Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Cross server transfers

• 801 posts
    December 23, 2016 8:15 AM PST

Just saying it worked, it helped fund projects, expansions and it was a good thing for others to meet up with others in different servers.

If i used the transfers, and character merging of accounts i would be willing to pay extra for this. This way if 10 years comes along, and there is this cool guild i wanted to join up, recruitment maybe low in the game, so we are forced to transfer accounts to another server.

Thus allowing our network devs to provide us with the transfers.

I would not mind this system, as it worked rather well for the most part. I am not talking about transfering items to another server in hopes to sell them for cash shops. (These rule sets can be made by the devs)

Search = 0 results, so new topic?

• 323 posts
    December 23, 2016 8:21 AM PST

My hope is that server transfers will be available for a charge between servers of the same ruleset and origination date.  To be sure, transfers among servers can have a disruptive effect on the origin server or the destination server, but I tend to believe those disruptions are better than having players "stuck" on a server they don't want to be on.  Similarly, I would hope that VR actively monitors the health of servers and merges servers of the same ruleset and origination date to prevent the existence of any ghost servers.  Again, this would cause disruptions, but so long as these possibilities are disclosed at the outset, I think the player base would learn to deal with it. 

• 801 posts
    December 23, 2016 8:27 AM PST

Gnog said:

My hope is that server transfers will be available for a charge between servers of the same ruleset and origination date.  To be sure, transfers among servers can have a disruptive effect on the origin server or the destination server, but I tend to believe those disruptions are better than having players "stuck" on a server they don't want to be on.  Similarly, I would hope that VR actively monitors the health of servers and merges servers of the same ruleset and origination date to prevent the existence of any ghost servers.  Again, this would cause disruptions, but so long as these possibilities are disclosed at the outset, I think the player base would learn to deal with it. 

Yes i agree, like i remember some rulesets where different for some custom servers. I thinK FV comes to mind?

When SOE had to merge servers, it took what i remember a good old server and put it with a not so good name, and became in the end a lost story. Having roots is ok, but server mergers can have ill effect. Maybe it is just the old never gets old, we dont like change. When i returned to those mergers we had less then the left over players we had before the mergers. It was 2-3 servers into one.

So if it was called something stupid had a bad rep for morons playing there, we wanted off too. Transfers, i have no data on if it was sucessful or not but anything is better then nothing for the player sake and the devs sake to earn revenue.

Server transfers with sql should not be a problem, i cant see how it would be.

• 633 posts
    December 23, 2016 9:15 AM PST

My only problem with server transfers is I've seen people stung by people who were generally bad on the server (including stealing from guildies) and then just transfer servers to lose their bad rep.  Of course, if a server merger occurs, there should be transfers allowed.  Also, if a server is getting low population, allowing transfers to it to help would be good.  My personal opinion if transfers are allowed in general, it should be priced to make it so that people will have to really want to do it, and have some restrictions on it (can't transfer more than 1 time a month or something).

The same can be said for name changes as well, since someone just has to change their name to lose a bad rep.

As the game gets older, things change.  But I'm hoping for a while server transfers won't be very easy to do.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    December 23, 2016 12:05 PM PST

Likely we'll do them, but likely you'll have to transfer naked.  Don't want to disrupt the shard economies.

• 1778 posts
    December 23, 2016 12:24 PM PST

That sounds good Brad. I think people should be able to transfer (probably for a small fee). But totally agree about Naked transfer. This allows poeple to transfer if they really want to, but makes them weigh if its important enough to go Naked. If its for friends, then Im sure their friends will take care of them when they arrive. If its because you have become the offical server Pariah, then good luck on your rock bottom reboot. Maybe you learned something and can be a decent person this next time around.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    December 23, 2016 12:25 PM PST

Amsai said:

That sounds good Brad. I think people should be able to transfer (probably for a small fee). But totally agree about Naked transfer. This allows poeple to transfer if they really want to, but makes them weigh if its important enough to go Naked. If its for friends, then Im sure their friends will take care of them when they arrive. If its because you have become the offical server Pariah, then good luck on your rock bottom reboot. Maybe you learned something and can be a decent person this next time around.

Well said.

• 54 posts
    December 23, 2016 12:30 PM PST

Amsai said:

If its because you have become the offical server Pariah, then good luck on your rock bottom reboot. 

Well I'm out of luck already... :(

I'm all for Server Transfers completely naked or with just your bound gear still in your inventory.

• 1618 posts
    December 23, 2016 1:00 PM PST

Aradune said:

Likely we'll do them, but likely you'll have to transfer naked.  Don't want to disrupt the shard economies.

Happy to hear. Although after the initial excitement of the game dies down, I hope there won't be too much need for server merges. I hate losing my character name because of a merge. My names are very important to me.

• 47 posts
    December 23, 2016 2:55 PM PST
    I like the idea Aradune. Definitely makes it more of a decision than a little money. If a massive amount transferred with everything, could really mess with the dynamics so I think that's smart.
    • 2130 posts
    December 23, 2016 4:49 PM PST

Rather than naked, wouldn't it makes more sense to only be able to transfer without plat and droppables? No-Drop raid loot doesn't influence economies. Neither do epic weapons.

• 1468 posts
    December 23, 2016 4:53 PM PST

Liav said:

Rather than naked, wouldn't it makes more sense to only be able to transfer without plat and droppables? No-Drop raid loot doesn't influence economies. Neither do epic weapons.

Hopefully there won't be any no drop items. I want everything to be tradable.

• 2130 posts
    December 23, 2016 5:11 PM PST

Cromulent said:

Somehow I doubt Pantheon will have everything tradable. You'd be able to buy the best gear in the game with real life money through Chinese plat sellers. **** that. Epics will certainly not be tradable.

• 1468 posts
    December 23, 2016 5:45 PM PST

Liav said:

Cromulent said:

Somehow I doubt Pantheon will have everything tradable. You'd be able to buy the best gear in the game with real life money through Chinese plat sellers. **** that. Epics will certainly not be tradable.

I can agree with epics and other quest reward loot being NO DROP but drops from mobs should be tradable I think. It worked well on Firona Vie and I don't see why it wouldn't work in Pantheon either.

• 2130 posts
    December 23, 2016 6:51 PM PST

Cromulent said:

I can agree with epics and other quest reward loot being NO DROP but drops from mobs should be tradable I think. It worked well on Firona Vie and I don't see why it wouldn't work in Pantheon either.

Firiona Vie is a special ruleset server. Applying that to the entirety of Pantheon would be a huge mistake.

You say "it worked well" but that's extremely nebulous. Buying Chinese plat to pay for the best gear the game has to offer is literally pay to win, and is an inevitability of a server like that.

• 85 posts
    December 23, 2016 6:53 PM PST

I like Brad's idea.  You'd really need to think if it was worth it.

I would say that it might be okay to add in ONE free transfer WITH your stuff, for characters under level 20ish.  VR could even add in a plat/item cap so someone couldn't load up a lowbie and transfer them. Something like that would help with the friends on a different server problem (or someone who just hates the server) and not be too disruptive to the economy.  

• 78 posts
    December 24, 2016 3:36 AM PST

I forsee an entrance like the Terminator for server transferees.

• 1468 posts
    December 24, 2016 5:59 AM PST

Liav said:

Cromulent said:

Firiona Vie is a special ruleset server. Applying that to the entirety of Pantheon would be a huge mistake.

You say "it worked well" but that's extremely nebulous. Buying Chinese plat to pay for the best gear the game has to offer is literally pay to win, and is an inevitability of a server like that.

I guess I have more faith in the player base than you. Just because an item is tradable doesn't mean people are instantly going to go out and buy plat from a farmer to buy the best gear in the game. Some might but most probably won't. The flexibility offered by not having NO DROP items is worth the possible small downside in my opinion but I can see where you are coming from as well.

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 6:10 AM PST

kelenin said:

My only problem with server transfers is I've seen people stung by people who were generally bad on the server (including stealing from guildies) and then just transfer servers to lose their bad rep.  Of course, if a server merger occurs, there should be transfers allowed.  Also, if a server is getting low population, allowing transfers to it to help would be good.  My personal opinion if transfers are allowed in general, it should be priced to make it so that people will have to really want to do it, and have some restrictions on it (can't transfer more than 1 time a month or something).

The same can be said for name changes as well, since someone just has to change their name to lose a bad rep.

As the game gets older, things change.  But I'm hoping for a while server transfers won't be very easy to do.

That is more guild policy then game policy. If you guys accept someone from another server without doing a interview, your the ones at fault.

The best way is to find out thier past history, but it is the same as someone from your own server, all of a sudden causing grief to the guild.

It happens no matter what protection rule sets you put in place. Nothing can be done at the server transfer lvl, it becomes an internal policy.

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 6:13 AM PST

Aradune said:

Smart man on campus :) thanks for replying Aradune.

One thing that just poped in my mind, having it possible as soon "As possible" allows for the ability to start stockpiling revenue.

It may or may not allow for reduction of server mergers later on. If the game supports it early on, we could say no mergers at this time, you would need to transfer players off and on.

How much revenue would be something Brad you would have to look into, if it was do able early on, would it effect the game later on. I have no data on that, only you would.

What games did it early on? i dont think any did. It is a possible projected small cash influx, that could be stock piled. After the 1st and 2nd year you may see income coming in from it.

I wouldnt expect anything good until the 6th month into beta, release.

It is not a P2W thing folks, it is only something that players need if you do not understand it. Being able to move to another server strengthens our game.

It worked, it did not work with FV as some no dropped items opened up for sale on FV. Ruining the market i think.

1. Nekkid is a good thing, then you know the person isnt trying to screw around here with this transfer.

2. once per 7 days??

This post was edited by Crazzie at December 24, 2016 6:24 AM PST
    • 763 posts
    December 24, 2016 6:27 AM PST

Many of the 'reputation' related issues can be ironed out with judicious use of the 'character info' and 'character history' tabs. I don't see why, should your name be changed, that the old name cannot be put into 'character history' as 'was once known as on ', and your new name issued and copied to 'character info' as 'Now known as '.

These field then provide enough information for anyone who really needs a detailed look (e.g. Guild Officer debating admission). This would strongly discourage multiple server/shard changes I imagine.

You could even give them an achievement 'Shard-changed' (changed shard) or 'Shard-Tourist' (changed shards 3+ times).

PS only issue comes from where shards have different rulesets. There may be issues there as the difficulty/challenge levels may vary from one to another.

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 6:48 AM PST

A good person, had to leave a server because a bad person got it wrong, and started harassing this person. They where forced to leave and change their name, as the assults came in.

A female, has been harassed by individuals and was forced to leave the server and change her name.

There is so many examples, and even a thief can use it to his or her advantages.

You should not allow a person into your vault until you feel it is fit to do so, but to police what the previous names are? isnt a good thing. You can see why every dirt should not be looked into, and you base your own judgements on that person.

This isnt CS-GO this is a MMO, and those instinct come from prior games. You can police your own guild.

This post was edited by Crazzie at December 24, 2016 6:50 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    December 24, 2016 9:49 AM PST

Crazzie said:

A good person, had to leave a server because a bad person got it wrong, and started harassing this person. They where forced to leave and change their name, as the assults came in.

A female, has been harassed by individuals and was forced to leave the server and change her name.

There is so many examples, and even a thief can use it to his or her advantages.

You should not allow a person into your vault until you feel it is fit to do so, but to police what the previous names are? isnt a good thing. You can see why every dirt should not be looked into, and you base your own judgements on that person.

This isnt CS-GO this is a MMO, and those instinct come from prior games. You can police your own guild.

harassment is a completly seperate deal, if something of that sort happens then its up to the GMs to step in and fix the situation. Ban the harrasers account (if its a sub based buyable game that is not a light punishment). GMs have complete and total access to ALL chat (tells, guild, server, group) and its not hard to figure out who the aggressor is in most cases. If someone should be forced to switch servers because of a harasment situation then I agree that the former names or any info on that player  shouldnt be released

• 801 posts
    December 24, 2016 1:20 PM PST

Yeah but sevens it doesnt go that way. You catch maybe 1 or 2 and the rest sit idol by and got away with it. So leaving a server is a good thing for those people, and having no ability to search out their old name in the process, to cause further harm to you and your new guild.

The devs cant keep up to the chat system, we both know thats true. But thats just a what if situation, clearly not the best one but one that you can clearly understand why someone would not want to be associated to their old name.

• 1618 posts
    December 24, 2016 2:41 PM PST

Naked transfers are the best way to control abuse.

Also, when the average player buys an item from another player, how are they supposed to know it the item is from a plat seller or not?

I may play all day most days, earn a lot of loot, sell it all. Doesn't make me a plat farmer/seller.

No transfers with any gear or plat, outside of server merges. You want to leave, start fresh.