Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

So Much Green!

• 2130 posts
    July 20, 2017 6:23 PM PDT

Skybox looks better in the video there, definitely. Some of these screenshots are unflattering to the game world imo.

• 267 posts
    July 21, 2017 7:16 AM PDT

Kittik said:

Keldaria said:

Ehh, keep in mind mechnized farming isn't really a thing in pantheon. Not saying it couldn't look like your picture but it has less reason to look like your picture if you aren't using mechnized methods. 

To me, thats the issue, I'm assuming there isn't a mechanized farming method, so those lines shouldn't be that straight and those angles so square.

I hear you, however I think thats just a side effect of them attempting to make it clear "This is a farm" rather than just some plants growing natively on a floodplain. Its honestly hard to strike a balance between the 2 extremes of "This is a farm" and "This is nature" in some scenario's. I think this may be one of them. 

vylo said:

There's lots of obsessing over realism-based details in here.  Whether one thinks the art style ought to be more stylized or more realistic, I don't think mega-zooming in on details is that useful at this point.  Since it's so early, it seems higher priority to give feedback about higher level things like color palette.

My view is that ultra-realism should not be the goal for various reasons; in fact I'd like to see more saturated colors, e.g. more vibrant green grass.  I think the world could use a touch more stylization in this way.

In terms of worldbuilding, I really like how much height variation there is in the terrain, it'll make exploration that much more interesting.  That's something I've appreciated in a lot of the images and videos -- the devs seem willing to push the boundaries when it comes to terrain formation and height.

I tend to agree, I know I sometimes get off track and obsess over small details. Just a habbit of mine that comes with the knowledge of how things like that should work. I can't tell you the number of times I was strolling through Skyrim and thought 'well thats not natural, there is no way X would've been built that way or that it was unlikely if not impossible that nature would've developed like that, someone did that because they thought it looked cool' and spent a few minutes obsessing over how it should've been done if they wanted it to be correct. Ultimately I find I just need to stand back and recognize that this is in essence art and its creator while a master at many things couldn't possibly be a master at all. Sometimes its these imperfections that give a game its unique character and sometimes as much as I admit it can bother me, I find it oddly satisfying to turn the corner to something unexpected that I can't explain or that doesn't seem to make sense.

At any rate, color palettes aren't really my thing. As long as it fits the game or at least the area its used in the game then I'm good with it. I don't really get bothered by it unless completey off. 

• 34 posts
    July 21, 2017 1:58 PM PDT

Like I said on Facebook I liked it.

• 249 posts
    July 22, 2017 7:04 AM PDT

Second picture is funky to me. On top of the strange water farm it seems empty. Coniferous trees and deciduous trees growing singularly out in the open seems out of place. Would like to see more smaller plant life...taller grasses. Shrubbery! Lol I do like the building styles though. 

Totally different genre of games but have your world designers take a look at a game called The Hunter:Call of the Wild. There are moments in that game that are absolutely breathtaking. It's the first game that has made me just sit there and really look at everything. Obviously that level of detail is impossible in a MMO but it's a great reference! (I also recommend pledges check out a playthrough just for the visuals. It's awesome!)

• 9115 posts
    July 22, 2017 8:07 AM PDT

Ashvaild said:

Second picture is funky to me. On top of the strange water farm it seems empty. Coniferous trees and deciduous trees growing singularly out in the open seems out of place. Would like to see more smaller plant life...taller grasses. Shrubbery! Lol I do like the building styles though. 

Totally different genre of games but have your world designers take a look at a game called The Hunter:Call of the Wild. There are moments in that game that are absolutely breathtaking. It's the first game that has made me just sit there and really look at everything. Obviously that level of detail is impossible in a MMO but it's a great reference! (I also recommend pledges check out a playthrough just for the visuals. It's awesome!)

Hey Ashvaild, unfortunately, I had to remove your two images as it is against forum guidelines plus this is a CM thread about Pantheon so I need to keep it focussed on our game but I understand what you mean.

The tough thing for us is, we will be hosting hundreds/thousands of players at once on a completely different game engine with spell/partical effects, buffs, constant tick rates on server calculations, model rendering, weapons, armour and a ton more NPCs/AI/Scripts compared to a hunting game that has a few players able to do coop together that is also built for consoles, they are able to focus much more on the realism and graphics due to how much other stuff they are leaving out of their game, stuff that we have to have in, so it is a bit unfair to compare us to a game like that.

If it was possible you would see all MMORPGs with photo realistic graphics and one day that will probably be the case but sadly not for us just yet, and besides we are a high fantasy game that has some realistic elements which is why we have gone with the graphical theme you see in these shots (which are still a WIP in closed development taken in the old shader/lighting client). :)

• 483 posts
    July 22, 2017 10:06 AM PDT

@Kilsin

I'm getting exited about these new shaders/lighting effects! Can you give a small description or hint of what the game look like with them :)

• 9115 posts
    July 22, 2017 5:41 PM PDT

jpedrote said:

@Kilsin

I'm getting exited about these new shaders/lighting effects! Can you give a small description or hint of what the game look like with them :)

I am just as excited to show you guys man, it looks good! I am waiting for the devs to let me loose to take screenshots again :D

• 3016 posts
    July 22, 2017 6:19 PM PDT

Kittik said:

blockquote]Keldaria said:

Iksar said:

Ehh, keep in mind mechnized farming isn't really a thing in pantheon. Not saying it couldn't look like your picture but it has less reason to look like your picture if you aren't using mechnized methods. 

To me, thats the issue, I'm assuming there isn't a mechanized farming method, so those lines shouldn't be that straight and those angles so square.

Even the ancients made pictures and other things on the land ..with straight lines and not so straight lines.  And they couldn't fly above the planet in those days.   I don't think we really need to get THAT concerned about what should be straight and what shouldn't be.   Most people when they finally enter the game won't be looking at that...they'll be running around exploring and killing stuffs. :)   Leaning Tower of Piza comes to mind..how on earth did they manage that..and it stood at an angle.  :)

• 3016 posts
    July 22, 2017 6:20 PM PDT

@Kilsin  those pictures look like HOME to me.   :)

• 267 posts
    July 22, 2017 8:15 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Leaning Tower of Piza comes to mind..how on earth did they manage that..and it stood at an angle.  :)

in case that was genuine curiosity. The leaning tower of pisa was actually intended to be built straight (plumb) but the earth under one side was too soft and they didn't put adaquate foundations under that side to compensate so it sank during construction. The architect actually tried to compensate for the lean by building the additional floors with walls higher on one end so the tower actually has a slight curve in it because of this.

so the lean was not really by design, but rather by a mistake. 

This post was edited by Keldaria at July 22, 2017 8:16 PM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    July 24, 2017 5:58 PM PDT

I think all the green is a subconscious response by Brad to undo all the years of 'too much brown' which was written across numerous forums before and during the Vanguard days.