Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

QoL item that I beg of you to code into the game...

• 53 posts
    October 27, 2017 11:33 PM PDT

In the UI. The Guild Window. I am a guild leader. I have been one since EQ2 (I learned how to run a guild in EQ and took over the reins in EQ2) and one thing that seems to nearly always be missing in MMOs these days is a simple feature in the guild window..a column saying when a member joined the guild (Month, Day, Year).

A lot of my ranks in the guild are based on being active and "seniority" in the guild. While we typically have a spreadsheet for our members, it sure would be nice for the guild window to track and display the day they joined along with a "last online" date like EQ had. 

If you include this, we will love you forever.

The League of Shadows

Cyradus Hateborn, Lord Regent.

This post was edited by Hateborn at October 27, 2017 11:34 PM PDT
    • 68 posts
    October 28, 2017 12:41 AM PDT

I'm hopeful VR will focus heavily on creating good social systems/interfaces in general, really. For a community focused game, nothing is more important - as far as I'm concerned - than making it easy to for players to create groups, reconnecting with players you've played with previously, and/or to find people to fit the same playstyle as yourself. A good and detailed guild interface is definitely part of that.

• 1584 posts
    October 28, 2017 1:11 AM PDT

Like this idea, something very small, but can quite meaningful

• 3852 posts
    October 28, 2017 7:15 AM PDT

LOTRO has had this for many years and I believe some other MMOs do as well. I agree it is useful.

• 557 posts
    October 28, 2017 7:16 AM PDT

The FAQ states that there will be guild tools and makes specific reference to managing raid attendance and loot distribution.   I'm not sure if that means a mechanism for locking mob loot until it's assigned to a raid member or if it's a DKP system.  The details are pretty vague at this point.  I suspect that's something we won't see until late alpha at best.

I've been curious for some time whether there's going to be any sort of API that 3rd party guild hosting sites will be able to leverage.  These integrations exist for other established games.

This post was edited by Celandor at October 28, 2017 7:24 AM PDT
    • 319 posts
    October 28, 2017 1:27 PM PDT

I know this is just a pipedream but a mobfinder tool so you could see if a certain mob was spawned. That would be awesome.

• 2130 posts
    October 28, 2017 2:09 PM PDT

Isaya said:

I know this is just a pipedream but a mobfinder tool so you could see if a certain mob was spawned. That would be awesome.

wat

• 1584 posts
    October 28, 2017 3:10 PM PDT

Isaya said:

hmm, not just no, but **** no, im sorry but that is like people using MQ2 on EQ, which considered cheating if cuaght.

• 1281 posts
    October 28, 2017 5:06 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Isaya said:

hmm, not just no, but **** no, im sorry but that is like people using MQ2 on EQ, which considered cheating if cuaght.

I agree.  This should be one of those hell no items.  Luckily, tyhat might be pretty difficult since they plan on making the client itself as "dumb" as possible.

• 3237 posts
    October 28, 2017 5:27 PM PDT

Liav said:

Isaya said:

wat

wut he said^

It's called a ranger (or maybe another class that can specialize in tracking)  --  my understanding is that we won't have any add-ons that can do those sorts of things.

In response to OP, I also have experience using the guild UI from EQ2 and there were some pretty nice features.  The join date is one example ... it was nice seeing people in the guild for 3, 4, or 5+ years.  The guild ranks could be customized with different names/perks.  The combination of these 2 things allowed guilds to easily identify/reward players based on merit, seniority, etc.  We don't have specifics yet but I believe the guild UI will be a strong point in Pantheon ... a great area to "evolve the genre."

This post was edited by oneADseven at October 28, 2017 5:35 PM PDT
    • 1120 posts
    October 28, 2017 10:20 PM PDT

I mean,  I know it's listen as qol, but I feel like there's a ton of different ways to keep track of this.   Plus it would eliminate gkicking people for fun!

• 3237 posts
    October 28, 2017 10:32 PM PDT

Porygon said:

I mean,  I know it's listen as qol, but I feel like there's a ton of different ways to keep track of this.   Plus it would eliminate gkicking people for fun!

It also limited people gquitting for fun or drama.  Having an established join date in a high-end guild was a big deal.  I remember one of our veteran members rage quitting over something stupid one day ... they rejoined shortly thereafter but lost their original join date.  He kicked his own ass for that for like 2 more years.  If you gquit you would also lose all "guild contributed status" which was another way to gauge player contributions.

• 155 posts
    October 29, 2017 5:01 PM PDT

Isaya said:

lmao .. .. 

• 109 posts
    October 29, 2017 6:22 PM PDT

Good idea. Simple but useful. 

• 753 posts
    October 29, 2017 7:13 PM PDT

I've mentioned this other times in other places, but I'd love it if there were a LFG tool that wasn't like what we think of when we think about them in the context of today's games.  Rather, I would like to see in a LFG tool:

1) A tool that will list people looking for group members in the place I am looking to group

2) That doesn't auto-group you (you need to create your own in game social networks)

3) That has features similar to your friends list - but doesn't add people to your friends list... so that you could mark people you do and don't like grouping with, and see IF they are looking for groups and WHERE they are looking for groups... so that you can send tells to people you have enjoyed grouping with, and not end up in groups with people you don't want to group with.  I would keep it separarte from your friends list because people on your group list might not be people you are ready to friend.

• 53 posts
    October 29, 2017 9:09 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Porygon said:

It also limited people gquitting for fun or drama.  Having an established join date in a high-end guild was a big deal.  I remember one of our veteran members rage quitting over something stupid one day ... they rejoined shortly thereafter but lost their original join date.  He kicked his own ass for that for like 2 more years.  If you gquit you would also lose all "guild contributed status" which was another way to gauge player contributions.

Yeah. This is what I mean. We had the same thing in EQ2, which, in my opinion is to date one of the best in game guild windows in an MMO. Many of our ranks were gated behind seniority in the guild. Long time members valued that join date by their name...and it was a big deal to leave a guild and lose all that you had gained in the guild window. This is SUCH a big boon to guild leadership and gives weight to the idea of serving a guild for the long haul. I really hope they take their time and make an outstanding guild window in the game's UI. 

• 3237 posts
    October 30, 2017 3:00 AM PDT

It's funny you mention gating some of your player ranks behind seniority, Hateborn.  I always thought having a veteran player rank was pretty standard in an MMO but was recently criticized for having "a leadership structure dictated by join-date."  I spent quite a bit of time working on the ranking structure (with the help of others, thankfully) for TDC, and being completely honest, a lot of it was based on having many years of experience utilizing the robust guild UI from EQ2.  The idea was simple ... let's create a meaningful, progressive ranking structure that allows players to earn a distinguished rank or title in the guild.  Various metrics can be used, including join-date.  It would never make sense to label someone a veteran shortly after they join your guild.

Anyway, we wanted to create a tangible path for rank ascension that clearly outlines the requirements for obtaining each rank, and then also touches on some of the perks.  We had to get pretty clever with some of our perks because we don't actually have a game to play yet and it's possible some of these things may need to be altered down the road ... but if the guild UI is comparable to what we had available in EQ2, we should be able to accomplish our goals.  Working out the fine details will come with time but we are proud of the progress we have made.  Anyway, I'd like to share our ranking structure with you and gauge your input.  Here is a link where everything is defined:  http://www.tdcguild.com/structure/

Again, please keep in mind that some of the particular details are subject to change.  We are trying to be as proactive as possible when it comes to planning for the future, but we aren't "locked in" to anything.  We want to remain fluid enough so that we can adapt or change based on the options/functionalities/limitations that will be present in game.  I feel that a solid ranking stucture is really important when it comes to player recognition, and being able to easily identify a player's join date in the guild window serves as a great way to showcase the tenure of your senior members.  Big shout out to Pyye and other folks from TDC who helped define some of the rank names and perks used in our structure.

This post was edited by oneADseven at October 30, 2017 8:43 AM PDT
    • 753 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:14 AM PDT

Here's a big one from a healer's perspective...

Group / raid frames that can be moved to where you want them, that show at least debuffs you can dispel along with health, that can be customized to show more or less depending on what is available to be shown in group / raid frames... that... and this is important... permit hover casting.

I personally really like my raid frames sort of center right on the screen, and I like to be able to assign my heal spells to my mouse (razer naga), and hover cast the heal I want on the person I want (within the group / raid frame)

• 1785 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:32 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

It's funny you mention gating some of your player ranks behind seniority, Hateborn.  I always thought having a veteran player rank was pretty standard in an MMO but was recently criticized for having "a leadership structure gated by join-date."  I spent quite a bit of time (had plenty of help too, thankfully) working on the ranking structure for TDC, and being completely honest, a lot of it was based on many years of being a guild leader in EQ2.  The idea was simple ... let's create a meaningful, progressive ranking structure that allows players to earn a distinguished rank or title in the guild.  Various metrics can be used, including join-date.  I feel that a solid ranking stucture is really important when it comes to player recognition, and being able to easily identify a player's join date in the guild window serves as a great way to showcase the tenure of your senior members.

Not criticizing, but I actually have a different perspective.  In my guild I usually maintain a "veteran" rank as well, but instead of being based on time-in-guild, it's a recognition for people who go "above and beyond" to contribute to the success of the group.  You know, like the person who takes time out to write a really great class guide, or the guy who crafts anything that anyone needs for free.  So the rank is positive reinforcement and kind of a way to spotlight the people that we want everyone else to be like.

Time-in-guild *does* matter for us though, because we care about it for new members.  We typically have a "recruit" rank where new members go, and then after 30/60 days (whatever seems reasonable) officers do a gut check on how well the person is meshing with the guild.  If we think they're integrating well, they get bumped up to "member" and get normal access to whatever stuff the game gives guild members.  If we think they're not integrating well, then we talk about whether we should give them more time, or just have the conversation with them that it's not working out, no hard feelings, etc.

Anyway I'm a +1 with the idea of allowing us to see join dates and such, just for different reasons :)

• 1785 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:33 AM PDT

Wandidar said:

Here's a big one from a healer's perspective...

Group / raid frames that can be moved to where you want them, that show at least debuffs you can dispel along with health, that can be customized to show more or less depending on what is available to be shown in group / raid frames... that... and this is important... permit hover casting.

I personally really like my raid frames sort of center right on the screen, and I like to be able to assign my heal spells to my mouse (razer naga), and hover cast the heal I want on the person I want (within the group / raid frame)

This.  So much this.  We absolutely need to be able to move/resize UI elements as much as possible :)

• 3237 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:36 AM PDT

I agree Neph.  We use the same practice of rewarding those who go "above and beyond" and it's actually a required criteria for some of our higher ranks.  The exact verbiage we use is "Exemplary member as it pertains to our Guild Charter."  A veteran rank, in my opinion, is based mostly on time.  A "distinguished veteran" however is someone that has both put the time in and also gone above and beyond.  We separate the two.  And sorry, I was in the middle of editing my post before you quoted it.

This post was edited by oneADseven at October 30, 2017 9:06 AM PDT
    • 793 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:49 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

Porygon said:

I always felt that if someone quit or was kick from the guild, they should go into a "De-activated" state, where they still show up in the guild list tagged or greyed out, but remain there for like 7 days from their removal date. This way, other guild officers can see them, and maybe any notes on why someone removed them. Then if it turned out it was an error either on an officers part or accidental removal by the player, they can be re-invited and maintain their join date.

Yes, I removed myself from my guild once, while trying to explain to someone else how to remove themselves. I typed the command, but wasn't in /whisper mode at the time :) DOH!!!!

• 3237 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:05 AM PDT

Hah, great point Fulton.  Not sure how much programming would go into something like that but it sounds like a good idea.

• 53 posts
    October 30, 2017 3:20 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

It's funny you mention gating some of your player ranks behind seniority, Hateborn.  I always thought having a veteran player rank was pretty standard in an MMO but was recently criticized for having "a leadership structure dictated by join-date."  I spent quite a bit of time working on the ranking structure (with the help of others, thankfully) for TDC, and being completely honest, a lot of it was based on having many years of experience utilizing the robust guild UI from EQ2.  The idea was simple ... let's create a meaningful, progressive ranking structure that allows players to earn a distinguished rank or title in the guild.  Various metrics can be used, including join-date.  It would never make sense to label someone a veteran shortly after they join your guild.

Anyway, we wanted to create a tangible path for rank ascension that clearly outlines the requirements for obtaining each rank, and then also touches on some of the perks.  We had to get pretty clever with some of our perks because we don't actually have a game to play yet and it's possible some of these things may need to be altered down the road ... but if the guild UI is comparable to what we had available in EQ2, we should be able to accomplish our goals.  Working out the fine details will come with time but we are proud of the progress we have made.  Anyway, I'd like to share our ranking structure with you and gauge your input.  Here is a link where everything is defined:  http://www.tdcguild.com/structure/

Again, please keep in mind that some of the particular details are subject to change.  We are trying to be as proactive as possible when it comes to planning for the future, but we aren't "locked in" to anything.  We want to remain fluid enough so that we can adapt or change based on the options/functionalities/limitations that will be present in game.  I feel that a solid ranking stucture is really important when it comes to player recognition, and being able to easily identify a player's join date in the guild window serves as a great way to showcase the tenure of your senior members.  Big shout out to Pyye and other folks from TDC who helped define some of the rank names and perks used in our structure.

I will check it out. Thanks for asking for my input. I have been swamped in real life and have not had the time to focus on things here, but I will check it out as soon as i get a chance. Thanks!

• 1120 posts
    October 30, 2017 4:55 PM PDT

Fulton said:

oneADseven said:

Porygon said:

I always felt that if someone quit or was kick from the guild, they should go into a "De-activated" state, where they still show up in the guild list tagged or greyed out, but remain there for like 7 days from their removal date. This way, other guild officers can see them, and maybe any notes on why someone removed them. Then if it turned out it was an error either on an officers part or accidental removal by the player, they can be re-invited and maintain their join date.

Yes, I removed myself from my guild once, while trying to explain to someone else how to remove themselves. I typed the command, but wasn't in /whisper mode at the time :) DOH!!!!

When wow introduced guild reputation this happened.   Essentially as long as you didn't join another guild, your reputation with the first guild wouldn't change.   So if you rejoined 10 mins or 10 days later you would still be at the same spot.