Players mean well, but they don't always know what they want.  That's why there's so many games out there pushing the same product (and failing at making players satisfied).  I'm buying into whatever VR is selling.  I don't want them swayed by the player base, and I don't believe they will be.

• 1404 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:39 PM PST

Porshia said:

Yes, I agree with BeaverBiscuit (wow that's an odd sentence to type).  Players mean well, but they don't always know what they want.  That's why there's so many games out there pushing the same product (and failing at making players satisfied).  I'm buying into whatever VR is selling.  I don't want them swayed by the player base, and I don't believe they will be.

I agree, we players don't know whats good for us. "What we want", "what the game should be", "this is how it should work" is what got us the games we have today. What we have that few of us want to play. We can offer up our thoughts and ideas, but we have to trust in the Devs to sort out of that not what we want, but what's a good game.

"Seems like everything I like
    Will make me sick or poor or fat"

Two Fools a Minute by David Lee Roth

• 1019 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:24 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

I'm thinking you may not have watched the video.

You can take the greatest game, but to give it longevity, to have a game where people will want to log in all the time and keep playering (and paying) you need to have a game that gives you feelings.  Thats what the video (starting at 2:32, like I said) talks about.

• 3016 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:54 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

This :)

• 3016 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:57 AM PST

Kittik said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

I'm thinking you may not have watched the video.

You can take the greatest game, but to give it longevity, to have a game where people will want to log in all the time and keep playering (and paying) you need to have a game that gives you feelings.  Thats what the video (starting at 2:32, like I said) talks about.

SO what is needed Kittik is a game that keeps people hooked,  keeps their interest..these Devs have been around the block a few times, and they have taken feedback, suggestions, ideas from us..since 2014.     I don't think I am concerned about if the game will have longevity...Everquest is 18 years old..Mr McQuaid was part of that game,  development etc.     So we have some old hands on deck...this ship isn't going to sink.  :)  One more thing it also needs a welcoming community...where people encourage newbies instead of trolling them, that trolling, bad behavior seems to be a theme in some of these latter day communities.  A welcoming community also promotes the longevity of a game.    Hope everyone is on board with this.  :)

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 27, 2017 8:06 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:36 PM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

Spot on man ;)

Pantheon is its own game and we want to help Pantheon stand out on its own, not to be looked at as a clone, copy or sequel to any other game. The team has years of experience between us all on what we like and don't like, in both the business sense and gaming sense, so all we can do is make the best game possible for us and a lot of our target audience I think will agree and like a lot of our decisions and the direction we have taken the game. :)

• 21 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:36 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

SO what is needed Kittik is a game that keeps people hooked,  keeps their interest..these Devs have been around the block a few times, and they have taken feedback, suggestions, ideas from us..since 2014.     I don't think I am concerned about if the game will have longevity...Everquest is 18 years old..Mr McQuaid was part of that game,  development etc.     So we have some old hands on deck...this ship isn't going to sink.  :)  One more thing it also needs a welcoming community...where people encourage newbies instead of trolling them, that trolling, bad behavior seems to be a theme in some of these latter day communities.  A welcoming community also promotes the longevity of a game.    Hope everyone is on board with this.  :)

Cana

On board.

VR's got some seniored hands being on top of this. P:RotF will be what VR makes it, greatness.

• 753 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:39 PM PST

While the title of the thread might be a tad pretentious, I agree that Pantheon would be best served by being a virtual world - rather than a game...

Fortunately, I do believe Brad McQuaid has stated that he wants to make worlds, not games :)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    November 27, 2017 11:52 PM PST

Wandidar said:

While the title of the thread might be a tad pretentious, I agree that Pantheon would be best served by being a virtual world - rather than a game...

Fortunately, I do believe Brad McQuaid has stated that he wants to make worlds, not games :)

And, ideally, post-launch multiple 'games' within the world -- in other words, multiple ways with very different experiences, strategies, and feeling to advance your character.

• 1281 posts
    November 28, 2017 8:36 PM PST

... and that's why he likes Pantheon.

https://youtu.be/6MJHLmxbs_I?t=20s

This post was edited by bigdogchris at November 28, 2017 8:37 PM PST
    • 1019 posts
    November 29, 2017 4:44 AM PST

bigdogchris said:

... and that's why he likes Pantheon.

https://youtu.be/6MJHLmxbs_I?t=20s

Yeah, and he has a good point, it is also why I'm so looking forward to it, as I'm sure many others are.

However, I'm almost positive many people didn't watch the clip I posted from the time I suggested.

All he said is "any game" not specifically Pantheon needs to aim at the heart strings of people.  

• 49 posts
    November 29, 2017 9:06 AM PST

I watched the portion of the video you specified, and I agree. If VR does well in cultivating their vision through the game then I think we'll have what a lot of MMOs these days have been missing, that feeling of being a part of the world and not just a visitor like mentioned in the video. There are few MMOs that have affected me in that way - my first MMO Shadowbane definitely gave me those feels, as well as SWG and WoW, and even Vanguard from the little I got to play it (was deployed when it launched).

I'm always a skeptic when it comes to MMO development because I (we, I'm sure) have been burned so many times. However, from what I've seen, and judging off of the streams and witnessing the passion in which the team talks about their progress as they're showing it off, I have more hope here than I typically do at this stage of the game.