Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What operating system would you prefer to play Pantheon?

• 234 posts
    November 21, 2017 5:42 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

azaya said:

TRS-DOS

Oh Wow..Radio Shack..lmao!

LOL..Sad thing is I actually played some games on one of these as a kid. 

Also have one in my junk pile, but thats another thread :P

This post was edited by azaya at November 21, 2017 5:43 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    November 21, 2017 6:05 PM PST

azaya said:

TRS-DOS

Sweet baby Jebus.  That was my first computer.  Then I upgrraded to a TRS-80 Model III....  Then the CoCo.....  hehehehe

• 234 posts
    November 21, 2017 6:28 PM PST

I still have a working CoCo, hooked it up a few years ago just for kicks.

• 1281 posts
    November 21, 2017 6:34 PM PST

azaya said:

I still have a working CoCo, hooked it up a few years ago just for kicks.

My CoCo bit the dust back in about 1993 at the hands of a Colt Gold Cup 1911.....heehehehe

• 413 posts
    November 22, 2017 10:48 AM PST

Amiga 500 is my first

Funny topic I remember during Vangard developement...  Didn't Sigil switch to SOE from MS because MS wanted to go Windows 7 exclusively?

Personally I will avoid Windows 10 as long as possible..  I am open to Linux - if they can get gaming optimized on it.

This post was edited by Zevlin at November 22, 2017 10:49 AM PST
    • 1303 posts
    November 22, 2017 11:00 AM PST

Atari 400 was my first. Ah, good times. Using the cassette player to save a game... 

• 109 posts
    November 24, 2017 8:39 PM PST

While I find Linux a waste of time, I think leaving out Mac users will hurt Pantheon, A Lot. 

Apple sells 5-6 Million Macs Per Quarter, every single quarter, every single year, for the last 8-10 years. 

They gain users every year.  There are a bazillion computers in the world.  While Windows has a Massive market share compared to mac,  Mac still has a good ~10% market share, which is still a crap ton of computers while Linux has a 1% market share. 

I work for Apple. There are 200+ employees at my location, 70% of that 200 game. 1% will use a windows computer or windows OS. 

Myself and 2 other guys are the only ones that will even touch a Windows machine.  I have a dedicated Windows Machine for gaming. I won't be left out because of an OS. I love MacOS and Windows 10 both. But, when I mention gaming to anyone at Apple they say if it won't run on a mac, it may as well not exist. I know Macs are not "gaming machines" but a 27" imac with an AMD 580 8GB card or a Macbook Pro with an AMD Radeon Pro 560 4GB card, can play games very well.  there is a girl at work that is like 20 years old and plays wow all the time on an 11.6" macbook Air on low graphics settings. Lots mac users Do game. jus sayin....

Linux... I literally have met 3 people my entire life that use Linux and I am ... older .... 

• 24 posts
    November 24, 2017 11:34 PM PST

Win 10 64

Linux is nice but still not user friendly enough, Ive used several variations over the years,  yes variable A, B, C and D are much better in instance X, Y, and/or Z but in reality to do most updates or get the newest coolest GPU you are waiting on the MFG and the Dev(whatever flavor of nix you're using) to come up with 65 beta drivers and to test them all to see what works best for the version you have.   

Mac - No Comment

• 1 posts
    November 24, 2017 11:58 PM PST

Windows 10 though having it on mac would also be nice.

• 690 posts
    November 25, 2017 2:09 AM PST

Linux. I am unfortunately using windows though, because they wont have linux support for a while...

• 7 posts
    November 25, 2017 5:22 AM PST

Windows 10 64-bit...an hopefully rocking a 6-core 8700k soo too :-)  Any word if Pantheon will be able to take advantage of the extra cores?  I'm not too familiar with the guts of the Unity engine.

• 413 posts
    November 25, 2017 6:58 AM PST

Too Bad Linux does not get the support it needs for gaming related drivers.  It's basically a free OS, that MS and Apple don't want you to use.  Slowely but surely it will get there.  From a IT security standpoint I love it.

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:22 AM PST

Naim said:

While I find Linux a waste of time, I think leaving out Mac users will hurt Pantheon, A Lot. 

Apple sells 5-6 Million Macs Per Quarter, every single quarter, every single year, for the last 8-10 years. 

They gain users every year.  There are a bazillion computers in the world.  While Windows has a Massive market share compared to mac,  Mac still has a good ~10% market share, which is still a crap ton of computers while Linux has a 1% market share. 

I work for Apple. There are 200+ employees at my location, 70% of that 200 game. 1% will use a windows computer or windows OS. 

Myself and 2 other guys are the only ones that will even touch a Windows machine.  I have a dedicated Windows Machine for gaming. I won't be left out because of an OS. I love MacOS and Windows 10 both. But, when I mention gaming to anyone at Apple they say if it won't run on a mac, it may as well not exist. I know Macs are not "gaming machines" but a 27" imac with an AMD 580 8GB card or a Macbook Pro with an AMD Radeon Pro 560 4GB card, can play games very well.  there is a girl at work that is like 20 years old and plays wow all the time on an 11.6" macbook Air on low graphics settings. Lots mac users Do game. jus sayin....

Linux... I literally have met 3 people my entire life that use Linux and I am ... older .... 

The downside is that Apple ias sub-par hardware for gaming compared to a "standard Wintel" machine for a much higher cost.  I've been Mac repair certified since the mid-90s.

The issue for Linux, which makes for a sub-par game operating system so far, is because of the video driver issue.  Over-all the Linux operating system is a much faster operating system than both the Windows operating aystem and the Mac operating system.  The mainstream support just isn't there.  You CAN try the manufacurer drivers, nVidia, AMD, and Intel have Linux binaries, but it's a crap-shoot as to how well they work, and good luch getting support on them.  THe Open Source video drivers are even more of a crap shoot.  I've been in IT for over 31 years and still have problems from time to time with video drivers on Linux.  THe manufacturers are always lagging on features and optimizations for their Linux drivers.

For the record, Naim, you have now met a fourth person that uses Linux....hehehe  I have a full Active Directory domain here at home with both WIndows and Linux machines on it.  My main laprop is running Linux with the KDE desktop, which I prefer to the other graphical interfaces.  I prefer the Red Hat and Fedora deravitives depensing on what my Linux system is doing and how "lastest generation" I need my Linux OS to be.

I do, however, agree that if I had to choose betwen a Linux machine and a Mac machine for gaming I would choose a Mac one over the Linux one, even though you pay more for lesser hardware, simply because the support is there for the video drivers.

If someone, either nVidia or AMD, made well functionling video drivers for Linux I could forsee the Linux gaming market take off simply because of the performance gains with the same hardware.  Unfortunately it's sort of a circular failure.  No video drivers worth a damn, so no games.  No games, so no video drivers.

At the end of the day, I build my own gaming systems and put the latest hardware in them, so to get the best performance out of them, I am "stuck" running Windows.

This post was edited by Kalok at November 25, 2017 7:23 AM PST
    • 4 posts
    November 25, 2017 2:29 PM PST

Well, since apparently MINIX is the mostly used OS on Intel CPUs, it would be the obvious choice...

• 93 posts
    November 28, 2017 1:17 PM PST

Seems to be more Linux users in the community than suspected. I realize many users here couldn't care less and just want to play the bloody game on a prebuilt machine with overpriced specs they bought at best buy, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just hope that eventually, in time, the devs bring native support to the Linux community. The Linux gaming community is very tight-knit, and once they find out they are getting an MMORPG like Pantheon, they will come in droves.

People are getting sick of the Windows botnet ****, and they want privacy. Don't underestimate the migration.

This post was edited by halflingwarrior at November 28, 2017 1:18 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    November 28, 2017 1:44 PM PST

Yeah, because everyone who uses Windows only does so because they buy overpriced prebuilt shitter PCs from Best Buy.

Nobody gives a ****. Play on whatever operating system you want. If there's money in it, port the game to Linux.

Edit: The memes about how Windows users are simple are equally as dumb as the memes about how Linux/iOS are terrible.

This post was edited by Liav at November 28, 2017 2:27 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    November 28, 2017 2:24 PM PST

AmigaDOS would be great in the office, and then iOS when laying in bed playing lazily on my iPad Pro :)

• 28 posts
    November 28, 2017 2:29 PM PST

Windows 10 64bit (because I have one of those)

Linux ( make sure that there are a lot of dependancies and at least a few Kernel recompiles )

MacOS ( because I have one of those too )

Or you could just do Windows. yeah, do that.

• 93 posts
    November 29, 2017 8:23 AM PST

Liav said:

Yeah, because everyone who uses Windows only does so because they buy overpriced prebuilt shitter PCs from Best Buy.

Nobody gives a ****. Play on whatever operating system you want. If there's money in it, port the game to Linux.

Edit: The memes about how Windows users are simple are equally as dumb as the memes about how Linux/iOS are terrible.

did you try turning it off and back on

EDIT: noticed another FAQ update:

"The great thing about Unity is that it can target different systems. We will absolutely have a PC client. We hope to have a Mac client as well if it makes sense as we near release. Any other clients would come after launch. It depends on the timing and where Unity is at, and the time that it takes us to make sure the client works on each platform. PC first, and then Mac; then we’ll see where it goes from there."

This post was edited by halflingwarrior at November 29, 2017 8:30 AM PST
    • 1921 posts
    November 29, 2017 8:48 AM PST

Arlo said:

Windows 10 64-bit...an hopefully rocking a 6-core 8700k soo too :-)  Any word if Pantheon will be able to take advantage of the extra cores?  I'm not too familiar with the guts of the Unity engine.

IIRC, Unity 5 was not considered thread safe.  That meant everything only happened in a single thread and couldn't be multi-threaded within Unity itself.  Of course, you can run parallel tasks outside the primary unity thread, but then you're dealing with synchronization.  This article from June 2017: http://www.what-could-possibly-go-wrong.com/threads-promises-and-unity/#thereallyshortanswer has some good insight into the problems.

Multi-threaded rendering is apparently a feature of Unity 5.4, for some types of objects: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/07/28/unity-5-4-is-out-heres-whats-in-it/ :
    " Unity 5.4 takes our multithreaded rendering support to the next level. Depending on your project and the platform you’re building to, it can significantly improve your frame rate.

Building on the work we did to take particles, sprites, flares, halos, lines and trails off the main thread in Unity 5.3, we’ve introduced parallel command list generation. Instead of building one graphics command list on the main CPU core scripts used by physics and scripts, work is reallocated to multiple CPU cores, removing potential bottlenecks and enabling complex scenes to run faster. "

However, I don't know what version Visionary Realms is using and/or if they're taking advantage of any of this or even if any of it applies to Pantheon.  Particles, sprites, flares, halos, lines and trails doesn't sound (to me) like where the bulk of the rendering time is spent (world geometry, static objects, grass, trees, players, monsters, etc) in an open world MMO, but I've been wrong before. :)  It would be nice to get a screenshot from someone like COHH, of all his cores in use by Pantheon while testing Pantheon, although I suppose the answer will be forthcoming in December once pre-alpha starts.

Multi-threaded MMO gaming, in my experience hasn't happened yet.  I have yet to play any MMO, myself, that took advantage of multi-threading and any number of multiple cores.  Certainly, there are games that do it, I just haven't seen any RPG, MMORPG, or single player games do it yet.  YMMV.  Currently, for my clients looking for new gaming machines, I advise them against buying anything with more than 6-8 threads, as 2-4 of those threads will be unused 99% of the time for most games.  There is also the balance to consider of clock speed versus number of cores.  Fewer cores,currently, give you a higher clock speed per core, and with single-threaded games, higher clock speed means a faster game.  This will change over time, with newer games taking advantage of multi threading, hopefully.

This post was edited by vjek at November 29, 2017 8:50 AM PST
    • 257 posts
    November 29, 2017 8:56 AM PST

The majority of optimization issues I see in games usually comes from the AMD crowd. Hopefully they get some love too.