Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Seasons and Climate Zones

• 220 posts
    September 14, 2017 10:48 PM PDT

I'd be fine with plants changing color, and critter spawns adjusting to the climate changes.  But the craziness availible in Unity is... sort of overwhelming.  I think the battle will be on the top end of what they can manage to squeeze in.  You can simulate complex weather of all kinds in Unity and there are amazing tools for weather effects.

The hardest part will probably be deciding what to cut out.  I've seen tons of snow drift simulations, and pooling rain simulations.  Even leaf litter simulations for wind storms and fallen branches.  There is so much cool stuff you can do.

• 1468 posts
    September 14, 2017 10:49 PM PDT

I really like the idea of having seasons in the game. Of course they would have to be based on the lore of Terminus and not based on the real world but the idea is excellent. It would make people really pay attention to the weather and the time of day / year.

It could even be integrated into raid encounters where certain raids are easier depending on the time you engage them because the weather and climate effects are not so harsh.

• 220 posts
    September 14, 2017 10:52 PM PDT

What if a wind storm could make the Hermit turn from a solo target you kill sometimes because he has a rare fishing pole, into a tornado weilding drunken world boss?  Could you even imagine how loud you would squeel in delight seeing that for the first time?  I just squeeled thinking about it.

• 334 posts
    October 30, 2017 7:13 AM PDT

I, we, can see only part of the map, the game start. I've seen nothing yet of seasonal mechanics. Just atmosphere and climate. If you rotate the map a bit anti clockwise, then you have ice in the north and desert in the south. That means there is roughly 20-25% visible of a planet on the Terminus map.
    So if this is a planet, as refered to in the lore, then it doesn't have to have seasons if the axis of the planet was 3% or less Then you wouldn't notice a difference (does it have a moon? / can it wobble? lol).
    Then also, as the lore speaks of collisions, I do not yet see what kind those are; how those have impact on the planet. Physical? Dimensional? The latter seems more likely reading the lore. Reminds me a bit of Sartorias-deles world of Sherwood Smith. Or maybe a bit of rift effect from Feist.
    So this might all give VR great flexibility during development without making it too complicated early on.

• 1281 posts
    October 30, 2017 7:48 PM PDT

What would be really cool is if not only the seasons changed, but the mobs changed as well.

For instance as it gets towards winter, we see seasonal wildlife/mobs such as fewer bears and more elk/deer/carabou.

• 1120 posts
    October 31, 2017 4:18 PM PDT

Kalok said:

For instance as it gets towards winter, we see seasonal wildlife/mobs such as fewer bears and more elk/deer/carabou.

I just don't see an elk giving me the same sense of danger that a bear does.

• 1281 posts
    October 31, 2017 4:38 PM PDT

Porygon said:

Kalok said:

I just don't see an elk giving me the same sense of danger that a bear does.

The same could be said for many mobs....  Such as rats, birds, beetles, etc.  What it COULD give you is food/skins/crafting items...

When did perceived "danger" become the designator for what mobs should be in the game?

• 334 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:13 PM PDT

checking.. just cos I can, lol..
    (2001 info)  128 ppl killed by bears in north america in 20th century, 14 by mountain lion, and about 130 a year by bambi

• 2419 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:19 PM PDT

Weather affecting some parts of gameplay is of definite interest, but like anything else it can quickly go from adding some spice to the game to completely ruining your gaming experience.  Rain affecting fire based spells? Sure, that makes sense.  It also is only a brief, and randomly occurring, effect.  Having snow literally pile up and slow your movements down to a crawl..and have that last for a month+ if in-game time?  Horrible.  And as much as you might like the idea, after a few times of you dying out in the middle of nowhere, alone, because you couldn't outrun that high level roamer that you had no problem outrunning when it wasn't snowing you'll forever hate it when any zone hits winter.  That said, so long as my Shaman can cast Levitate, I don't see a problem with it.  Oh, and I'll happily sell you a nice Potion of Levitate..at a 'decent' price.

• 1281 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:32 PM PDT

Rydan said:

checking.. just cos I can, lol..
    (2001 info)  128 ppl killed by bears in north america in 20th century, 14 by mountain lion, and about 130 a year by bambi

Furry Bambi or works down by the airport Bambi?

This post was edited by Kalok at October 31, 2017 5:32 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:34 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Weather affecting some parts of gameplay is of definite interest, but like anything else it can quickly go from adding some spice to the game to completely ruining your gaming experience.  Rain affecting fire based spells? Sure, that makes sense.  It also is only a brief, and randomly occurring, effect.  Having snow literally pile up and slow your movements down to a crawl..and have that last for a month+ if in-game time?  Horrible.  And as much as you might like the idea, after a few times of you dying out in the middle of nowhere, alone, because you couldn't outrun that high level roamer that you had no problem outrunning when it wasn't snowing you'll forever hate it when any zone hits winter.  That said, so long as my Shaman can cast Levitate, I don't see a problem with it.  Oh, and I'll happily sell you a nice Potion of Levitate..at a 'decent' price.

If I had a dime for every time I died out in the boonies alone because I got ganked by a high level mob in EQ, I could have afforded to fund Pantheon.  It was fun and all part of the exploration of Norrath.

• 1714 posts
    November 1, 2017 8:37 AM PDT

I love the idea of seasons from an immersion/graphics/roleplaying angle, but I want nothing to do with even more micromanagement of resist gear and inventory depending on what game month it is. That's too much.