Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Minor Deities

• 1281 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:43 AM PST

So we all know that each of the races have their own "monothiestic" societies....  THis discussion is about minor deities for the classes.  What do you think?

For example, the "goodness and light" diety of Thronefast doesn't make sense for someone like a Rogue to "worship".  Someone like Bristlebane from old EQ, sure, but not the one "assigned" to the Humans in general.  In old EQ, you got to choose your deity.  Playing a Rogue, I chose Bristlebane for obvious reasons.  Bristlebane was the god of thievery and trickery.

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Kalok at November 24, 2017 4:55 PM PST
    • 1303 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:45 AM PST

I like the extra involvement in choosing your patron diety. It adds a lot of flavor, IMO. And it involves you in the history and cultures of the gameworld more. 

• 633 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:58 AM PST

I don't remember reading that any of the races were monotheistic.  I'm pretty sure at least 2 dieties were brought up in the Thronefast stream.  Ocirico was one of them, who appeared to be some god of fate (not quite fate, but similar in a way) and another diety associated with healing, water, etc.

So I'm sure there will be a decent choice of dieties to choose from within the game when it goes live.

• 1281 posts
    November 24, 2017 8:04 AM PST

I got the monothiesm of the cities based on the Wiki pages.

• 3016 posts
    November 24, 2017 9:02 AM PST

Just for future reference:  

de·i·ty
    ˈdēədē,ˈdāədē/
    noun
    plural noun: deities
    1. a god or goddess (in a polytheistic religion).
      "a deity of ancient Greece"
      synonyms: god, goddess, divine being, supreme being, divinityimmortalMore

• divine status, quality, or nature.
        "a ruler driven by delusions of deity"
      • the creator and supreme being (in a monotheistic religion such as Christianity).
        noun: Deity; noun: the Deity

Have at 'er. :)

Cana
    • 3016 posts
    November 24, 2017 9:03 AM PST
    di·et1
    ˈdīət/
    noun

1. 1.
      the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
      "a vegetarian diet"
      synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs; More

2. 2.
      a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
      "I'm going on a diet"

verb

1. 1.
      restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight.
      "it's difficult to diet"
    • 1281 posts
    November 24, 2017 9:04 AM PST

Yeah.  Been having a bad typing morning.  I should have had a second cup of coffee.

• 3016 posts
    November 24, 2017 9:08 AM PST

Kalok said:

Yeah.  Been having a bad typing morning.  I should have had a second cup of coffee.

Haven't gotten to mine yet..still brewing. :)

Cana

• 9115 posts
    November 24, 2017 4:36 PM PST

Renamed for you ;)

• 207 posts
    November 24, 2017 4:46 PM PST

I like the thought of minor deities but would love to see them having a bit more of an impact on your character rather than you picking them at the start of the game. Maybe have the different shrines dedicated to the minor deities sprinkled throughout the world(possibly somehow intertwined with the perception system?), where we could be given divine quest either through a minister or oracle of the shrine.

• 1281 posts
    November 24, 2017 4:54 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Renamed for you ;)

Thank you.  You're a gentleman and a scholar.  I appreciate it.

• 2886 posts
    November 26, 2017 12:57 PM PST

Not all races are monotheistic. In fact, I'd say most aren't. The wiki is still in development just as the game is, so it may not be completely up-to-date or accurate. As Kelenin pointed out, we recently heard of Ocirico who is the "patron deity" of the humans, but that means there must be other lesser deities that Ocirico oversees. I'd even venture to say that one of those is Corcera, a god of healing, whom the Corceran Brotherhood worships and whose temple we saw briefly. And there's probably many more left to discover. Regardless, it looks like there will be tons of deities and each of them will matter. Hopefully you will find this quote interesting...

From Istuulamae:

"In short, we want it to matter what deity you select, for obvious reasons. But there's a nuance in Pantheon that may differ from other games: each race has anywhere from 1-?00 deities, or things functioning in a deity-esque role. So you aren't picking from global, universal gods. You're picking from your racial roster, which is likely exclusive to your race. Now, there may still be some crossover between "like" deities, and that's the part we're working through now. So if you pick a God of Death for the Ogres, shouldn't that breed some familiarity with the followers of a similar god among the Dark Myr? We think so.

When we've got those details worked out, I'm sure we'll have releases that help you acclimate and understand the Gods -- or similar beings -- of each race. We want you to know who you're serving, as much as you can."

(Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3585/deities-and-alliances )

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 26, 2017 12:58 PM PST
    • 334 posts
    November 27, 2017 10:19 AM PST

Bazgrim said:
    Not all races are monotheistic.
    (Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3585/deities-and-alliances )

pun: I don't think we need a wiki; we got Bazgrim, lol (think he got the forum in his head; seeing all those relevant links)
    on topic: just what I wanted to say.. monotheistic does not need to be boring, but having a couple of squabbling dieties in a religion does make is saucy. (specially if they spawn from the devotees themselves)

• 1618 posts
    November 27, 2017 2:37 PM PST

I am hoping each race's pantheon includes both light and dark sides. I hate when races only have one viewpoint. All of the religions that I have studied have both light and dark sides. But, for some reason, they leave that out in MMOs. 

• 2130 posts
    November 27, 2017 2:40 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I am hoping each race's pantheon includes both light and dark sides. I hate when races only have one viewpoint. All of the religions that I have studied have both light and dark sides. But, for some reason, they leave that out in MMOs. 

Considering that religions in video games generally center around deities that demonstrably exist, it kind of makes sense. When you can literally walk up to Cazic-Thule in-game and see that he's screeching about fear-related stuff at all times, things are a lot less open for interpretation.

• 1618 posts
    November 27, 2017 2:56 PM PST

Liav said:

Beefcake said:

Considering that religions in video games generally center around deities that demonstrably exist, it kind of makes sense. When you can literally walk up to Cazic-Thule in-game and see that he's screeching about fear-related stuff at all times, things are a lot less open for interpretation.

Well, the individual deities don't have to have light and dark sides. But, racial pantheons should. Some of the races deities are dark, some are light. A balance within each race's Pantheon.

• 2752 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:16 PM PST

I don't feel all races/pantheons need have light and dark sides. I'm fairly certain not all religions in the real world follow such a dichotomy as there are times where gods of death are good/kind (most common in Native American tribes I believe), and the darkest those panteons come is having a trickster god (usually a playful trickster instead of malevolent). 

• 1618 posts
    November 27, 2017 4:43 PM PST

Iksar said:

I don't feel all races/pantheons need have light and dark sides. I'm fairly certain not all religions in the real world follow such a dichotomy as there are times where gods of death are good/kind (most common in Native American tribes I believe), and the darkest those panteons come is having a trickster god (usually a playful trickster instead of malevolent). 

Light and dark does not have to equal good and evil. That is more of a monotheistic standard. For example, there are no real evil deities in Greek, roman, or Norse pantheons. But, there is definitely light and dark. My understanding of most Native American religions is similar. 

I especially like the idea of flawed deities, with their own quirks, and conflict amongst the Pantheon. This gives individuals variety in RP choices and Quest hooks.