Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In game subscription tokens

This topic has been closed.
    • 159 posts
    January 8, 2017 6:39 AM PST
    I'm kinda curious on other people's views on in game tradable subscription tokens bought from the game company. Kronos from daybreak, wow tokens, many games feature them (Plex, isk...Many names many games).

Personally I completely despise them and won't play any game that offers them nowadays. When I went back to EQ with the launch of Phinegal the new fresh start classic progress server had become a joke within a month. A suit of banded armor went from the standard plat per ac to the crazy a suit for a Kronos. A babs from runneyeye was going for 5 Kronos ($18 real world money x5). I don't believe ANY in game economy should be ruled directly (or in any way easily influenced by) how much RL money players are willing to fund their in game chars with.

Personally I see this as a game ruining cancer. It's the one thing that'll make me not go with this game from the get go.

Anyone else have views on this type of RMT sub currency?
    • 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 6:48 AM PST

I think it's a good idea, unless VR legitimately thinks they're well staffed enough to police third party RMT and actually successfully do so.

RMT currencies like Krono basically just exist to make sure that third party RMT becomes less profitable and that revenue is redirected to the company itself. It makes sense and it's very practical, because  literally no MMO (even P99) has managed to successfully eliminate it.

You call it game ruining cancer, I call it a smart move on the part of developers as a decent countermeasure against third party RMT. I am not confident in VR whatsoever to be able to shut down the RMT that will definitely exist in Pantheon.

• 144 posts
    January 8, 2017 6:52 AM PST

I would personally prefer not to see them in game.

I think they can help game like WoW make money and turn F2P players into paying ones via these tokens in a roundabout way, but that's all I really see happening is WoW making money from the otherwise "free" player.  (WoW is still hurting after losing over 7 million subscribers ahile back - 7 million times $15 a month...  that's a lot of money for an MMO to lose)

• 41 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:02 AM PST

Wouldn't less people RMT if it's some blackhat bannable offense? If you had it as a feature sure the developers make money from it rather than third party, but I would imagine a lot more people will do it.

So assuming spending real money to buy items in game is bad and not a desired feature, what lessens it? Having a krono type item or trying to just ban people caught RMT'ing? Id assume it's the latter. 

If the game can't stay afloat without the developers making money from players wanting to RMT their way to items, I think that's a bigger problem.

• 159 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:12 AM PST
    When I log into EQ and dungeons (and open world rare spawn points) are full of afk boxed hordes of AE classes and healer bots farming to sell for Kronos to pay for their box army to farm to stockpile Kronos to trash the economies to farm to Kronos to pay for their box army, repeat ad nauseum......No thanks.

Yes the devs made money from selling the sub tokens, but at what cost to the game itself? Enter your cc on your account and sub. Plain and simple. I shouldn't be able to take my tax return and never want for cash in game ever again.
    • 1618 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:14 AM PST
    • 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:18 AM PST

Thallium said:

Wouldn't less people RMT if it's some blackhat bannable offense? If you had it as a feature sure the developers make money from it rather than third party, but I would imagine a lot more people will do it.

So assuming spending real money to buy items in game is bad and not a desired feature, what lessens it? Having a krono type item or trying to just ban people caught RMT'ing? Id assume it's the latter. 

If the game can't stay afloat without the developers making money from players wanting to RMT their way to items, I think that's a bigger problem.

It also is a bannable offense in most games. The problem is that it can't be enforced well on a large scale.

Laws are only as good as how well they can be enforced.

• 41 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:22 AM PST

It's about what would lessen the effect if we are in agreement RMT is bad id rather only a small percent of people did it behind closed doors than a large visible portion of the player base were running around in gear purchased with their wallet not what they achieved in game. 

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:26 AM PST

Thallium said:

It's about what would lessen the effect if we are in agreement RMT is bad id rather only a small percent of people did it behind closed doors than a large visible portion of the player base were running around in gear purchased with their wallet not what they achieved in game. 

That's a design issue with equipment availability, not RMT.

Just don't make the gear you can purchase with plat that amazing? Kronos exist on Phinigel but you won't even scrape the top 100 list on the leaderboards with gear you can buy in the Bazaar.

• 264 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:35 AM PST

While I am very much inclined to yell No Way !.  I understand some of the reasons behind these tokens. It is a bit like the Volstead Act in the U.S. . It lead to the 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The outright banning of alcohol created the opening for a huge amout of criminal activity and provided the opportunity for organized crime to profit from the situation. That was repealed like 12 years later after it was obvious that it would not work. The tax revenue that was made after the 18th was tossed out was substantial. These tokens are a way to take back some control over an almost uncontrollable situation. It was found later that during prohibition that there were almost a million illegal drinking establishments operating in the U.S. at the time.

While this is not a perfect example it provides some historical insight into what happens when you have a pent up demand and that demand is filled one way or another. 

I still hate to see it happen; I want to be all warm and fuzzy and think we can stop all very bad behaviour as a partnership between VR and the Community. A little bad behaviour adds some spice to things.

• 41 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:43 AM PST

Liav said:

Thallium said:

That's a design issue with equipment availability, not RMT.

Just don't make the gear you can purchase with plat that amazing? Kronos exist on Phinigel but you won't even scrape the top 100 list on the leaderboards with gear you can buy in the Bazaar.

The reason, I assume, most people would see RMT as a bad thing is because you're using influence from outside the game to obtain power within the game despite you ordinarily not being able to do so.

If a game is a shared experience that is both cooperative and competitive do you want to introduce any element of pay to win?

Just because it won’t affect those people at the very end of the game doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue for others? If the game is only interesting at the very end point why even have the first part? I thought the idea was to make the game a challenging and enjoyable experience from the start to end. Why corrupt any part of that with pay to win elements?

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:45 AM PST

It's not a perfect solution and it probably does agitate economies to an extent. The pragmatist in me can't really come up with a better way to combat RMT though. If it was my company, I would surely recognize the futility in fighting it and instead secure extra guaranteed revenue.

The alternative is they don't do that, and the various popular plat selling sites fulfill that service anyway. The difference being VR makes $0 as a result.

• 1618 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:45 AM PST

So, when people are breaking the rules, someone might as well profit from it, instead of fixing it?

This post was edited by Beefcake at January 8, 2017 7:45 AM PST
    • 319 posts
    January 8, 2017 7:49 AM PST

IMHO I would NOT like to see this in Pantheon. It does exist in other games and it flourishes because the people let it. In project 1999 there is no tokens. But the high levels still farm items and sell them for a lot more than they ever sold for in eq. People tend to buy them because they are unable to get the items ingame because of the heavy farming of those items. I think the only way to stop this is for all rare items to be lore and no trade at aquire. As far as tokens go my thoughts are the sub should be payable to VR only and should not be given out because you are too lazy to work for it or pay for it. If there is tokens provided by VR they should only be usefull on the account where your character is and non-transferable.

• 801 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:23 AM PST

I liked the ability to purchase a Krono's type token. You have to really see why people like it. Not everyone can run to a store and purchase a game card anymore, so the next best thing is in game kronos tokens.

I bought them, and applied to any account i wanted to. I am not talking just 1 or two, i am talking about 20-30 of them.

I would save some money over using the CC, USD to CDN prices. Sometimes i even didnt care, but they are really easy to use for subscriptions.

To trade them? if you have more then one account, buying 2 tokens and being able to trade them to your other account (family accounts that is) it becomes a great tool for people like me.

Lets say i needed in game gold? i could trade a token for 500,000 gold. It was a legit purhase through the game, for in game gold. Nothing bad about it.

You guys do so much worse by influxing the in game ecomony that something like this should not matter.

• 801 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:25 AM PST

If there was no tokens? i still would contact the company if i had 12 + accounts... but i am past that now, family has moved apart from those days playing together.

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:31 AM PST

Beefcake said:

So, when people are breaking the rules, someone might as well profit from it, instead of fixing it?

Only an idealist would believe that VR actually has the capability to stop third party RMT. So, yes. The problem literally can not be fixed.

If the problem can not be fixed, it makes a lot of sense to just mitigate the damage by doing something like Krono and designing your game from the ground up to facilitate that kind of economy.

Phinigel isn't a pay to win server by any means and we've had Krono here since day one.

• 159 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:50 AM PST
    Dev response would be great cuz I'd like to know in advance if I'm out or not
    • 1303 posts
    January 8, 2017 8:57 AM PST
    @Crazzie
    If a person cant run to the store to buy a game card they can still go to their account and buy more time. They could go to amazon and have a card shipped. If youre arguing that you have no time to go to the store but have millions of pp to buy kronos perhaps theres a problem of prioritization?
    • 166 posts
    January 8, 2017 9:06 AM PST

This tokens have no real influence on the black market. The third party sites can still sell items for real life money, or sell items for tokens and then sell the tokens for real life money.

In my opinion the second way is just more expensive for the players but let VR participate on that business. Not only because more subscription tokens can be sold, as are needed to pay the actual subsciption fees, but because of another reason as well.

Example: for a standard subscription 13$ are charged, for a token 15$ are charged. To be able to sell the token, the third party site has to charge a value below 13$ for it, lets say 10 $.

If the third party site wants to earn 10$ for a new sword they charge 1 token. For this a player A pays VR 15$.

The third party site then has to sell the token to another player B who needs a subscritpion for 10$.

In the end all seem to be happy.

VR earns 15$ for the subscription, 2$ more as the standard fee.

The third party site earns 10$

Player A has his new sword (but payed 5$ more as needed, because of supporting VR and player B).

Player B saved 3$ when only paying 10$ for a month subscription.

So the question is fight against or confederate with the third party sites.

While I think scenario 2 is better than scenario 1, because of more happy people ;), the best scenario would be with no items sold for real life money.

Maybe we should start without the tokens and try to fight the third party sites and if the war is lost, maybe introduce tokens and confederate with them.

• 610 posts
    January 8, 2017 9:28 AM PST

No thanks, hate these things

• 36 posts
    January 8, 2017 9:55 AM PST

WoW tokens are... arguably the largest example of P2W in any MMO ever. When Legion dropped, there was a bunch of streamers who dropped a few hundred dollars to get ahead of everyone else when it came to purchasing inflated mats from the market place... some making thousands of golds of profit and getting a strong early advantage over those who did not.

No, they are an absolutely terrible idea.

The only thing they 'solve' is gold selling... by making the developers the gold sellers who have absolute control over the value of their in game currency. Oh wait.

This post was edited by Coda at January 8, 2017 10:01 AM PST
    • 264 posts
    January 8, 2017 10:09 AM PST

Maybe we could pay 20 -25 dollars a month sub so VR can afford to hire a few people to vigorously go after accounts that are selling for real life money. It will cost in some way no matter what , just constantly police it with extreme prejudice from the start and have the player base pay for it so their game is as free of this problem as possible.

With all of the smart people on this forum, somebody may yet come up with a ground breaking approach to help solve this issue. I also hate the idea of the token thing, but I hate the gold farmer / third party site sales worse

I personally have no issue paying a bit more for a higher quality product. I understand this may not work for some. 

• 2130 posts
    January 8, 2017 10:22 AM PST

Skycaster said:

Maybe we could pay 20 -25 dollars a month sub so VR can afford to hire a few people to vigorously go after accounts that are selling for real life money. It will cost in some way no matter what , just constantly police it with extreme prejudice from the start and have the player base pay for it so their game is as free of this problem as possible.

With all of the smart people on this forum, somebody may yet come up with a ground breaking approach to help solve this issue. I also hate the idea of the token thing, but I hate the gold farmer / third party site sales worse

I personally have no issue paying a bit more for a higher quality product. I understand this may not work for some. 

Banning accounts that generate RMT doesn't do anything, that's the point. Creating a new account could cost $500 and it'd still be profitable to do so to continue farming.

It doesn't matter how aggressive you are. If you go after buyers instead of sellers, then you end up banning thousands of players and losing a ton of money. If you go after sellers, well, Hail Hydra.

• 724 posts
    January 8, 2017 10:45 AM PST

I absolutely don't want to see those tokens in Pantheon. IMO they hurt the game more than they help.

And yes, it will be a hard (and continuous) fight against the gold sellers, but IMO it is still better to take up the fight instead of just giving up without even trying.