Forums » Pantheon Classes

How about some classes being forced to used mixed armor types?

    • 299 posts
    September 2, 2017 11:53 PM PDT

    For some rough examples,

    A Paladin normally can equip 7 pieces of plate armor. Let's mix things up a bit for them and only allow them to equip tup 5 pieces of plate armor, plus any 2 other types of armor (chain would be next best).

    A Cleric could wear up to 6 pieces of Plate, plus 1 item no better than cloth armor.

    A Rogue could wear 5 pieces of chain, plus 2 pieces of leather and below.

    A Wizard could wear 7 pieces of cloth, plus the option of 1 plate armor (maybe requiring a skill to allow it).

    A Necromancer could wear 7 pieces of cloth, with the option to wear 3 pieces of leather.

    A Bard could wear 6 pieces of chain anywhere but the head, plus 1 piece of leather or below specifically in the head slot.

     

    I know theres like 0% chance the Devs would consider this especially at this stage. I think it could be fun though, adding more strategy to what and where you will equip your gear.

     

    Does anyone know of any games (not something like Elder Scrolls where they leave it all up to you) with an inventory that requires mixing armor types for certain classes?

    • 251 posts
    September 3, 2017 1:20 AM PDT

    Necromancers have no need for armor.  A robe, a staff, a sack full of bonechips, maybe some fishing line and good sharp hooks.  But certainly not armor.  It would just get in the way, and smell.  And we could never use leathers.  The Abomination would eat them.  Even if they have no bowels they will still eat it.  It just slops out on the floor through a hole in their torso. The smell is intolerable.  There is simply no way I could keep leathers around.  Unthinkable.

    • 299 posts
    September 3, 2017 1:28 AM PDT

    ZennExile said:

    Necromancers have no need for armor.  A robe, a staff, a sack full of bonechips, maybe some fishing line and good sharp hooks.  But certainly not armor.  It would just get in the way, and smell.  And we could never use leathers.  The Abomination would eat them.  Even if they have no bowels they will still eat it.  It just slops out on the floor through a hole in their torso. The smell is intolerable.  There is simply no way I could keep leathers around.  Unthinkable.

     

    Ahaha

    Alright, scratch off the necromancer example!

    • 447 posts
    September 3, 2017 2:39 PM PDT

    Why would it be a set number of pieces? 

    I never did understand why that Elf Cleric Breastplate would not fit my Elf Wizards body. Sure my be not a Gnome Wizards but elf to elf? Gnome to Gnome? Should fit. Obviously the Wizard wouldent have the strength to wear much plate, and would be lacking in other stats he needed. So it would be a bad choice... but it should fit.

     

    • 251 posts
    September 3, 2017 2:59 PM PDT

    I would love to see variations in class mechanics based on equipment choice in Pantheon.  Like what if a Cleric decided to trade in plate skill for cloth, and studied with monks to harden the body using the will to protect others as a shield.

    You could really have some fun with the variations and still remain exactly loyal to the underlying mechanics.  The Cloth + Body hardening would = Plate.  Like Newprin... little, yellow.  Different.

    • 299 posts
    September 4, 2017 4:40 AM PDT

    Zorkon said:

    Why would it be a set number of pieces?

    Yeah I dunno, it's probabably something that not everyone would be happy with. Not even sure if I can defend it making sense myself. LIke if the Paladin had the option they would probably go all plate, but if you restrict it then they won't have that choice. 

    • 21 posts
    September 4, 2017 9:39 AM PDT

    I think the best way this could be implemented, (perhaps not best for this game but,) best in general is if you are also able to pick your stat points as you level. Now a days you level and the points go in automatically to make sure someone does not fall off the hand holding trail and end up with a max level worthless character. So kind of think D&D with this, you have the basic Strength. Dexterity Constitution Intelligence Wisdom Charisma. Each class draws their power from a main and a secondary. So a High end raid plate mail would require high Strength that the wizard may not have and to gain power usage of the high raid gear wizard robes you need high Intelligence.  So sure if you want to cross build your wizard to wear plate you will be doing so while sacrificing points in your main skills. More freedom of choice is a good thing and I would love to see this system, or something like it. Sadly games have moved away from giving players responsibility over their choices these days. 


    This post was edited by DuckofDeath at September 4, 2017 9:55 AM PDT
    • 299 posts
    September 4, 2017 7:08 PM PDT

    DuckofDeath said:

    I think the best way this could be implemented, (perhaps not best for this game but,) best in general is if you are also able to pick your stat points as you level. Now a days you level and the points go in automatically to make sure someone does not fall off the hand holding trail and end up with a max level worthless character. So kind of think D&D with this, you have the basic Strength. Dexterity Constitution Intelligence Wisdom Charisma. Each class draws their power from a main and a secondary. So a High end raid plate mail would require high Strength that the wizard may not have and to gain power usage of the high raid gear wizard robes you need high Intelligence.  So sure if you want to cross build your wizard to wear plate you will be doing so while sacrificing points in your main skills. More freedom of choice is a good thing and I would love to see this system, or something like it. Sadly games have moved away from giving players responsibility over their choices these days. 

    I agree.  It would be nice to be able to allocate stat points as we level.  It is a pretty simple way to allow some customization of a character.  I suppose it could make balancing and tuning of character power more difficult.  

    • 2 posts
    September 5, 2017 4:40 AM PDT

    No. Forcing specific things on chars is annoying and frankly too old and outdated idea. Technically there's nothing what would prevent any class simply wear any armor. Difference can come from armor stats or materials or weight. For example, sneaky rogue may not find himself to be very sneaky while wearing a full plate armor, it would generate extra noise, have extra weight and so on (i.e. Noise Level +10, Sneak Level -10 or whatever the stats would be). Wizard can don a plate armor if he wants but may rethink that when he starts to cast, say, elemental spells and realizes that his fire spell heats up his armor or his shock spell likes to strike his metal plate chestpiece more often then it hits the enemies (Weakness to Fire/Shock, etc). These penalties can be even class specific, for example a warrior can wear plate chestpiece and his training or something allows him to avoid negative effects, while wizard has no such training and can wear the armor, sure but will have vulnerabilities. Same with say robes - sure, warrior can wear it and gain bonuses from the robe but willl receive Weakness to Slashing/Blunt etc debuff because he has not trained to use the robe for it's maximum effect.

    This would actually allow to mix and match armors then. You can technically wear any armor you want, but you need to consider and balance the weaknesses/debuffs as well, either by wearing specific jewery, applying enchantments and so on. Or, you can wear a full set of armor for your class and instead use items/enchantments to improve other areas. Your choice. But at least it is YOUR CHOICE.

    • 251 posts
    September 8, 2017 4:22 PM PDT

    Or you could simplify everything down to a costume slot, and runes.  Then you can wear anything you want and just slot Runes of the type your class benefits from.  But that removes equipment from the game entirely other than weapons.

    • 9 posts
    September 11, 2017 9:25 AM PDT

    IMO, why not allow any class (not any race) wear what ever armor but have stats to help/penalize you? Gear also should make you faster/slower so a dps might want to use lighter gear to attack faster.

     

    Heavy Gear: More AC/HPs, little mana and makes you slower/attack slower.

    Med Gear: Normal amount of AC, HPs, Mana and speed

    Light Gear: Low AC/HPs, lots of mana, increased move speed

     

    If there are 8 gear slots than a ranger might want 2 heavy, 2 light, 4 medium...if you're pulling maybe you want 4 light, 2 med, 2 heavy...if you're tanking maybe 4 heavy, 2 med, 2 light


    This post was edited by Utica at September 12, 2017 9:38 AM PDT
    • 1135 posts
    September 11, 2017 10:38 AM PDT

    Gnog said:

    DuckofDeath said:

    I think the best way this could be implemented, (perhaps not best for this game but,) best in general is if you are also able to pick your stat points as you level. Now a days you level and the points go in automatically to make sure someone does not fall off the hand holding trail and end up with a max level worthless character. So kind of think D&D with this, you have the basic Strength. Dexterity Constitution Intelligence Wisdom Charisma. Each class draws their power from a main and a secondary. So a High end raid plate mail would require high Strength that the wizard may not have and to gain power usage of the high raid gear wizard robes you need high Intelligence.  So sure if you want to cross build your wizard to wear plate you will be doing so while sacrificing points in your main skills. More freedom of choice is a good thing and I would love to see this system, or something like it. Sadly games have moved away from giving players responsibility over their choices these days. 

    I agree.  It would be nice to be able to allocate stat points as we level.  It is a pretty simple way to allow some customization of a character.  I suppose it could make balancing and tuning of character power more difficult.  

     

    I don't think stats should go up at all when leveling. Let players make their characters and give them 20-30 points to allocate amongst their racial starting stats then let that be that. It makes stat balancing a bit easier in the long run, and lets us keep stats/items more meaningful overall. In games that players can allocate stats when leveling, almost everyone of any given class spends those point on a clear cut best stat for their class anyway.


    It makes sense to allow anyone to wear any armor type from a realism point of view, but from a GAME point it seems pointless outside of cosmetic sets. As a non-cleric caster you'd never realistically be wearing heavy/plate armor to any sort of combat due to the massive penalties to spell casting you'd incur, the same as tanks not jumping in with cloth armor unless they want to fold in a couple hits. Yes a wizard could hold a sword or put on some plate but they aren't trained to maneuver in such armor or how to wield that sword properly so what's the point? It's a small price to pay having restrictions to prevent complete loot and balancing mayhem, with the only fix being huges bonuses for using certain armor/weapons which is almost the same as restricting them entirely. The better option if anything, IMO, would be allowing players full control with cosmetic sets but actually equipping/adventure gear remaining limited to class. 

    • 783 posts
    September 13, 2017 5:07 PM PDT

    Why force the issue when stats (plusses and minuses) should determine what a character puts in a given slot.  No, not every class (or race for that matter) should be able to wear all armor types.  Nearly every game out to date has items across the level spread which are All/All in various slots.  That is all that is needed.  No, a caster doesn't (nor shouldnt) be able to don a metal chest piece, or even a leather one.  They are stuck with silk.  But in the neck slots perhaps there is a gorget out there that has some benefit for every class and is All/All.  Create the variety and let the players pick and choose, don't force it.