Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

May be a silly, simple question, but...

• 126 posts
    November 1, 2017 8:57 AM PDT

...will the game notify you when a friend or guildie logs in? Not all do but it sure comes in handy! Needing to know for writing our R&R!

Thanks, Kils! (or whomever)

• 68 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:11 AM PDT

Considering the focus they look to put on social systems, I'd be very surprised if something like this wouldn't be a feature. Though I'd like it to be able to turn it off. It gets a bit bothersome if you're part of a guild to get notified whenever someone logs on/off.

• 1303 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:16 AM PDT

If it's used I'd like for it to be able to be turned off on both ends. Either from the perspective of the player that doesn't want constant spam of friends logging in/out, but also from the perspective of a player that would like to log in with some peace and quiet and not announce that you're online. 

• 2752 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:25 AM PDT

I'd place my hopes on one step further and hope that you can toggle it per player, at least on your friends list. 

• 126 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:32 AM PDT

I'm with you guys. Now to hear from the Voice of Pantheon... (heh)

• 1315 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:49 AM PDT

This is the sort of detail that will come in much later as a part of the UI system as it has more to do with server notifications and log tracking.  That being said there will undoubtely some form of notification given but the form and options will not be decided for some time as other pieces of the puzzle will need to be decided first.

• 126 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:03 AM PDT

No such thing as a silly question :)

But as mentioned, with the emphasis VR wants to put on the social aspect of the game I'd be surprised if it's not a feature. It will most likely fall under the UI portion but I also hope that with many chat/social features it also has a toggle on/off ability.

• 1303 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

I don't know. With the emphasis VR is putting on community, communication and mechanisms to meet and keep allies synched this seems like it'd be something relatively high on their list of priorities. And as bells and whistles go, this should be a fairly easy thing to impliment. Hell either at release or shortly after EQ had "/who all guild" that would show all guild members online. This isn't much more complicated, and instead is just a ping the reverse direction when someone logs in. 

Login>Check friend/guild membership>send notification.

Obviously friends lists would have to be maintained servers side rather than client side, but that shouldn't be a big deal really, and in a lot of games that's exactly how it's handled. 

Crafting an interface to manage it should be a simple thing too. Just a few queries to the database with an XML window, probably from a standard XML interface template they already have. 

• 1584 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

Menubrea said:

Considering the focus they look to put on social systems, I'd be very surprised if something like this wouldn't be a feature. Though I'd like it to be able to turn it off. It gets a bit bothersome if you're part of a guild to get notified whenever someone logs on/off.

Honestly if it were me to avoid this i would simply keep it on but make it to where the text goes into another chat box and have a audio queue for when people log on, and have the actual chat window miinimezed til you interested than open it up look who there than minimezed it again.

• 207 posts
    November 1, 2017 11:03 AM PDT
    I think I might be the only one who would be against something like this.....I feel like if people want to talk to you when they log on they will. It just seems unneccessary to me to be notified everytime someone logs on.
    • 1303 posts
    November 1, 2017 11:12 AM PDT

Grimix said: I think I might be the only one who would be against something like this.....I feel like if people want to talk to you when they log on they will. It just seems unneccessary to me to be notified everytime someone logs on.

That's kinda why I want to be able to go invis :) 

• 159 posts
    November 1, 2017 11:19 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

If it's used I'd like for it to be able to be turned off on both ends. Either from the perspective of the player that doesn't want constant spam of friends logging in/out, but also from the perspective of a player that would like to log in with some peace and quiet and not announce that you're online. 

This right here. Sometimes you may want to log in as "appear offline" because you might just want to quickly check something without having your mates invite you to stuff you don't have time for, or you want some "me" time in the game, or whatever. For when you do want to announce your status - and know your mates' - my dream is that a mobile companion app would also have this feature, in addition to any other means VR might use.

Off-topic (and a nitpick): @Aredhel, could I suggest that you make the thread title more explicit? I'm assuming you didn't mean anything by it, but I've been seeing quite a few "cliffhangery" thread titles lately that make you click to actually see what they're about, and I think it would be useful if titles were more descriptive.

• 4 posts
    November 1, 2017 11:34 AM PDT

If this becomes a feature, hopefully there will be a feature where you can go anon so you don't pop up when you log on.  Sometimes you just want to be left alone for trade skills or just don't want to be bothered at all...

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    November 1, 2017 12:31 PM PDT

Menubrea said:

This.  Lots of stuff like this will be available.  Think of them in a sense like the Notification system in iOS.   Of course, you're able to turn on and off what you want to be notified about.

• 769 posts
    November 1, 2017 2:16 PM PDT

Thanks, Aradune! Can you confirm whether we'll be able to toggle our own notifications, to other people, on and off?

As in, can I make it so that other people aren't notified when I log on?

Just curious - not even close to a big issue with me. 

• 9 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:41 PM PDT

It is always nice to be able to see who is logging on and off friends or guildies or [insert what ever here]

One thing i also would like to see is an extended ignore , there are allways people that spam and talk trash and when you ignore them they make an low level alt or log on a second alt and keep spamming so i hope and wonder if there would be a feature so you can choose to ignore that persons whole account anstead of one character , that way you never have to see trash talk from him/her ever again.

This post was edited by Nibelung at November 1, 2017 9:43 PM PDT
    • 454 posts
    November 1, 2017 9:47 PM PDT

Sometimes I log on just to arrange stuff in my bank for a bit. So it makes sense to be anon.  Also maybe there is a Do not disturb button if you want.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:06 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

Thanks, Aradune! Can you confirm whether we'll be able to toggle our own notifications, to other people, on and off?

Too early to set in stone, but I don't see why not -- seems reasonable.  Some people like to be announced and some people want to be able to log in in a more subtle manner.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:07 PM PDT

Nibelung said:

It is always nice to be able to see who is logging on and off friends or guildies or [insert what ever here]

One thing i also would like to see is an extended ignore , there are allways people that spam and talk trash and when you ignore them they make an low level alt or log on a second alt and keep spamming so i hope and wonder if there would be a feature so you can choose to ignore that persons whole account anstead of one character , that way you never have to see trash talk from him/her ever again.

Unfortunatey yes, I think a permanent /ignore is necessary.

• 207 posts
    November 1, 2017 10:15 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Tralyan said:

Too early to set in stone, but I don't see why not -- seems reasonable.  Some people like to be announced and some people want to be able to log in in a more subtle manner.

Please!!!:) would greatly appreciate that feature! 

• 126 posts
    November 2, 2017 6:25 AM PDT

Appreciate it, Aradune! We kinda thought it might be, but just never know.

I use to LOVE the feature that, as a guild leader in EQ, I could bring up the guild and talk to them via browser when I couldn't be ingame. Would LOVE to see that, somehow. I subscribed to that site, I think, (can't remember the name...) and we had access to all sorts of information! Shoot...what was the name of that???