Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Opinion on Acclimation System

• 62 posts
    May 11, 2017 8:45 PM PDT

Alexander said:

Mandalorian2K said:

Do you not see the fallacy in your arguement? You are asking why if there's level 50 content and you're level 30 are you even trying to go there? Well if it's a tier 5 frigid climate and you only have tier 2 acclimation, why are you even trying to go there? It literally makes zero sense why you are ok with one, but not the other. You are treating "content" as solely the fighting of npcs. In Pantheon, ALL of these systems are part of what makes up the "content" as a whole. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. 

He's saying he'd rather the level difference be what naturally prevents players from adventuring in a zone instead of finding a single item. They're not equal preventative factors - one allows anyone to enter a zone and face the consequences, and the other prevents anyone from entering who hasn't already proven in some way that they can handle it (if the only way to become acclimated is to be a somewhat appropriate power level for the zone). The fact that we need to have a single item in order to enter a zone is what's frustrating, rather than the organic difficulty of the zone preventing someone from surviving. If I understand correctly, Krixus thinks it'd be better for a level 1 to be able to run madly through into a level 50 zone and die instantly, and having THAT be the reason why they can't be there, instead of not being able to zone there because of not being able to possess a key. I think it's a very valid opinion, and worth discussing.

I tried to say earlier that one way we can understand this acclimation system is by imagining these zones having different qualities in "the very air" players breathe - a zone with high temperature will literally burn instantly anyone who enters who isn't acclimated. Maybe in the game we'll be able to zone into some of these places (those that aren't blocked by some barrier, like the wind tunnel) and instantly combust or die because we weren't able to survive in the environment - in which case, our corpse would have to be moved outside the zone (unless the devs wanted to be extra evil to people who dare spurn the climate warnings).

Of course, we don't know enough about how this system will feel to players. That's what Kilsin repeatedly reminds us. But we know as much as we've seen, and these forums are for giving development feedback, yea? We should definitely always keep in mind, however, that we're commenting from an incomplete perspective.

Edit: Reserving the right to not know some big part of the acclimation system that totally invalidates my understanding.

I'm very aware of what he's saying, I'm not misunderstanding his point of view. My point is that it doesn't make sense why he's ok with one particular form of gating, but not the other when it's basically the same thing, just presented to the player in a slightly different manner than what we are accustomed to. NOTHING was preventing anyone from entering a zone, as you and he are both stating. They were already in Amberfaet. There was however a section of the zone with which they were having difficulty getting to because of the acclimation, but there wasn't a hard stop on entering the zone itself. This is in no way different than if I was leveling in EQ. I head on over to Oasis in my teens and join a croc group on the beach. Then we decide after a little while to move across the zone and check out that nifty little isle with the tower. Are we going to be able to check out spectre isle at our level without dying? Nope, so there is a section of the zone I can't access due to my level and the level of the mobs. So in essence, the spectres might as well just be a tier 3 scorching climate, they both are accomplishing the same thing, just in a different manner. In your example, it's ok for a level 1 to go into a level 50 zone and die instantly. Well they very well could have tried to finish crossing the bridge. Nothing was fundamentally stopping them from trying. A clever player might get a sow, regen and other buffs and try to cross the bridge and see if they could make it. In both scenarios you have the choice to try, the game didn't say you don't have item X so no bueno.

The two are the exact same scenario of being in a zone, but not being able to maybe access all parts of it at the current level, gear, acclimation skill, etc. It's just presented in the form of an actual weather climate instead of an npc. It's not something we are used to because we haven't really seen an MMO have the actual environment play a role in game and actually stand for the E in PVE instead of just mobs. It was stated there would be more to the system than what was shown in the stream. So the arguement of ONE item preventing you from entering a zone is just plain false on sooo many levels. I'm done beating this dead horse though, so carry on. I'm excited to see how the system develops into something more involved as development continues.