Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon PVP Forum?

• 76 posts
    May 26, 2018 5:05 PM PDT

FFA with coin loot.  Boom no instancing. The goal of PvP is to contest content and see who’s the best at PvP. Or kill someone if they’re at a camp you want.

If you don’t like FFA go to a PvE sever and just /duel people. If you want a kick at PvP. But Battlegrounds actually have LESS of a point to them than a FFA does and tbh just don’t acomplish Anything.

Just because it’s a FFA doesn’t mean they can’t add a level range of like +5/-5 (just a number lower or raise it if needed). This also doesn’t mean you can’t group up or guild with others.

This post was edited by eldrun at May 26, 2018 5:06 PM PDT
    • 22 posts
    May 27, 2018 1:26 AM PDT

Just to clarify for the non PvP believers spamming here. if you don’t like it, don’t play the PvP server. 

From Brad himself, I quote “PvP by launch we hope to have one shard, and that would likely be an FFA shard. That said, PvP is very important to us, with one of Pantheon's expansions likely centered around it. It would be at this time that a variety of PvP settings and rulesets would be exposed to the segment of the player base who enjoys the extra dimension of gameplay PvP brings to an MMO.

Rallos Zek ruleset please, ffa, 1 item loot, coin, 4 lvl engage range. Make it happen captain.

Give us a place to talk PvP without interruptions from people that disagree with our play style, we aren’t going on the PvE forums and tell them we don’t like it. In fact we want everything the PvE community wants with the addition to the rulesets above, please no battle ground or queing of any type, none of that lfg auto teleporting crap either.. A man can dream.

Love you VR, bring back hard classic mmo PvP along with a rich gameplay experience! <3

• 89 posts
    May 27, 2018 11:06 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:I don't see a proper implementation that would not break one of the basic rules of pantheon : No instances.

To throw PvP a bone despite not being a fan of PvP in Pantheon myself, the old Everquest city zones did have arenas where the Warrior Guildmasters would hang out.

Stepping inside those arenas (basically a fight pit or mini-colosseum) would make you PvP flagged. You got a message saying "You have entered a PVP area" or some such.

I suppose that could still be a thing in the cities. It would enable basic PvP in a confined area which would enable players to duel eachother, do mini events or tournaments for fun or roleplay, to settle a dispute or whatever else.

I'm not opposed to natural and logical PvP area such as that inside the cities, even on PvE servers, since it would just be a natural part of the game world.

Note though that these arenas had no objectives, goals, scores, flags to capture or anything like that. Any scoring, objectives or winning was determined by the players themselves (as it should be in a game that focuses on community and interacting with eachother rather than having some dead, artificial system handled by the game itself). You simply jumped in and were flagged to fight.

• 801 posts
    May 27, 2018 11:13 PM PDT

Will this be more a pvp type or pve with some pvp teams? Based mainly on ganking. Some people have talked about this being a pvp game they may want. Since we really have no info on it what is to expect? just the pve with added turning red to gank others if you want?

Or will there be some conquest type pvp actions. I know its too early to tell but DAOC had a pvp system that worked for so many people.

Wow was good in vanilla too.

• 89 posts
    May 28, 2018 12:05 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

Will this be more a pvp type or pve with some pvp teams? Based mainly on ganking. Some people have talked about this being a pvp game they may want. Since we really have no info on it what is to expect? just the pve with added turning red to gank others if you want?

Or will there be some conquest type pvp actions. I know its too early to tell but DAOC had a pvp system that worked for so many people.

From what I can tell it's only about copy/paste a PvE server, turn on everyone's PvP flag on that server and go do whatever.

So yeah, pretty much just ganking and random open world PvP, which is a prime reason I'm opposed to Open World PvP in MMOs. I never saw it lead to anything other than massive zerg-fests (Warhammer Online, Barrens in WoW and other examples) as well as gank-fests where one side ensures they have more people than those they trying to kill and then ambush those people, often repeatedly until they log off or leave altogether.

Maybe there will be some even fights now and then, but the ganking vs fair fight ratio is definitely not 1:1 in any open world pvp game I have ever played.

Either way, if someone wants to have a gank-server with open PvP then go right ahead. Just keep the PvP far away from PvE servers, e.g. as mentioned at most a /duel option or a mini-colosseum or fight pit like in Everquest.

• 189 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:03 AM PDT

And as far as I've read from some replies and other topics. I believe a sub forum created specifically for PVP will be on the new website.

Just FYI for people.

• 3016 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:24 AM PDT

Dreadstar said:

Just to clarify for the non PvP believers spamming here. if you don’t like it, don’t play the PvP server. 

From Brad himself, I quote “PvP by launch we hope to have one shard, and that would likely be an FFA shard. That said, PvP is very important to us, with one of Pantheon's expansions likely centered around it. It would be at this time that a variety of PvP settings and rulesets would be exposed to the segment of the player base who enjoys the extra dimension of gameplay PvP brings to an MMO.

Rallos Zek ruleset please, ffa, 1 item loot, coin, 4 lvl engage range. Make it happen captain.

Give us a place to talk PvP without interruptions from people that disagree with our play style, we aren’t going on the PvE forums and tell them we don’t like it. In fact we want everything the PvE community wants with the addition to the rulesets above, please no battle ground or queing of any type, none of that lfg auto teleporting crap either.. A man can dream.

Love you VR, bring back hard classic mmo PvP along with a rich gameplay experience! <3

I am a long time pvper...years in fact.   VR has stated over and over again that this game world will be PVE focussed,  with a shard/realm or two that are pvp focused and balanced for pvp.   None of the other servers that are pve ..will be affected or balanced for pvp.   

And I haven't heard anything about instanced/battleground or pvp in a box...on PVE servers.    Balance for pve will be pve based on pve servers.  Balance for pvp will be pvp based on pvp servers.       Makes sense to me,  if you start allowing pvp instances on pve servers..that's going to affect the balance for pve.    Also,  any "instancing" is supposed to be very limited..on pve servers..and mainly, possibly for epic weapon quests or storylines. 

From the FAQ - 16.0             "Pantheon is primarily a PvE (player vs. environment) game. In fact, when we say ‘environment’, we don’t just mean NPCs, but also contending with climates and atmospheres, the very world itself.

That said, we understand that a portion of our target audience also enjoys player vs. player.

Our experience is that separate PvE and PvP shards is the answer, however it is too early to predict how many PvP shards we would launch with. That being said, we will definitely launch with at least one player vs. player shard.

It is also worth mentioning that when we do eventually focus on PvP we will do so such that tweaks and changes to classes and races in order to make PvP more fun will not affect the balance of Pantheon’s PvE experience. As the game grows there could be additional variations of PvP shards and more attention paid to the unique gameplay mechanics associated with PvP.  - end quote

Also from FaQ 16.1 -- "The issue with balance and PvP vs PvE is not one that is that difficult to solve but it does require planning: you just use different formulas and data - you don't cross your streams. That way, if we need to make Paladins in PvE more powerful, we can do that without disrupting PvP balance. And vice versa.   - end quote.

The full FAQ list is here:   https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at May 28, 2018 6:34 AM PDT
    • 168 posts
    May 29, 2018 3:18 PM PDT

Crazzie said:

Very true, DAoC still is the gold standard for 24/7/365 pvp (RvR for them). No small part of its epic reputation resulted from 3-way (3 factions) pvp design with real objectives; access to Darkness Falls (Dungeon) and realm wide PvE buffs such as an extra 5%(ish) gold drop from mobs.

• 5 posts
    May 29, 2018 3:54 PM PDT

Great old school eq pvp to be had on P99red right now.

Come join us in some old school EQ pvp till Pantheon rises!

Old school EQ pvp is still the best anyone has managed!

Spode-P99RED

• 22 posts
    May 29, 2018 6:00 PM PDT

Stuntbum said:

Great old school eq pvp to be had on P99red right now.

Come join us in some old school EQ pvp till Pantheon rises!

Old school EQ pvp is still the best anyone has managed!

Spode-P99RED

No offense but red99 is more blue than p99. Literally pixel raid to get in line for dragon loots on a 3 month long waiting list, even being rushed to the front of the “line” or you get left overs. That’s coming from someone that knows the leaders of apex. No item loot and extreme nut holding, your better off playing the “arcade mode” EQ emu Servers. There is a few more about to open up shortly, devnoob server season basically ended. Till there is is pantheon open, it’s either mortal online or ascension (hate to say the word, but ascension wow server - most non wow server I’ve ever played item loot, custom class make ups)