Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

First Person View

This topic has been closed.
    • 1019 posts
    November 26, 2017 5:19 AM PST

Not a big fan of the view aspect myself, but there are times when fighting a mob I'd like to zoom in and see the mob up more closely.  However, watching the videos of recent it looks like the first person view doesn't show a sword swinging into the mob, or the staff stricking, or from watchig Cohh's monk, I don't see hands flailing toward the mob.

I'm hoping they implement this to some extent.  While in 1st person view even when running/walking, you should see your hands breifly appearing at the bottom of your screen.  Of if you're holding a shield or sword, you should see those.  In the "making of a city" video, we see the staff that Cohh is holding, so maybe it's being worked on.

• 1281 posts
    November 26, 2017 6:34 AM PST

Personally, I prefer first person view.

That being said, look at the "technology preview" video that was made a couple of months prior to the current "making of a city" video.  It shows weapons in first person view, but they don't really do any fighting.  This game is extremely pre-alpha, so I would imagine that a large part of combat visuals are still early-prototype.

• 557 posts
    November 26, 2017 6:49 AM PST

During the last making of a city stream, someone in Cohh's channel actually commented that they found his swinging staff distracting as he was running and wanted him to unequip it.  Seeing your weapon in first person view is definitely something that seems to be in game already.  I'm not sure about hands.  I think constantly seeing your arms pumping while walking/running might quickly get tedious so I hope they differentiate between combat and general movement.

I played eq for many years almost exclusively in first person.  After playing a few other games which only supported 3rd person, I found first person a bit restrictive when I later went back to EQ.   Pantheon allows you to toggle easily situationally between views.  For general adventuring I'm probably going to stay first person.  If I'm playing a CC role, then I'll undoubtedly flip to 3rd person so I can keep a better eye on the entire encounter.

• 3016 posts
    November 26, 2017 7:20 AM PST

Kittik said:

Not a big fan of the view aspect myself, but there are times when fighting a mob I'd like to zoom in and see the mob up more closely.  However, watching the videos of recent it looks like the first person view doesn't show a sword swinging into the mob, or the staff stricking, or from watchig Cohh's monk, I don't see hands flailing toward the mob.

I'm hoping they implement this to some extent.  While in 1st person view even when running/walking, you should see your hands breifly appearing at the bottom of your screen.  Of if you're holding a shield or sword, you should see those.  In the "making of a city" video, we see the staff that Cohh is holding, so maybe it's being worked on.

First or third is a roll of the mouse wheel.   Pretty sure that will be the same as in the past.

• 1404 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:41 AM PST

Celandor said:

During the last making of a city stream, someone in Cohh's channel actually commented that they found his swinging staff distracting as he was running and wanted him to unequip it.  Seeing your weapon in first person view is definitely something that seems to be in game already.  I'm not sure about hands.  I think constantly seeing your arms pumping while walking/running might quickly get tedious so I hope they differentiate between combat and general movement.

I played eq for many years almost exclusively in first person.  After playing a few other games which only supported 3rd person, I found first person a bit restrictive when I later went back to EQ.   Pantheon allows you to toggle easily situationally between views.  For general adventuring I'm probably going to stay first person.  If I'm playing a CC role, then I'll undoubtedly flip to 3rd person so I can keep a better eye on the entire encounter.

As one that mains a Caster, that Staff thrusting up in the middle of the screen in First person would have to go, or else first person simply would not be usable for me. The simple 30 min we had with Cohh running that way and I was already annoyed by it. The main thing I hope as time permits for the animation team, (after launch only if absolutely necessary), is they come up with MUCH better staff animations. The game can totally go into Alpha, Beta with the Club animations for the staff but I seriously think it will turn a lot off to the game if they Launch with that.

I'm going to go with "Place Holder" and hope I'm not wrong

• 1618 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:45 AM PST
    I think that you miss out on half the game when in first person. I want to see my character's fighting animstions, spell casting, and appearance, not just the mobs.
    • 1281 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:50 AM PST

Zorkon said:

Celandor said:

As one that mains a Caster, that Staff thrusting up in the middle of the screen in First person would have to go, or else first person simply would not be usable for me. The simple 30 min we had with Cohh running that way and I was already annoyed by it. The main thing I hope as time permits for the animation team, (after launch only if absolutely necessary), is they come up with MUCH better staff animations. The game can totally go into Alpha, Beta with the Club animations for the staff but I seriously think it will turn a lot off to the game if they Launch with that.

That's where "putting a weapon away" when not in combat would come in handy.  Plus it would be morerealistic.  What gomer runs around with a sword in their hand when walking to the market for a loaf of bread?  hehehehehe

• 2419 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:53 AM PST

Kittik said:

I had posted something simlilar to this down in Monty's channel, but it was more to do with the lack of a body in first person.  Did you notice that when Cohh was looking at the ground, literally looking straight down, there was no body.  No feet, legs, chest, arms, hands...nothing.  A disembodied camera view.  That is distracting.

• 1281 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:55 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Kittik said:

I had posted something simlilar to this down in Monty's channel, but it was more to do with the lack of a body in first person.  Did you notice that when Cohh was looking at the ground, literally looking straight down, there was no body.  No feet, legs, chest, arms, hands...nothing.  A disembodied camera view.  That is distracting.

In fairness, when I look down, I sort of just see a belly and feet....  ROFL

• 22 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:59 AM PST

I try both but EQ1 is the only game where first person really worked out the majority of the time.  Something I noticed across games is first person works way better if player/player collision is on.  I understand there are people against this (IMO would disable it only in cities), but aesthetically and functionally the game is better with collision on.

• 1019 posts
    November 26, 2017 9:37 AM PST

Kalok said:

That's where "putting a weapon away" when not in combat would come in handy.  Plus it would be morerealistic.  What gomer runs around with a sword in their hand when walking to the market for a loaf of bread?  hehehehehe

Ya don't really put a staff "away" though.  Just the way it was so prevalent in the middle of the screen was the issue.  

Say, if it laid more toward the bottom of the screen, slanted more.  As if you were running with it kinda across your body, and instead of up into the middle of the screen, it slid back and forth across the screen.

It was just right in the middle of the screen.  It was horrible...move it to the side or something.

This post was edited by Kittik at November 26, 2017 9:42 AM PST
    • 249 posts
    November 26, 2017 9:48 AM PST
    I feel way more involved in the world in 1st person. I can recognize that there are strategic advantages to 3rd person at times...but I'll play in 1st as much as possible. As to the weapons in view while moving...a simple toggle to sheath them would suffice. Automatically unsheathe when you attack
    • 1019 posts
    November 26, 2017 9:53 AM PST

Sword you sheath, shield goes on the back.  Sure, but I don't think I've even seen a staff sheathed or flug across your back...it's kinda always in your hand.

• 334 posts
    November 26, 2017 10:13 AM PST

The disadvantage of first person view as opposed to any 3rd person view would be 'sneaking up' on someone, as you would not see that comming.
    I could imagine a small PiP for 3rd person view to compensate, or a visual overlay to hide any non environmental elements from 3rd person view if those are not visible from 1st person.

• 2419 posts
    November 26, 2017 11:07 AM PST

Kittik said:

Sword you sheath, shield goes on the back.  Sure, but I don't think I've even seen a staff sheathed or flug across your back...it's kinda always in your hand.

DAoC had you sheath weapon and put shield on your back when out of combat.  You did, if memory serves, have the option to not do that if you wanted.

• 1281 posts
    November 26, 2017 2:55 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Kittik said:

DAoC had you sheath weapon and put shield on your back when out of combat.  You did, if memory serves, have the option to not do that if you wanted.

Vanguard had a "sheath weapon" too.  I can't remember if EQ2 ddi.

• 98 posts
    November 26, 2017 3:06 PM PST

When I carry my bo staff around for martial arts, I definitely don't hold it like Cohh's toon was doing. You're liable to hit something with it that way.

Typically the safest way is to have it straight up and down while supported in the crook of your elbow, or used as a walking stick (out of view usually). I'd personally rather have a character 'sheathe' it by sticking it on their backs than have them run around always carrying their weapon like they're about to get into a fight.

• 1019 posts
    November 26, 2017 3:27 PM PST

If you want to see a better redering of how I think they could go.  Go watch a YouTube of Citadel: Forge With Fire.  That do a pretty good job of both your hands being visable on the screen an while holding a staff.

I'm not looking for something to distract so this could all be behind the UI of course, but I'm also suggesting that it's distracting having nothing at all.  If you watch some Citadel videos, you'll see that the hands and he staff are not moving much at all.

• 118 posts
    November 26, 2017 5:05 PM PST

I prefer 1st person, its more immersive and makes group content more challenging and realistic, but as long as 3rd person is available I use that because it just offers too many advantages in combat etc...

• 399 posts
    November 26, 2017 6:52 PM PST

I like it the way it is. First person and zoom out by rolling the mouse.  I would like a third view like EQ1 had too but not too important if not.. i mostly play in 1st and sometimes 3rd.  Would like to see arms swinging a sword tho.

• 109 posts
    November 26, 2017 7:52 PM PST

Zorkon said:

Celandor said:

what zork said. make it go away.

• 2138 posts
    November 27, 2017 7:19 AM PST

First person and deal with it, Wear out the A and D keys. CC? keep that head swiveling and move out fo the way of the warrior so you can see the thing coming up from the left to take care of it. Get wwalloped from behind? should've been ~lookinig!

• 1019 posts
    November 27, 2017 8:11 AM PST

I couldn't play in 1st person all the time.  I'd get sick.  Phsically.

But something that could happen, and I've seen it in other games, is while in 3rd person, you can't see dynamic changes behind you or to your peripheral.  What happens, if there is a tree you run past, then that trees moves into your peripheral and then behind you as you move past it.

But say you stop walking as soon as you move past that tree, the tree stays there, on screen behind you, but you can't see any dynamic changes that otherwise happen.  If a bandit sneaks out from behind that tree, you won't see him because your back is to him.  If a rabbit hops by, you won't see it behind you.  You (your character) remembes the tree behind you, so of course the tree stays there.  But if anything new, a player, a mob, a fire, if anything different happens behind you, you don't see it.

Bringing the preception ability into play, the more preception you have, the wider your visability cone gets.  For noobs, it my be 140 degress in front of you (again this is while you're playing in the zoomed out 3rd person prespective), once you get some preception, it moves to 160, 180.  If you really level up preception, you can see 210 degress around you AND you "sense" mobs behind you.

• 3016 posts
    November 27, 2017 8:26 AM PST

I use first for crafting and for some dungeons that don't accomodate third very well, other than that third. :)

• 1714 posts
    November 27, 2017 8:49 AM PST

Kittik said:

These posts drive me nuts. Do people seriously expect a game in PRE PRE ALPHA to be fully fleshed out? Good grief.