Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Early Armor

• 169 posts
    January 18, 2017 9:24 AM PST

This also ties into armor with stats doesn't it?  Most armor in original EQ didn't have any.  I do recall some bronze armor dropping in High Pass Hold off Goblins.  The steel plate only seemed to be on vendors and was really expensive.  The chain armor was also fairly costly.  This all ties in with making characters potentially overly powerful through attribute inflation.   It also ties into what you would like the world to feel like.  I kind of like how it wasn't easy to get weapons and armor in EQ.  It felt like you were really starting out as a poor person looking for work.  I imagine that is how people in the Middle Ages felt except far worse unless you had some money.  It also offers a nice contrast to when you do eventually start to gain some nice equipment like bronze, iron, and steel armor and weapons.  You can feel like you really worked hard for that item and it means a lot.  You started out wearing cloth or leather armor and a rusty weapon the first 15 to 20 levels because that's all you could afford, find, or craft.  Obviously it doesn't have to be that way, but IMO this gives the game a grittier feel to it and that's something I kind of enjoy in a fantasy environment.

This post was edited by UnknownQuantity at January 18, 2017 9:30 AM PST
    • 19 posts
    January 18, 2017 9:32 AM PST

I think it does tie into stats on equipment.  Inflation of stats is an issue most MMOs have today.  +300 Str on gear, then an expansion hits, and now armor has +500, and so on.  That is something that EQ and FFXI did wonderfully is make the stat gain minimal.  Even if an item didn't have stats, but had a passive effect, it helped.  Fungi Tunic is a classic example.  It had terrible stats, in fact most of them were negative, but the regen effect made it amazing.  I would love to see something similar where early armor is viable throughout the journey.

• 159 posts
    January 18, 2017 11:52 AM PST

It's nice to be the nobody, a starting off sell sword or newly released apprentice mage, a tavern minstrel looking to make a name.  Earning your stripes.  

I'm kinda sick of being the avatar, chosen one, hero with amnesia, etc destined to save the world.  Screw that, I'm Gregor the barbarian and I like to hit stuff with my axe and take it's stuff.  Wanna hit stuff together?

Nobodies should start off in clothing or ultra base starting gear and earn the upgrades gradually.   Very fond memories of needing magic boots to kick wisps.

• 3016 posts
    January 18, 2017 12:52 PM PST

Shai said:

Xilshale said:

I just hope that since they've out the time in to code the class for Brad, that he shows up in game after launch now and then...

A touch off-topic, but they're writing themselves into the lore as War Wizards/Suns of Terminus.  Warriors of godlike power in physical might and arcane discipline, one each from the Sacred Six (dwarves, elves, ogres, dark myr, archai and humans - halflings, skar, and gnomes arrived later) that Descended during the Deicide War to fight the Ravaging Lord & the Revenant, after successfully pushing back the Revenant one of them died at the Ravaging Lord's hand, the remaining five vanished after the Deicide War ended.

I'm positive you'll be seeing Aradune et al knocking around Terminus.

This is just a hunch I got from reading up on stuff,  that Warwizards are not player characters..they would be something Aradune would play,  my further question about that would be...would the GMs show up as war wizards too...or perhaps some sort of Dragon kin...I think that would be cool. :)

• 3016 posts
    January 18, 2017 12:55 PM PST

Jasper said:

I think it does tie into stats on equipment.  Inflation of stats is an issue most MMOs have today.  +300 Str on gear, then an expansion hits, and now armor has +500, and so on.  That is something that EQ and FFXI did wonderfully is make the stat gain minimal.  Even if an item didn't have stats, but had a passive effect, it helped.  Fungi Tunic is a classic example.  It had terrible stats, in fact most of them were negative, but the regen effect made it amazing.  I would love to see something similar where early armor is viable throughout the journey.

As literal newbies/new characters didn't we start in tattered armor or something similar.   Seem to remember that.   So we spent some time upgrading that ..our weapons,  our skills and spells.  With the Perception system I would expect that to have a learning curve as well. :)

• 97 posts
    January 18, 2017 3:01 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Jasper said:

As literal newbies/new characters didn't we start in tattered armor or something similar.   Seem to remember that.   So we spent some time upgrading that ..our weapons,  our skills and spells.  With the Perception system I would expect that to have a learning curve as well. :)

As I high elf paladin I think I got a tattered tunic and a rusty sword. Casters (High elves at least) got a beginner green robe, I not sure what weapon casters started with, I would assume a broken stick or something, maybe a rusty dagger. All the other slots were empty, and IIRC there wasn't a lot of equipment dropping for every slot. I think it was quite common to not have every equipment slot filled until you as the player made a concerted effort to obtain that slot. Even the most basic of jewelry with 1 ac was rare... I don't think it dropped, I think NPC merchants only had statless jewelry that was way expensive, and you would have to get an enchanter to make you some basic rings or earrings and pay for the service, unless you found yourself a friendly neighborhood jeweler.