Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Variable Speed

• 1404 posts
    December 19, 2016 1:34 PM PST

All MMO's I have seen have two movement speeds, they toggle between Run/Walk , and virtually nobody ever walks (I did know one girl that refused to run while in towns) 

Seems to me with the cliffs we saw in the live stream a variable speed (say, controlled by Alt/MouseWheel) would be pretty usefull.

Would this be practical, or would it require a mass amounts of animations to go with it.

This post was edited by Zorkon at December 19, 2016 1:38 PM PST
    • 200 posts
    December 19, 2016 2:14 PM PST

7 Speed transmission MMO movement.

Crawl > passive aggressive kid dragging their feet to something they don't want to do > Stagger > Walk > Run > Run just faster than your slowest group member so they get eaten > Ludicrous Speed (They've gone plaid!)

All kidding aside, I do wonder if once you get near an edge or cliff if there is a way to make a setting to toggle run/walk for you as an option in game (so if you don't like it you can disable it). This could help you not just bolt off a cliff

This post was edited by Warben at December 19, 2016 2:15 PM PST
    • 47 posts
    December 19, 2016 2:28 PM PST

Cliffs...give me SOW and cross your fingers. Should be a requirement.

But yea, would be nice to be able to slow down when you're just a step away from your death, nothing more frustrating than a CR bc you hauled ass off a cliff lol. I'm sure there will be something, doubt it will be that different then what you see today though.

• 668 posts
    December 19, 2016 3:00 PM PST

I would be ok with holding down "alt" to go to crawl speed or something similar, especially if falling off high points equals death...  This way you can be cautious around deadly ledges when needed (extra control)

Another useful feature is a small sprint for advanced areas where you may need extra speed to clear a crevice.  This would have to be limited so travel is not abused (stamina test or something similar).

• 1434 posts
    December 19, 2016 3:18 PM PST

I actually wouldn't mind there being different movement speeds if the faster you moved, the more stamina you used.

I'd actually like to see the ability to sprint briefly come standard. Unlike an action of fps game though, you'd actually have to stop and rest to get that stamina back.

• 1404 posts
    December 19, 2016 5:29 PM PST

I wasn't really thinking anything faster like a spint, more like Warben was was kidding about, a 7 speed transmission  (I was thinking 10) where 1 is walking speed and 10 is the normal run. The people here on this site are all long time we'll skilled gamers, but many (I'll be dragging my wife along with me) and I know damn well in RUN were going to be picking her corpse off the rocks, the other option is WALK and then we'll be waiting on her all day. At least something in the middle like a Jog would be good.

This post was edited by Zorkon at December 19, 2016 5:30 PM PST