Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Guns in Pantheon?

• 107 posts
    October 24, 2017 11:41 AM PDT

Well pretty simple, will there be guns as ranged weapons? Some fantasy games are ok with them some are against them.

On top of this what type of ranged weapons will we see? Bows, cross-bows (including 2 1 hander reapeaters), pistols (maybe dual wield), Arbalests, blunderbusts, rifles, wands, throwing knives, shurikens, throwing axes, javalins, and maybe even boalas. Will rangers be the only ones using ranged weapons or will other classes be able to use them effectively? Will casters have wand auto attacks mixed in? Will rogues be able to play ranged style or will it work into their gameplay at all? Will monks be using shurikens and the like for more than a standard pull? Will any pet classes be able to have a ranged pet like a necro using a skeletal archer?

• 633 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:05 PM PDT

I do know in the Cohh streams (at least two different streams) they talk about ranged attacks.  They did say that there will be ranged attacks, including for classes other than ranger.  Using a wand auto-attack ability also came up from Cohh, and the VR staff on the stream said it was an interesting idea.

As for guns, I personally hope not.  I'm against it myself, but it would not be a turn off for me.  I just prefer high fantasy, when you introduce guns the tendancy is to also introduce stream-punk or other styles along with it.

• 763 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:13 PM PDT

I seem to recall a post on that subject where VR intimated guns were 'not a thing they were currently thinking about' ... but the appropriate references escape me .... (If I am lucky Bazgrim will swoop to the rescue and provide the references needed)

However .... it is worth looking at the discussion about:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6293/elevators/view/post_id/114768

Yup ... I kid you not ....

Which came first ... the elevator or the gun ?
    ... read on to find out!

Evoras, bets on elevators guns elevators guns aaaaaarrrrgh!

• October 24, 2017 12:18 PM PDT

I personally would advocate against guns or firearms of any type.. just dont like them in my fantasy games )

• 48 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

Not a fan myself.

• 107 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:30 PM PDT

kelenin said:

I do know in the Cohh streams (at least two different streams) they talk about ranged attacks.  They did say that there will be ranged attacks, including for classes other than ranger.  Using a wand auto-attack ability also came up from Cohh, and the VR staff on the stream said it was an interesting idea.

As for guns, I personally hope not.  I'm against it myself, but it would not be a turn off for me.  I just prefer high fantasy, when you introduce guns the tendancy is to also introduce stream-punk or other styles along with it.

I have seen many fantasy games with them and many without. The things you lose without guns are ships with cannons, pirates styled after the old carribbean pirates, and of coarse the steampunk you mentioned. Does the game have no place for machinery then?

• 557 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:01 PM PDT

I think steampunk has been covered in other games, as have Carribean-style pirates.  I don't see the Pantheon lore aligning well with that theme.

For naval warfare, first, we need ships.  :-)   Then for ship-to-ship combat, how about a group of wizards reigning down the arcane version of Greek fire on their opponent's vessel?  Conjurers sending pets across the surface of the water.  Dwarven clerics casting shield walls to protect their crew and their ship.  Dark Myr rising from the water for close quarters combat like Navy SEALs...

I don't think we need cannons, blunderbi (time for a new plural for blunderbuss) or parrots.

This post was edited by Celandor at October 24, 2017 1:03 PM PDT
    • 753 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:18 PM PDT

For me, no guns in the game please.  

• 2752 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:35 PM PDT

I'd really prefer to not see guns/firearms of any kind. 

• 1120 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:36 PM PDT

I don't necessarily have an issue with guns.   But if you have guns, that means you have explosives, and I feel grenades and dynamite don't really fit in the world.

I never thought about dual wielding crossbows ala diablo3 demon hunters.   Interesting concept.

• 51 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:43 PM PDT

I would prefer zero guns.

• 9 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:46 PM PDT

I don't really think firearms fit the high fantasy theme - even matchlock, flintlock or muzzleloading types.  Repeating crossbows, siege weapons and alchemical thrown weapons would all fit nicely, though.

• 1618 posts
    October 24, 2017 1:50 PM PDT

They said they weren't doing steampunk, but instead using Archimedes as the basis of technology. So, maybe laser death rays?

• 3237 posts
    October 24, 2017 2:09 PM PDT

Not a huge deal to me either way but my personal preference is that I would rather not see guns in Pantheon.  Gnomes are clever though ... if they have an airship then it's perfectly reasonable that guns could exist in the world.  I like the oldschool MMO feel but let's keep in mind that Terminus is filled with races from a bunch of different planets.  It really leaves the storyline open for the future if they want to go a sci-fi expansion or something.  I enjoy more of a medieval setting myself but wouldn't mind seeing some farfetched stuff sprinkled in here or there to help demonstrate the diversity of the many races that call Terminus home.

• 2130 posts
    October 24, 2017 2:20 PM PDT

I really hope not.

• 2886 posts
    October 24, 2017 2:24 PM PDT

Evoras said:

(If I am lucky Bazgrim will swoop to the rescue and provide the references needed)

I gotcha covered.

No, there will not be guns in Pantheon. See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5319/what-kind-of-technology-will-there-be-and-who-will-produce-it

This post was edited by Bazgrim at October 24, 2017 2:25 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 24, 2017 2:54 PM PDT

zendrel said:

Well pretty simple, will there be guns as ranged weapons? Some fantasy games are ok with them some are against them.

On top of this what type of ranged weapons will we see? Bows, cross-bows (including 2 1 hander reapeaters), pistols (maybe dual wield), Arbalests, blunderbusts, rifles, wands, throwing knives, shurikens, throwing axes, javalins, and maybe even boalas. Will rangers be the only ones using ranged weapons or will other classes be able to use them effectively? Will casters have wand auto attacks mixed in? Will rogues be able to play ranged style or will it work into their gameplay at all? Will monks be using shurikens and the like for more than a standard pull? Will any pet classes be able to have a ranged pet like a necro using a skeletal archer?

Guns are PRECISELY why I refuse to play WoW....  Well, that and motorcyclles.

It's stupid in a "high fantasy" game based around a "days of log ago" style theme to have firearms.

• 281 posts
    October 24, 2017 3:03 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Not a huge deal to me either way but my personal preference is that I would rather not see guns in Pantheon.  Gnomes are clever though ... if they have an airship then it's perfectly reasonable that guns could exist in the world.  I like the oldschool MMO feel but let's keep in mind that Terminus is filled with races from a bunch of different planets.  It really leaves the storyline open for the future if they want to go a sci-fi expansion or something.  I enjoy more of a medieval setting myself but wouldn't mind seeing some farfetched stuff sprinkled in here or there to help demonstrate the diversity of the many races that call Terminus home.

I agree with this.

• 769 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:10 PM PDT

Not so much a fan of guns in my high fantasy games. I am, however, all for original uses for ranged attacks. 

For example, why haven't I seen a halfling with a blow-gun yet?! 

• 3852 posts
    October 24, 2017 4:21 PM PDT

Guns can go very well in a fantasy game but I go with the consensus - they don't match the Pantheon ambiance very well.

• 1778 posts
    October 24, 2017 8:20 PM PDT

As has been shown, the devs dont seem to favor them.

I think they would fit just fine and would still love to see them in a limited and primitive fashion. Not a deal breaker though for sure. Crossbows and Bows and Boomerangs (is that a Kilsin summoning technique 0.o?) will be just fine.

• 99 posts
    October 25, 2017 1:33 PM PDT
    My votes a no.. But if there are will there be back ground checks?? :)
    • 21 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:17 AM PDT
    No...just no please.
    • 1714 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:22 AM PDT

I detest the idea of guns in this game. 

• 3 posts
    October 30, 2017 10:28 AM PDT

In my opinion it does not fit this universe. I would prefer not to see them in this particular game.