Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Item durability cons and pros

This topic has been closed.
    • 13 posts
    July 14, 2017 7:31 PM PDT

As I feared its come to my attention that the devs are split on this very important subject. It makes me fear that the devs are not all EQ veterans who support the old ways of mmorpgs instead of the new money sink/hand holding mmorpgs.

cons

1. repeative quests to earn money for repairs. Over and over each day = boring.

2. bigger and bigger bills cause of death and exploring, people getting angry on new players for failing too much = drama = more grind = boring.

3. using bag space for repair kits is tedious and makes you micro manage your inventory = boring.

4. in old adventure story telling an magic item = normal item enchanted by a powerful spellcaster = indestructable, unless the magic is removed from the item from an powerful spellcaster. with that said, the only reason to put in item repair is a gold eating mechanic. I'm pretty sure most veteran EQ players would hate/find boring and tedious to do = not fun = boring.

5. It was not in EQ, why in the name of god are you guys even thinking about putting it in.. It's a mechanic from new games, I thought VR with Pantheon wanted to go back to the roots of mmorpgs.

6. Imagine going to a dungeon with your cool friends you know its gonna be a long adventure day and your group set off to use most of the sunday going down into "panthilis" (fiction name i just came up with), but darn you have som fails on the clearing down and woopsie out of repair kits. This will now force the group to have to go back to a vendor to repair.... Probally breaking the group up and destorying the fun they had......... WHY WHY WHY are you even thinking of putting it in "blows my mind".

Pros

1. makes some crafters happy?, say what.......

2. make some new players that wants the "new mmorpgs ways" be happy ? 

Cannot find any other than that... seriously i can not, From a player perspective that is.

from a Worried pledger that fears his money is wasted on yet another game that will try and cater to the majority instead of following the old ways of MMORPGs. ( "EQ" )

my english is not that good it is not my main language so i hope i do not offend anyone, just stating my worries and thoughts on the subject.

Chloroment

This post was edited by raimotion at July 14, 2017 7:36 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    July 14, 2017 7:42 PM PDT

I don't think we need another thread about this, personally.

• 267 posts
    July 14, 2017 8:46 PM PDT
    lol I think your list might be a tad bias. I mean your list of pro's essentially comes down to 2 items that claim it will make people happy without actually diving into the reasons why it would make them happy and your cons appear to be a stretched out list covering similar items and a couple of items that rest on the assumption that pantheon is meant to be eq or that it's not meant to push new ideas.

Mind you discussion on this matter is fine, lord knows there are plenty of other threads on the subject so you are fully entitled to your opinion of it not being a good idea but if you truely wish to understand why a system like that might be considered, then usually the first step is taking an open approach to what advocates feel would be strong benefits of such a system. You may find that a lot of your cons list could be controlled, limited or even elimated while your pros list expands. I know this because I have seen such a system function well.

Ultimately everyone is looking for different things and truth be told I've not seen anything that would indicate this idea is being taken anymore seriously than any other so ultimately you may find that you have nothing to worry about.
    • 9115 posts
    July 14, 2017 8:49 PM PDT

Sorry folks but this is one topic that has been discussed to death, too many threads already exist on this subject and I will need to ask that you search for them and contribute to the ones that are not already closed as this one will have to be closed for being a duplicate.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at July 14, 2017 8:50 PM PDT