Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Prevent third party info sites?

• 19 posts
    January 3, 2017 2:01 AM PST

A random thought, is there going to be any action to stop third party sites from hosting information about the game?

How to do quests/guides/etc?

Of course nothing can really stop the internet hive mind, just curious if cool in-game secrets are going to try to remain secret.

• 156 posts
    January 3, 2017 2:07 AM PST

Huge corporations can't stop squatting or phishing sites without some effort, and some governments cannot stop sites they deem 'unsavoury'. VR shouldn't even bother expending effort taking down 3P info sites - it's just a waste of resources.

• 2130 posts
    January 3, 2017 2:14 AM PST

Literally impossible and beneath worry, anyway. If you don't want content to be spoiled, the user can just avoid the site.

• 9115 posts
    January 3, 2017 3:08 AM PST

No, instead of providing that information right in front of your face with flashy markers and glowing text, you will have to look it up yourself or create it yourself if you choose to that is, otherwise just play the game and enjoy the freedom of not having a million things thrown at your face via the UI and let others look info up, if they like. ;)

We already have a site being built for that purpose by a community member: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4209/pantheon101

We encourage community contributions and working together for things like this, mapping out zones, trying to figure out quests together or where special items drop and for those who dislike guides and things telling them where to go and what to do they can ignore them as they are out of the game and shouldn't bother them.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 3, 2017 3:11 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 3, 2017 8:41 AM PST

I would think that the good informative sites would also help with peoples' motivation to play Pantheon.    I visited a few back in the day...free advertising for Pantheon.

• 144 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:22 PM PST

It's going to have to be up to the individual to avoid spoilers it looks like. There will be constant questions and answers with spoilers in the in-game chat for a long time too I think, so it's going to be to to avoid the spoilers for sure

The Min/Max community wil also be parsing damage text like there is no tomorrow in order to acheive content first by way of maximum DPS, and people will be delving deep to find the unplanned and unforseen in-game meta content that exists when you create something of this scope and posting their findings too re: classes and DPS etc.

For the people that cannot play as often as some of us, I am really glad these websites are there for them to save time if they choose to, and as much as I like to learn and discover things on my own, I'll definitely hit a website if I am stumped for too long, Really helped for raiding in WoW to learn rotations etc from Icyveins or other website quickly, without having to stand at a pole in-game and shoot it with various skills to try and figure out how to max your DPS output

• 318 posts
    January 3, 2017 1:40 PM PST

I remember the good old days when guilds used to keep their strategies and secrets to themselves. Now players create blog websites, stream live on twitch, and post videos on youtube for "popularity" and to make money off the ads....

• 780 posts
    January 3, 2017 2:31 PM PST

Wellspring said:

I remember the good old days when guilds used to keep their strategies and secrets to themselves. Now players create blog websites, stream live on twitch, and post videos on youtube for "popularity" and to make money off the ads....

Haha, yeah.  Exclusivity versus notoriety.  Notoriety won.

I agree that no effort should be made to prevent these sites.  The game will hopefully still be quite difficult even for those who make use of the sites.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at January 3, 2017 2:33 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    January 3, 2017 3:09 PM PST

If you like them, use them If not, don't. There is no reason to block them.

• 1281 posts
    January 3, 2017 3:12 PM PST

Brad has said in the past they would rather sites host information than have that information in game. During the Sigil years, Brad and Co. really worked hard to establish relationships with third party sites. I imagine something similar will happen with Pantheon.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 3, 2017 3:12 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 3, 2017 8:37 PM PST

Portalgun said:

It's going to have to be up to the individual to avoid spoilers it looks like. There will be constant questions and answers with spoilers in the in-game chat for a long time too I think, so it's going to be to to avoid the spoilers for sure

The Min/Max community wil also be parsing damage text like there is no tomorrow in order to acheive content first by way of maximum DPS, and people will be delving deep to find the unplanned and unforseen in-game meta content that exists when you create something of this scope and posting their findings too re: classes and DPS etc.

For the people that cannot play as often as some of us, I am really glad these websites are there for them to save time if they choose to, and as much as I like to learn and discover things on my own, I'll definitely hit a website if I am stumped for too long, Really helped for raiding in WoW to learn rotations etc from Icyveins or other website quickly, without having to stand at a pole in-game and shoot it with various skills to try and figure out how to max your DPS output

Sounds like a job...I'm done with working..I play for fun and to socialize, craft, explore.. many other reasons than to glue myself to my screen to be "FIRST!" at something.  hehe just doesn't do a thing for me :D  Five minutes of fame.   Heck I'll enjoy the game.  :)  I won't be raiding.  Might supply crafts for raiding..potions and such..other than that, nope. :)

• 521 posts
    January 4, 2017 6:05 AM PST

I cant imagine a game company trying to enforce something like that, and on what grounds? Copyright? Seems unlikely since those sites are basically “reporting” and not recreating or distributing the “game”.
    Secondly I would think it would cause much more of a negative image for the company than whats its worth, and be quite expensive to monitor, as well as take time away from bug fixes/ or expansion. I say that last part not because the “dev” team would personally oversee it, but because of the cost involved taking away from needed resource's to work on the game.

Seems like a foolish idea, when the individual can just control themselves and not visit the site.

• 78 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:43 AM PST

Castersrealm, Allakazam and eqatlas didn't ruin EQ's experience for me. For the most part I avoided them but sometimes I used them, both experiences were great.

• 144 posts
    January 6, 2017 10:18 AM PST

Laura said:

Castersrealm, Allakazam and eqatlas didn't ruin EQ's experience for me. For the most part I avoided them but sometimes I used them, both experiences were great.

Those sites were so valuable to my gaming experience when I needed them and I was always glad they were there. Also, sites for P99 like the Ahungry and the now dead EQauctionslive tracking website. On P99 these third party websites saved me soooo much time and money in EC tunnel too when I came back after a long break and was clueless to the value of most items.

• 318 posts
    January 6, 2017 10:26 AM PST

I am fine with websites posting guides and information that is gathered organically. But I cannot stand it when dataminers post spoilers decoded from the client source code after patches.

• 2130 posts
    January 6, 2017 10:53 AM PST

Wellspring said:

I am fine with websites posting guides and information that is gathered organically. But I cannot stand it when dataminers post spoilers decoded from the client source code after patches.

Datamining ends with just not pushing unnecessary information to the client. It isn't really the dataminers that are the problem.

• 3016 posts
    January 6, 2017 11:50 AM PST

Laura said:

Yeah I'd use them if I really was stumped on something, the rest of the time I got it figured out myself. :)

• 556 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:25 PM PST

Portalgun said:

Laura said:

Those sites were so valuable to my gaming experience when I needed them and I was always glad they were there. Also, sites for P99 like the Ahungry and the now dead EQauctionslive tracking website. On P99 these third party websites saved me soooo much time and money in EC tunnel too when I came back after a long break and was clueless to the value of most items.

This is part of the reason I don't like sites like those. Items are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If i can sell item A for 1k gold and someone else sells that same item for 600 next week does that mean that the next person a week later should have to meet the same? Part of the fun buying and selling in early eq was that none of that was really trackable unless you paid attention. Hell I got some very high end stuff really cheap that I would turn huge profits off of. So having sites that tracking what is selling for what arbitrary price is bad imo. Other than that I am all for information sites ala allakhazam and such. They don't hurt anything because if you want the mystery you just dont look

• 3016 posts
    January 6, 2017 12:29 PM PST

Oh I was there for information on where to find something in-game or for help solving a quest.  Never bought from those guys. 

• 2130 posts
    January 6, 2017 1:23 PM PST

Enitzu said:

This is part of the reason I don't like sites like those. Items are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If i can sell item A for 1k gold and someone else sells that same item for 600 next week does that mean that the next person a week later should have to meet the same? Part of the fun buying and selling in early eq was that none of that was really trackable unless you paid attention. Hell I got some very high end stuff really cheap that I would turn huge profits off of. So having sites that tracking what is selling for what arbitrary price is bad imo. Other than that I am all for information sites ala allakhazam and such. They don't hurt anything because if you want the mystery you just dont look

How is having a site telling you what something sells for an average more arbitrary than coming up with a random price on the fly?

Items are  worth what someone is willing to pay, but that only goes so far. Allowing people to know when they're getting ripped off can't really be a bad thing.

• 144 posts
    January 6, 2017 1:58 PM PST

Players have every right to use every means at their disposal to get themselves the best deal possible when buying, same as others have that same right to try any means at their disposal to get that "extra bit of gold" when selling.

It works both ways.

• 169 posts
    January 6, 2017 2:02 PM PST

I've thought about this as well.

People used sites and drew maps for original Everquest.  Often it was needed as the game could be very vague/cryptic.  You would be surprised how many peeple were spamming questions on where to go even in WoW Vanilla.  If people have to follow instructions or maps outside the game it may not be worth the effort for them.  It's not as simple as following a glowy trail or GPS.  The perception system makes it sound like it will be easier to follow than traditional EQ Quests.

• 1618 posts
    January 6, 2017 3:50 PM PST

Portalgun said:

Players have every right to use every means at their disposal to get themselves the best deal possible when buying, same as others have that same right to try any means at their disposal to get that "extra bit of gold" when selling.

It works both ways. 

I hate negotiations. I hate finding out I got screwed on a price. If I can research what others have paid for an item recently, damn right I will.

Same with selling an item. I may think it's not worth much to me, but if a bunch of other people have paid out the @@@ for it recently, I will definitely charge more.

• 1618 posts
    January 6, 2017 3:51 PM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

People used sites and drew maps for original Everquest.  Often it was needed as the game could be very vague/cryptic.  You would be surprised how many peeple were spamming questions on where to go even in WoW Vanilla.  If people have to follow instructions or maps outside the game it may not be worth the effort for them.  It's not as simple as following a glowy trail or GPS.  The perception system makes it sound like it will be easier to follow than traditional EQ Quests.

I printed all the maps and hung them on the walls around me.

Those were great and player made.

• 169 posts
    January 6, 2017 4:03 PM PST

Beefcake said:

UnknownQuantity said:

I printed all the maps and hung them on the walls around me.

Those were great and player made.

They were pretty good maps, but its harder to follow a map in EQ that is multi leveled and has fake walls and floors.  Its much easier to follow a GPS around.  I still remember the players in Vanilla WoW asking for directions to what was clearly stated in the quest log.  Thats why not many people finished quests in EQ and most people leveled outside of dungeons.