Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will Pantheon have a Elemental Weakness/Strength System?

• 27 posts
    December 16, 2016 2:37 PM PST

Looking back at the Final Fantasy universe, will Pantheon use a Elemental Strength/Weakness system?  Here are some examples of past FF Elemental Strength/Weakness charts. For example looking at the first chart for Water & Fire. Water strength spells are strong againt mobs who are elementally aligned with Fire while Fire based attacks are weak against Water aligned mobs. I read in another thread that there will be weather which can affect a battle, I was just wondering if the combat system will include elemental attacks/defense.

• 1778 posts
    December 16, 2016 2:47 PM PST

I know they have mentioned weakness and strength types of damage to mobs. Though I doubt they would be using FF style system. I know that they did talk about in the last stream, having blunt damage be more effective in one situation and like piercing in another. Im pretty sure with the weather and atmosphere systems it would be in effect for different damage types. And they have given brief examples of Druid controlling a storm to step up a other classes lightening damage.

So expect to see a similar system in place, but not likely the same.

• 2886 posts
    December 16, 2016 4:24 PM PST

Amsai said:

I know they have mentioned weakness and strength types of damage to mobs. Though I doubt they would be using FF style system. I know that they did talk about in the last stream, having blunt damage be more effective in one situation and like piercing in another. Im pretty sure with the weather and atmosphere systems it would be in effect for different damage types. And they have given brief examples of Druid controlling a storm to step up a other classes lightening damage.

So expect to see a similar system in place, but not likely the same.

Agreed

• 35 posts
    December 16, 2016 6:43 PM PST
    Soandso used Water Pump!

It's super effective!
    • 1778 posts
    December 16, 2016 7:27 PM PST

If nothing else, although I would be highly amused, Im sure ghost trains wont be weak to suplexes ^.^

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=suplex+a+train&view=detail&mid=876B35E5F153826E588C876B35E5F153826E588C&FORM=VIRE

What damage type would that be classified as?

This post was edited by Amsai at December 16, 2016 7:29 PM PST
    • 284 posts
    December 16, 2016 8:41 PM PST

Amsai, for reference in the most recent stream there were several instances where, for example, Cohh attacked a skeleton (I think it was Cohh, maybe it was Aradune). Anyway, both of them use slashing weapons, so when the damage registered there was a message in the combat log indicating something like "maybe this weapon is ineffective vs [the monster's name, it was cut off]". I believe we can reasonably conclude that the fundaments of the system are in place already.

In other words, TIME TO BRING BACK BANISH BABY YEAH.

• 27 posts
    December 17, 2016 3:32 AM PST

I remember back in the Ye Olde Pen/Paper Dungeon & Dragons game, sharp weapons only did 1/2 damage to mobs like skeletons. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far with this game.  I do like games that allow healers to use healing spells to damage the undead. 

• 284 posts
    December 17, 2016 10:07 AM PST

Well based on what the devs said in the latest stream, there will be as many possible resistances and damage bonuses are there are possible materials to make weapons out of. I'm pretty excited by the concept that weapons have different purposes.

• 2138 posts
    December 17, 2016 12:49 PM PST

If I underrstand correctly there may be some enviromnental impacts, and colored mana. So if it is a hot or- elemental fire type environment, you would need either better resist gear or resistance to the hot environment. Likewise- say the fire envirponment would cause red mana spells to be week or ineffective, in which case you would need to switch to blue mana. A glimpse of this was on the first twitch stream where the monster trains them all at the end while they are in the safe spot in town ( which was GREAT!)

• 2419 posts
    December 18, 2016 8:17 AM PST

Lets not overlook that EQ1, EQ2, etc all had resistances in their game mechanics.  Shooting a fire spell at a Fire Elemental in the Plane of Fire?  Worthless.  Ice spell?  Near 100% hits every time.  So for spells anyway casters had to be more careful than melee classes.  To see this expanded to include melee as well is something I'm wanting to experience.

• 76 posts
    December 18, 2016 12:31 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Lets not overlook that EQ1, EQ2, etc all had resistances in their game mechanics.  Shooting a fire spell at a Fire Elemental in the Plane of Fire?  Worthless.  Ice spell?  Near 100% hits every time.  So for spells anyway casters had to be more careful than melee classes.  To see this expanded to include melee as well is something I'm wanting to experience.

Given that they said in the last stream that monsters have body types such as scale, bone, flesh ect i think we can asume melee will have to worry about this as well. they even mentioned avoiding slashing weapons with slimes lest you split them into two slimes.