Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Player made quests (tasks)

• 417 posts
    May 16, 2017 12:46 PM PDT

I think it would be fun if there was a way for players to create small quests for other players through a town bulletin board. You post what you want done and the reward that you are offering, then the first person to complete the task gets the reward. It could be used by crafters to get the mats they need. Or a way fun way to give older gear to newer players. Or even a way to create community events.

• 610 posts
    May 16, 2017 1:10 PM PDT

Players use to do this all the time on FV RP server in EQ1...no need to waste dev time designing a system that the players can and have created in the past

• 160 posts
    May 16, 2017 1:11 PM PDT

Back in EQ, just as a goof...a couple friends and I would act like NPC's in newbie zones and give out quests.  We would do the whole [quest word] thing in our /say and everything.  Good for a few giggles.

• 422 posts
    May 16, 2017 1:44 PM PDT

Thorndeep said:

I think it would be fun if there was a way for players to create small quests for other players through a town bulletin board. You post what you want done and the reward that you are offering, then the first person to complete the task gets the reward. It could be used by crafters to get the mats they need. Or a way fun way to give older gear to newer players. Or even a way to create community events.

I like the idea. It could easily be an extension of the regional auction house systems. Instead of posting items for cash, you could post them to a board or an NPC as a quest. It would be simple collection quest type things of course. No crazy scripting or elaborate stuff. Have the quests grant a small amount of xp along with whatever reward was being offered. The reward would need to be detailed up front to prevent abuse or scams and such. Maybe a minimum gold reward based on vendor price of the item multiplied by some number... maybe doubled? something that would make it worth someone's time to collect and turn in, but not more than could be had on the actual market place. Maybe use the market place values and average them. The quest reard minimum would then rise and fall with the current market value.

Maybe this could allow for the gathering and turn in of no drop quest items, although this would of course need to be limited. Maybe only to no drop faction quest items or some such. Equipment that was no drop would obviously be excluded. This would allow for people who just happen to be camping a spot that drops these faction items or quest items, but have no use for said items, make some use of them. People who hate farming these types of items (like myself) could post these quests with a reward and maybe be able to collect the quest items without needing to spend weeks farming a spot they don;t wish to farm.

Again this would need to have some sort of limit placed on it to stop someone from posting rewards for tons of these quest items and being able to raise faction easily making the time invested trivial. Restrict it to maybe 1-5 of the same item a day, or maybe only allow one single quest post per person/character a day.

• 169 posts
    May 16, 2017 2:49 PM PDT
    I also love the idea of players being able to give out quests or posting things on a bulletin board in each major city, this would create more player interaction and could help the more casual players to make money or get the stuff they need to progress.
    • 417 posts
    May 16, 2017 4:32 PM PDT

corpserunner said:

Back in EQ, just as a goof...a couple friends and I would act like NPC's in newbie zones and give out quests.  We would do the whole [quest word] thing in our /say and everything.  Good for a few giggles.

That is just awesome, I love it.

@Kellindil I hadn't thought about no drop items. Unfortunately, do to the nature of no drop, I don't think they could be given to another player as that is the point of no drop. However, hopefully Pantheon won't have a lot of no drop items, especially for quest/faction related things, and this feature would be a great way to get those items that you just don't feel lilke farming. The reward would certianly need to be stated very clearly upfront but it would be up to the player creating the quest to determine exactly what the reward was. If they wanted to really get other players to complete the task then the reward would have to be high enough to motivate someone else to do it.

@Megaera Agreed, I think this would be a great way to create more player interaction, as well as, immersion.

• 110 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:24 PM PDT

Sevens said:

Players use to do this all the time on FV RP server in EQ1...no need to waste dev time designing a system that the players can and have created in the past

I don't think it would be a waste at all.  Its a pretty cool idea.  Secondly these are afterall development forums so ideas are getting posted all the time.  Third I am inclined to let the devs decide what is or isn't a waste of time for them :-)