Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Time between pre-alpha and alpha

• 44 posts
    December 22, 2017 8:29 PM PST

I love when people use 10,000 words to make a simple point so they can sound smart.

• 109 posts
    December 22, 2017 8:42 PM PST

Zeem said:

Frostyglitch said:

Yeah I've been on the forums far too long to expect anyone to announced a data/time.  For that matter anyone who's ever been part of the process of making an MMO like I have knows that.  Which is why I asked if greyboxing or placeholders would be in alpha because I imagine it's going to be quite a while before those aren't a thing anymore in some capacity.  I figured by now Brad likely knows if he wants alpha testers to be seeing those or not since it will effect such a large amount of players.  But maybe he hasn't made mention of it, in which case who knows.

I totally agree Pantheon will be ready when it's ready and nobody should be free rushed.  The good news is it sounds like streams are going to be coming out more frequently and potentially by multiple people.

I dont see why having grey boxing would matter in alpha. Its not early access. Beta would be different, maybe but Beta I don't see the whole world being opened up either.

As Kalok eluded to by the time the beta hits they'll be testing the servers more than anything.  While it's common to find plenty of bugs during the beta phase, most of them should have already been squished by the pre-alpha and alpha phases.  So by the time open beta (if there even is one) it's 100% about smashing the servers with as many people as possible to prepare for scaling.  

Which brings me to my question.  It stands to reason that alpha would be testing every aspect of the game or as much as possible.  So with that being said if alpha has to wait for all the placeholders to be filled in it's going to be longer than I had initially thought between those phases.  On the other hand Brad has been very transparent and open to suggestions with this game from the beginning so he may want an even larger group on staff to help mold the game. 

• 1281 posts
    December 22, 2017 9:07 PM PST

Frostyglitch said:

Zeem said:

Frostyglitch said:

Yeah I've been on the forums far too long to expect anyone to announced a data/time.  For that matter anyone who's ever been part of the process of making an MMO like I have knows that.  Which is why I asked if greyboxing or placeholders would be in alpha because I imagine it's going to be quite a while before those aren't a thing anymore in some capacity.  I figured by now Brad likely knows if he wants alpha testers to be seeing those or not since it will effect such a large amount of players.  But maybe he hasn't made mention of it, in which case who knows.

I totally agree Pantheon will be ready when it's ready and nobody should be free rushed.  The good news is it sounds like streams are going to be coming out more frequently and potentially by multiple people.

I dont see why having grey boxing would matter in alpha. Its not early access. Beta would be different, maybe but Beta I don't see the whole world being opened up either.

As Kalok eluded to by the time the beta hits they'll be testing the servers more than anything.  While it's common to find plenty of bugs during the beta phase, most of them should have already been squished by the pre-alpha and alpha phases.  So by the time open beta (if there even is one) it's 100% about smashing the servers with as many people as possible to prepare for scaling.  

Which brings me to my question.  It stands to reason that alpha would be testing every aspect of the game or as much as possible.  So with that being said if alpha has to wait for all the placeholders to be filled in it's going to be longer than I had initially thought between those phases.  On the other hand Brad has been very transparent and open to suggestions with this game from the beginning so he may want an even larger group on staff to help mold the game. 

One thing that they did say in the 'Technical Preview' video was that they built the systems that will allow their design team to throw on the art work and skins faster and more efficiently.  In addition, they said, in the same video, that they have multiple teams working in parallel.

• 109 posts
    December 22, 2017 9:24 PM PST

Kalok said:

Frostyglitch said:

Zeem said:

Frostyglitch said:

One thing that they did say in the 'Technical Preview' video was that they built the systems that will allow their design team to throw on the art work and skins faster and more efficiently.  In addition, they said, in the same video, that they have multiple teams working in parallel.

Oh that's interesting.  Well who knows my theory may still hold water with alpha coming in around the March/April time line assuming there are no huge hurdles between now and then.  Things really seem to be going smoothly at this point.  On the other hand there's a lot of complex pieces to consider here so we could be looking at fall.

This post was edited by Frostyglitch at December 22, 2017 9:25 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 22, 2017 9:48 PM PST

Frostyglitch said:

Kalok said:

Frostyglitch said:

Zeem said:

Frostyglitch said:

Oh that's interesting.  Well who knows my theory may still hold water with alpha coming in around the March/April time line assuming there are no huge hurdles between now and then.  Things really seem to be going smoothly at this point.  On the other hand there's a lot of complex pieces to consider here so we could be looking at fall.

It's one of the reasons I came up with the timeline that I did earlier in this thread.

• 28 posts
    December 25, 2017 12:57 AM PST

I am gonna guess the relase will NOT coincide with the 20th of EQ.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is NOT Everquest. Everquest is owned by..hmm what is that company again? Doesn't matter they are irrelevant now in the world of MMORPG's and reallya t all. But, that being said, they own Everquest. While Pantheon fans may "see" Pantheon as Everquest III, it isn't. Everquest is dead. "That company saw to it."

Thankfully, we have Brad McQuaid and his Pantheon team to right a wrong and bring order back to the world of massive 1's and 0's.

• 56 posts
    December 25, 2017 8:41 AM PST

However, this is all moot, because... you have to give the VIP's value for their money.  They paid a lot for their pre-launch access, testing or not.  If you don't give them hundreds of days, it ends up costing each player USD$10->$30 per day, which is pretty expensive in the long term.  The last thing you want is angry VIP's, right? :)

Well, I sincerely hope that testing phases are dictated by game development and not to give any of us that paid to help test early a 'special treat'.

Testing early is the special treat. I would think anyone passionate enough to pledge enough to get in and help test at this stage gets that.

Arbitrarily delaying to give more play time is the opposite of using time/resources efficiently. Especially for a project that's on a budget as tight as Pantheons. Anyone that would be angry because they didn't get enough play time is probably not focused on making the overall game experience better for anyone but themselves. 

• 9 posts
    December 26, 2017 8:18 PM PST

I'd be interested to know if Pre/Alpha/Beta will have phases.  The only think I have to go off of is my experience in EQ's beta.  There were 4 phases.  1 Was getting the classes put in.  2 was zones (starting out all the Evil races started in Neriak, Grobb and Oggok wheren't in yet).  I wasn't in 3, but i seem to recal that was about getting all the content in.  4 was a major stress test.  This is rought, as it happened so long ago.  I might be "mis-remembering" some things.

I seem to recall beta 2 lasting 6ish+ months (was a LONG time ago).  Beta 4 was pretty short (6 weeks?).  One thing to note, was all the content (itemization, carfting, etc) was not in beta 4.

Can't wait to get in and test once Alpha opens!

-Chris

P.S. still have my BETA CD's :D

This post was edited by trukk at December 26, 2017 8:20 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    December 29, 2017 2:16 PM PST

So this might be a dumb question but it has been so long since I pledged, I forgot what access my pledge came with.  I have the knights package...I am confident it was at lest beta?

• 1095 posts
    December 29, 2017 3:01 PM PST

Bewtleg said:

So this might be a dumb question but it has been so long since I pledged, I forgot what access my pledge came with.  I have the knights package...I am confident it was at lest beta?

Support ticket would be your best bet, they will tell you.

• 470 posts
    December 30, 2017 5:18 AM PST

Bewtleg said:

I could be mistaken but I believe the Knight's Pledge at some point had alpha access. They removed it because they were reaching their cap of players per Kilsin. Still, it may be best to contact CS and be sure as Zeem suggested.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4165/knight-s-pledge/view/post_id/66758

Kilsin said:

As per our announcement across all official platforms a month ago, we had to remove the Knight's and Patron's pledges due to almost hitting our Alpha cap: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3922/new-pledge-tier-coming-september-12th

We then gave a 3-day warning to remind everyone of our changes: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4096/only-3-days-left

You still have the Knight's pledge if you purchased it, we just removed it so new members cannot buy it.

Next response:

trukk said:

I'd be interested to know if Pre/Alpha/Beta will have phases.  The only think I have to go off of is my experience in EQ's beta.  There were 4 phases.  1 Was getting the classes put in.  2 was zones (starting out all the Evil races started in Neriak, Grobb and Oggok wheren't in yet).  I wasn't in 3, but i seem to recal that was about getting all the content in.  4 was a major stress test.  This is rought, as it happened so long ago.  I might be "mis-remembering" some things.

I seem to recall beta 2 lasting 6ish+ months (was a LONG time ago).  Beta 4 was pretty short (6 weeks?).  One thing to note, was all the content (itemization, carfting, etc) was not in beta 4.

I expect there will probably be phases. How phased I have no idea. If I recall correctly Vanguard had 5 phases of beta but I forget how many of alpha. I believe the beta testing for that game stretched about a year and a half though.

This post was edited by Kratuk at December 30, 2017 12:17 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    December 30, 2017 11:28 AM PST

I'm going to condense this down into one comment:    "Is it soup yet?"   :D  hehehe

Cana

• 470 posts
    December 30, 2017 12:15 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

I'm going to condense this down into one comment:    "Is it soup yet?"   :D  hehehe

Cana

Yeah I probably should have clipped the wings on some of those quotes. :p

Edit: Cleaned it up a bit but didn't see the need to respond separately. Soup's done.

This post was edited by Kratuk at December 30, 2017 12:19 PM PST
    • 363 posts
    July 13, 2018 2:39 PM PDT

Hope alpha is here before Christmas :D