Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Wandering Mobs

• 839 posts
    May 3, 2017 8:20 PM PDT

Inside the tower we saw a few wandering mobs on the stream the other day.  We know there are plenty out in the open world, I would really love to see many more of these wanderers in areas like the tower and dungeons.  Especially ones on fairly large paths to keep everyone in the zone on their feet.   I feel like these wanderers give a lot of life and danger to a zone and I also really the idea of some of these being casters who are stopping off at various mobs throughout their path to buff them, again this just adds lots of life to the area!

Also... can't wait to see healers & enchanters included in the mobs we are fighting! I think someone in the stream mentioned eventually to have mobs charming players which is great and adds such a (sometimes) hysterical aspect to the fight when your rogue goes rogue and starts backstabbing the group lol!

Wondering if people generally agree or disagree with more of these wanderers in dungeon type settings?

• 4 posts
    May 3, 2017 8:24 PM PDT

Great ideas

• 2138 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:11 PM PDT

I like the idea of a good population of wondering mobs in dungeons. Maybe like 70% static and 30% roamers provided it makes senseot the place. Like Miners would be static while the foreman would be wandering (checking on the workers)

• 9115 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:14 PM PDT

Absolutely mate, what we showed off was very early implementation of AI pathing and abilities, there will be a lot more including but not limited to the possibility of zone wide pathers, dungeon-wide pathers (and even patrol groups etc.) so it definitely isn't a finished product yet, be sure to keep an eye out for more progress as we get further into development ;)

• 839 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:30 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Absolutely mate, what we showed off was very early implementation of AI pathing and abilities, there will be a lot more including but not limited to the possibility of zone wide pathers, dungeon-wide pathers (and even patrol groups etc.) so it definitely isn't a finished product yet, be sure to keep an eye out for more progress as we get further into development ;)

Fanbloodytastic Mate! :) It gives lots more reasons for a sneaky rogue to be utilising sneak and scouting up ahead for incoming wanderers who may want to crash the party if not controlled quickly!

Manouk said:

I like the idea of a good population of wondering mobs in dungeons. Maybe like 70% static and 30% roamers provided it makes senseot the place. Like Miners would be static while the foreman would be wandering (checking on the workers)

That's a perfect example with the miners etc mate, add to this that he is an alarmist who will look to grab his workers to drop tools and fight for him :)

• 78 posts
    May 4, 2017 4:09 AM PDT

Nobody l ikes the Foreman!

On a serious note - I am all for improved mob AI and 'randomness' thrown into the cap spawn / path cycle (It was great to see Zynx get one shot by that wizard lol).

• 483 posts
    May 4, 2017 6:37 AM PDT

Love the idea of zone wide pathers, makes the puller role a lot more interesting in large open zones.

• 1281 posts
    May 4, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

Would be cool if there were multiple timings/paths for wandering mobs, which would be randomly picked each spawn. Really keep things interesting rather than knowing for sure something is walking by in 15 minutes.

• 74 posts
    May 4, 2017 8:28 PM PDT

Holly Windstalker *eye twitch*, the bane of Qeynos hills!

• 2886 posts
    May 5, 2017 3:17 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Would be cool if there were multiple timings/paths for wandering mobs, which would be randomly picked each spawn. Really keep things interesting rather than knowing for sure something is walking by in 15 minutes.

That is currently the plan. See this clip from the last stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139626575?t=47m17s

• 4 posts
    May 5, 2017 4:20 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

bigdogchris said:

That is currently the plan. See this clip from the last stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139626575?t=47m17s

Ah, cool. I really hope that by dynamic, they mean the pathing will reflect the state of the dungeon/camp/zone/whatever and not just randomized. I'd like to see patrols' sense of urgency increase as they path by depopulated rooms. After two or three camps are empty, they divert their path to join another patrol and adjust their route, doing the same thing potentially if the trend continues or maybe diverting to an armory, etc., to suit up (i.e., re-constitute patrol groups into more balanced groups) or something. Relatively simple systems like that that can cascade into putting an entire area on high alert or even into a complete frenzy because of your carelessness would be awesome.

• 1281 posts
    May 5, 2017 3:13 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

bigdogchris said:

Yeah, I remember them talking about different dispositions for enemies. It should make the game quiet dynamic and unpredictable.

• 19 posts
    May 5, 2017 3:53 PM PDT

Love the concept of huge area/zone wide pathers, and caster types that do long term buffs on allies. Makes the game feel more alive if our opponents have buffs and move about more.  Also, consider having mobs rez fallen mobs, not just necromancer style, but cleric style rez.  As a long time D&D player one of my favorite things is whatever the players can do, the GM can do and more.  Another idea, perhaps have a disposition type that actual sounds an alarm via a horn or bugle that summons all nearby mobs within x yards as you would think opponents would react to the noise of combat or warning signal just as much as actually seeing it.

• 238 posts
    May 6, 2017 9:47 PM PDT
    How about the Dragon in Waking Lands and Dreadlands. Talk about adding fear to an area. Wandering raid targets when done right can add to a zones danger twofold.
    • 6 posts
    May 8, 2017 6:22 AM PDT
    This is always a cool thing with me even in the open world. Exploring a creepy road and all of a sudden having to duck for cover because of a large creature patrolling it. :)
    • 3852 posts
    May 8, 2017 7:39 AM PDT

Wandering mobs and unpredicatability is good - I agree,

What I hate is wandering high level mobs in much lower level zones. Sure it may be realistic for a level 50 dragon to decide that level 1 characters make a tasty and safe lunch, but I truly hate dying because of totally random encounters where I have 0 chance of either flighting or fleeing.

• 513 posts
    May 8, 2017 7:46 AM PDT

How about insane agro radiuseses, er, radia?  I was bound above the pot room in TimDeep and the agro radius of Feydadar was INSANE!  Like lower third of the entire zone insane.

• 134 posts
    May 8, 2017 5:24 PM PDT

Xonth said: How about the Dragon in Waking Lands and Dreadlands. Talk about adding fear to an area. Wandering raid targets when done right can add to a zones danger twofold.

God I remember the "GORENAIRE TO KARNOR'S LOOKOUT!" shouts. Those were terrifying. I also hate when no one shouts it and suddenly my group was feared and one shot promptly.

• 470 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:39 AM PDT

Hokanu said:

Inside the tower we saw a few wandering mobs on the stream the other day.  We know there are plenty out in the open world, I would really love to see many more of these wanderers in areas like the tower and dungeons.  Especially ones on fairly large paths to keep everyone in the zone on their feet.   I feel like these wanderers give a lot of life and danger to a zone and I also really the idea of some of these being casters who are stopping off at various mobs throughout their path to buff them, again this just adds lots of life to the area!

Also... can't wait to see healers & enchanters included in the mobs we are fighting! I think someone in the stream mentioned eventually to have mobs charming players which is great and adds such a (sometimes) hysterical aspect to the fight when your rogue goes rogue and starts backstabbing the group lol!

Wondering if people generally agree or disagree with more of these wanderers in dungeon type settings?

I'm an old school EQ fan so yes, I like the idea of roamiing mobs. Notr only in the dungeons, but above ground too. I hope we have some high level overland mobs like the old Commonlands griffon and Hill Giant. That stuff led to hilarity sometimes.

Back to the dungeons, roaming mobs can add a random element of chaos to a rather mundane situation, so yes, I wholeheartedly support that. We love enchanters for a reason. And the more reasons you can give a class to be desired and different the better.

• 238 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:07 AM PDT

Was not a fan of BDO but one things I liked during my short time was the NPC traders that walked up and down the roads. They aren’t for combat but just add a nice touch to make a road feel alive. I could see NPC walking back and forth between Freeport and the Common Lands along the main road. Could make it random with no value besides making it look more like a real road. Maye one might be leading a horse or cart, another could have an armed bodyguard or even a small militia with them. They would just spawn at one zone line and walk across the zone to the end and despawn.

This post was edited by Xonth at May 9, 2017 3:08 AM PDT
    • 33 posts
    May 9, 2017 4:26 PM PDT

Minotaur hero to Akannon zone!!!!

• 1778 posts
    May 10, 2017 9:46 AM PDT
    Danger is always welcome
    • 4 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:23 AM PDT

There are many fond memories of DAOC, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, Asheron's Call, Lineage and up to World of Warcraft, Rift and beyond.

But none, save some bits and pieces of WOW, have caused such mind bending, panic inducing, heart wrenching excitement as the trains in the original EQ. Nothing to me really comes close. (Trains = an npc/mob is chasing you and it runs by another mob, that mob attaches to original mob, this continues, building up to insane numbers sometimes)(add to this that once a train is formed, even low level mobs join as they now, with large numbers, can wreak havoc with the most experience veteran)(think killer bees!) 

The trains -almost- offset the tear inducing death penalty/corpse retrival of said EQ.

This was foremost in my mind as I sat the other day with the group healing/medding up playing in an old favorite DOAC dungeon. A poser-train of monsters ran by us chasing another group. When the other group zoned the mobs came sauntering back by us, walking literally right over us, as if we did not exist. It was very sad, it made no sense.

I'm just getting started in the forums and I'm sure it's been discussed here before, apologies. But hopefully the designers of Pantheon will make trains part of the game, keeping it from being powerleveling non-stop action rehash of every mmorpg in recent memory, to one of careful planning and slow methodical execution of -any- offensive action on any npc, single or grouped.

One wrong move could be disastrous. And if the mobs can't chase you to a zone, at least have them chase you a long, long way, so that one just can't 'test whack' a mob/mobs, then run away and come back a minute later to try again no big deal, no penalty.

Getting back to trains, a train has no friends, makes no judgement calls, and does not ignore veterans or newbies in it's lust for vengence. The train will key on anyone it goes by, remembers them, and a short while later comes back to pay it's respect. One had best be prepared! Avoidance is your friend.

And even worse, if you're in range as the train goes by and you're part of a group also, the entire group itself is labeled a target of said train. The returning mobs will scatter and go after everyone! God that was so horrible, and great!

Ask any veteran about Unrest, Blackburrow, Crushbone etc. Totally completley awesome. (unless of course you're wiped in Lower Guk, in which case your weekend plans are now changed until you get your stuff back)

Rambled on there, but Pantheon looks like it will be the only mmo for the near/far? future to get back to the old ways, the old days, where you had to work to get your rewards, you weren't invulnerable, and leveling fast wasn't in the cards, the fun was playing the game itself.

Lastly, if I were running the show, I'd flip things around a bit, and have leveling at lower levels just as slow as upper. BUT, have very good dungeons areas available at those lower levels, so that one would almost not want to level up because there was so much good stuff to do at level 3, 5, 7 etc.

That way you weren't trying to powerlevel up to get to 'the good stuff'. It would be there waiting for you at the very beginning!

Make this game hard, slow, and exciting. It will have a much better lasting factor. Any and every other similar game out these days is relatively easy with fast leveling and no penalties of any lasting value, no fear factor at all.

Be different! Please!

"  *****  TRAIN TO ZONE!!!!  *****  "

This post was edited by unkpant at May 12, 2017 8:24 AM PDT
    • 248 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:55 AM PDT

I agree. Trains were one of the best things in EQ for me. I loved the zones where they would spread chaos. Leashed mobs, mobs that would just pass you by on it's way back to it's spot was such a huge dissapointment in gams that followed EQ. Wandering mobs were great too, especially high level mobs in lower level zones. In fact I love anything that will keep me on my toes, that can change a fight in a heartbeat :)

-sorte.

• 1019 posts
    May 12, 2017 8:51 PM PDT

Is there a way to make the pathing completely random?