Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Character /Inspect

This topic has been closed.
    • 3237 posts
    January 5, 2017 5:38 AM PST

The first MMO I ever played was EQOA, and there was a feature (or lackthereof) in that game that I would love to see brought back into MMO's.  Nowadays in most MMO's, when you see another character in the world, you can simply right click their character and inspect them.  This allows you to see all of the gear they are wearing.  In some instances this can be pretty cool because the less seasoned players can check out the veterans and drool over their amazing gear and get excited about advancing their own character.

In EQOA, there was no way to inspect other players.  The reason that this was so cool is that back in the day, little things like resistances could make a HUGE difference on how a fight would go.  I remember Siliskor that would lower the max HP of everybody in the raid.  Siliskor only dealt physical and poison damage.  The trick to fighting him was to stack as much AC (Armor Class), Agility (Dodge/Block%) and Poison Resist as possible since HP didn't make a difference due to the debuff.

There was a zone called Isle of Dread where all of the bosses did massive arcane damage.  I remember wearing full sets of crafted arcane jewelry that was surprisingly more effective for tanking than most other gear in the game.  While the zone bosses were running around 1 shotting most other tanks, I was able to play the meat shield with ease, mitigating much more damage than any other tank in the zone.  Had other players been able to inspect my character, they would have seen that wearing something as simple as crafted arcane jewelery could be a huge difference maker in how they should be handling their equipment for the zone.

I remember so many tanks asking me how I was able to tank so well, and I would tell them that I had the "Holy Girdle of Protection" equipped that reduced all damage received by 50%.  Now this was obviously back in a day where info sites didn't exist, and nobody could just cross reference a website and look up the item and see that I was fibbing.  They also couldnt look up a website that contained details about the arcane resistance and  how important it was.  What this meant is that I had a serious advantage over any other tank on my server for a long long time, and nobody could figure out how I was pulling it off.

Now I know we are in a new day and age and the odds of something like that happening again are slim to zero.  However, I would still like to propose that character /inspects are optional, per the preference of every player.  If someone wanted to show off their uber lootz while sitting in town, they would have the option to do so.  If someone wanted to set it to private and prevent the competition from analyzing their tactics, that would be an option as well.

What does everybody think?

• 109 posts
    January 5, 2017 5:53 AM PST

I am strongly in favor of being able to inspect and see stuff. Id like to see Equip, Stats, Spells if they have them. I like to know everything though. Not all of it is really needed but all information is useful information.

If there are RP server, I can see why this might not happen but for all other servers, I vote for it.

Players should also NOT have the ability to prevent themselves from being inspected. No reason to hide. Stand tall and be proud or logoff. = )

Also, it should let a player know when they are being inspected and by whom.

• 610 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:08 AM PST

Backin said:

I am strongly in favor of being able to inspect and see stuff. Id like to see Equip, Stats, Spells if they have them. I like to know everything though. Not all of it is really needed but all information is useful information.

If there are RP server, I can see why this might not happen but for all other servers, I vote for it.

Players should also NOT have the ability to prevent themselves from being inspected. No reason to hide. Stand tall and be proud or logoff. = )

Also, it should let a player know when they are being inspected and by whom.

I strongly vote against this, what I have is really none of your business and I personally view it as an invasion of my privacy just to have some random loser run up and start gawking at my underthings. And why should player not have the ability to turn this off? I mean really? Your desire to know EVERYTHING about MY toon somehow out weights my desire not to have you all up in my business? Nope, stay out of my stuff....No reason to be a nosy nellie, Mind your own business or logoff

• 308 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:16 AM PST

Yes, it's an absolute necessity!  How else are we going to knock LD players out of the world if we can't spam /inspect them?

• 3237 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:16 AM PST

Again, I am not saying to can the /inspect feature altogether.  I am just saying that it should be optional.  I understand that you want to be able to inspect everybody and that's your perogative, but what about someone who wants his stats/equipment to be private?  Why shouldn't they have that option?  There are other games where you can only inspect people when they give you permission.

Personally I found it very annoying in other games where people could just check out your set-up and then mimic your strategy, but that's what happens.  If this game is going to be truly open world as I have read, and risk/reward are going to be a big part of the game, people should have to fight mobs themselves and check their damage logs to determine what type of defensive setup makes the most sense.  They shouldn't be able to inspect the groups hard at work trying to learn the encounter and reap the benefits of their effort.  Look at it from the perspective of the group that dies repeatedly to learn an encounter.  Dying over and over, losing XP, paying for armor repairs, and their loss of time.  There is already a means of acquiring instant gratification for strategy by looking up third party sites or watching youtube videos.  It is what it is.  But for the sake of competition, if someone wants their set-up to be private to prevent curious onlookers from benefiting from their strategy/ideas, they should have that option to decide who inspects their character, not you.

• 2886 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:19 AM PST

Yes this should absolutely be a thing. Considering how often low lvl and high lvl players will interact, I think it falls right in line with VR's desire to inspire new players to achieve great things. Personally, I love spying on other people's gear regardless haha. Iirc, in EQ it would only show the name of the item and not the stats. Not sure if I have an opinion whether or not it should show the stats.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 5, 2017 6:26 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:22 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Yes this should absolutely be a thing. Considering how often low lvl and high lvl players will interact, I think it falls right in line with VR's desire to inspire new players to achieve great things. Personally, I love spying on other people's gear regardless haha. Iirc, in EQ it would only show the name of the item and not the stats. Not sure if I have an opinion whether or not it should show the stats.

Or maybe instead of just inspecting them you actually TALK to them about their gear?

Strike up a conversation and potentially make a new friend

• 308 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:25 AM PST

Sevens said:

Or maybe instead of just inspecting them you actually TALK to them about their gear?

Conversely, being able to see gear via inspect opens up a lot of opportunities for dialogue via the "hey, where did you get that awesome piece of gear?"

• 2886 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:25 AM PST

Reht said:

Sevens said:

Conversely, being able to see gear via inspect opens up a lot of opportunities for dialogue via the "hey, where did you get that awesome piece of gear?"

Yes, if it doesn't show the stats it will still definitely spur conversation. Even with stats, you'd still probably have to ask where they got it as this info will not be readily available. In my opinion, being able to inspect someone is more condusive to talking to people. You probably won't be able to see what rings, necklaces, trinkets, etc. people have equipped just by looking at them.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 5, 2017 6:30 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 5, 2017 6:28 AM PST

We already have d a topic on this and have discussed it thoroughly, please continue posting int he active thread instead of creating a new one as it is against forum guidelines. Typing "Inspect" into the search function will show the result, I have linked it here for everyone convenience.

Please read through the thread before posting as much has already been discussed.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3087/to-inspect-or-not-to-inspect-what-say-you

I
    will now close this thread.