Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Group Memories...

• 9115 posts
    October 31, 2016 3:55 AM PDT

What is the most memorable group experience that you have had, and what did you accomplish?

• 85 posts
    October 31, 2016 3:59 AM PDT

Grouping with my guildmates is a joke nothing gets done.. But Raiding... Well.. Brohn made a vid long ago.. here it is..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csB6jaRpoSE - All the fails + bugs from the encounter to World first kill...

This post was edited by Azraell at October 31, 2016 4:03 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    October 31, 2016 4:32 AM PDT

Azraell said:

Grouping with my guildmates is a joke nothing gets done.. But Raiding... Well.. Brohn made a vid long ago.. here it is..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csB6jaRpoSE - All the fails + bugs from the encounter to World first kill...

Nice to see you around Az, Tharridon was a fun fight, definitely one of my good memories too :)

• 781 posts
    October 31, 2016 4:33 AM PDT

Grouping with guildmates! Enigma( Mortal ) We had a great year !  Thx for the memories guys. :) 

Server First Guild Creation. March 2011 Top 10 Rift Zam World First Leaderboards. March 2011 Server First Level 50 ( Cersei ). March 2011 Server First Level 50 (Every Class). March 2011 Server First Greenscale. April 2011* Server Fist Gilded Prophecy. May 2011* Server First Alsbeth. May 2011* Server First Prestige PvP Rank 8. (Kelem) August 2011* Server First Drowned Halls. August 2011*

This post was edited by Kelem at October 31, 2016 4:33 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    October 31, 2016 5:34 AM PDT

Kelem said:

Grouping with guildmates! Enigma( Mortal ) We had a great year !  Thx for the memories guys. :) 

Server First Guild Creation. March 2011 Top 10 Rift Zam World First Leaderboards. March 2011 Server First Level 50 ( Cersei ). March 2011 Server First Level 50 (Every Class). March 2011 Server First Greenscale. April 2011* Server Fist Gilded Prophecy. May 2011* Server First Alsbeth. May 2011* Server First Prestige PvP Rank 8. (Kelem) August 2011* Server First Drowned Halls. August 2011*

Very nice, Hydd and the rest of Enigma/Mortal are very cool and talented players, I look forward to seeing you all in PRF :D

• 422 posts
    October 31, 2016 7:55 AM PDT

This was in Dark Age of Camelot. I was playing a Lurakeen Ranger, my friends were a Celt Warrior (i don't think it was called warrior but its been a hot minute) and a Human Druid. We were deep in a dungeon, we had been crawling for quite some time. The environment was amazing. It "felt" like a cold dreary dark old ruined city. It was huge and we could crawl for hours. The only thing I can really compare it to is in LOtR when the Fellowship was moving through Moria. No one wanted to make a noise. Every sound "felt" loud and the air was oppressive. You could feel the weight of the rock above your head. That was the single most engaging in game experience I have ever had. I had become so immersed into the environment and my character that for a moment I was there in person.

This is something that is sorely, sorely lacking in ALL MMOs since. Every. Single. One.

Everquest often gave me the same sense of immersion but this one example in DAoC has always stuck with me

• 34 posts
    October 31, 2016 8:47 AM PDT

My most memorable group experiences are those from very early on in my MMO 'career'. No particular goals in mind -- just hanging out with friends.

One that comes to mind is a group of players I hung out with in the Steamfont Mountains, pulling mobs from around and inside the minotaur caves, and having to flee the area whenever another group or higher level player got overwhelmed by the Minotaur Lord (a mob 20-25 levels higher than the general mob population in the area). Those trains (sometimes corpse recoveries) made for some memorable times. Total noob moment: The first few times I ever saw zone shouts of "train", I envisioned a literal train (choo choo...) and wondered what was up with that.

Later, I met some friends in Old Sebilis and recall spending a lot of time with them in Velketor's Labyrinth (the kobold tunnels) and in the Planes of Power expansion (namely the Plane of Nightmares, the Bastion of Thunder, and elemental planes). In the latter, we pulled off some big wins on named mobs that were meant for mini-raids rather than single groups.

I'm sure I could come up with many more.

Oh, and then there were the groups within raids, too... Anyone who's ever raided will tell you that sometimes, you'd be in the same group of players for hours at a time, sometimes several times per week as part of the raid, and the banter during downtime could just get hilarious. Ooooh some great times, yes.

This post was edited by Xaruk at October 31, 2016 8:48 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 31, 2016 10:57 AM PDT

My best memories are getting awesome pickup groups in Lower Guk, SolB, and Sebilis.

I was rarely guilded, but I don't think a "guild group" is by default better. I've seen a lot of really dumb/bad players in guilds before.

• 166 posts
    October 31, 2016 11:46 AM PDT

In the best group memories I have, we really accomplished nothing :) Or better don't say nothing, because we had a lot of fun.

Together with a few RL friends and pretty new to the game we had the best gaming sessions ever.

We played untill early in the morning and tried to make our way through a zone where we were absolutelly to low. Every few steps it ended in a group wipe, but slowly but steady we discovered this zone.

On antoher evening we tried to find the ominous GM island, that should be somewhere far out in the sea. Of course we never found it.

• 428 posts
    October 31, 2016 12:09 PM PDT

Haha EQ2 me and my main group were flying around the cloud stations in KOS. Well I went tot he wrong island and was like screw it we will hook back up in a few minutes.  Next Island I run into a group fromour arch nemsis guild and I start getting pounded.  Im yelling in vent my group is trying to get to the cloud to fly into the island im stuck at.  At 5 percent health I manage to pop my stoneskin and lay of hands pop a clickly heal and im back to full health.  Right as that happens my group lands the warlock tosses a rift right as a ground pound and you see 4 of the 6 fall off th edge. They were so pissed.

Best non game the same group plus like 10 others from our guild all took a trip to ireland and got hammered doing the Dublin Pub Crawl

• 200 posts
    October 31, 2016 12:09 PM PDT

1. Triggering Tower1 (mindblight) event in Everquest by running a buddy who was on auto follow out into the middle of the room to trigger the event to pull a Leeroy Jenkins and being able to have the other guy get blamed for it :D

2.  Rogue epic event 1.0 in Kithicor,  and getting the QUILL TO DROP!!

3.  Plane of Hate Raids at current content...breaking in and chain agro... CAMP A CLERIC OMFG!!

4.  Kunark Era grouping in Old Seb, conversations about everything and nothing.

5. FBSS camp....ugh

6. Farming Stiens of Oggoks and selling them at T1 in EC on my first character a druid..and thinking it was totally worth the work!!

7. Being in awe of a shaman soloing in Howling stones back in the day....

8. Leading raids and allowing for an environment that people enjoyed being in, vs that "white-knuckled" if you mess up you will get -50 DKP!! (welp group to the left!).

• 137 posts
    October 31, 2016 1:19 PM PDT
    I have tons of great group memories from EQ1, but the one that comes to mind first is when I was trying to faction grind my Troll Shadow Knight in High Hold Pass. I really enjoyed this character and would in somewhat or a funny way roll play him as being afraid of Gnomes just to help pass the time.

Well apparently we had some GM paying attention. Before we knew it, mid pull, I end up with this Gnome Rogue backstabbing me and robbing me blind while in combat, I died and considering we were on PvE server noone really knew what was going on at this point. But off and on for probaby a hour plus this Gnome would show up, pick pocket items, gold, even gear off me while I fought, mean while talking smack about my fear of Gnomes. FINALLY we figured out what was going on and attacked the Gnome and finally killed him. Looting his corpse I got all my gear, a cake if I recall and a few items to split between the group. That one night ended up being the starting point of some very long friendships.
    • 2138 posts
    October 31, 2016 2:16 PM PDT

Down the ramp and to the left, the other way is certain death....

We were all around 37-38. Troll SK, Half-E druid, Half-E ranger, High-E Cleric, Eudite mage, and we picked up a Monk Iksar who was LFG- I mean, we were in Kunark and we were heading to Kaesora. The Troll said the librarian had a nice book that would be good for the cleric. The Iksar was giving away things to newbies and splitting mobs for newbies to pass the time.I knew a Power of water may drop there so i was hopeful, but not expecting. I bound everyone at the entrance.

The spiders were hard, we had to stop and med a bit afterwards and almost lost the troll and cleric and silently cursed the monk for FD'ing instead of trying to beat down the monsters- I mean, we had a cleric and a druid but the spiders were too close to root, we were in aggro range in that small room. Once that was sorted and the monk was assured by patch heals from the druid we made good progress down the building- we went right at the entrance to the library- to clear only those and down the hall inside. this took about 2 hours?

The raveners were easy-ish, but no Power of water.

We rounded the wall and pressed in the left corner while the SK assesed the situation. One pull was a single and doable. but we needed to med.

I dont know what happened next. no one moved, we were all medding for a bit and nothing in aggro range but tons of ghosts and monsters were beating on us. We tried to determine who pulled- lots of shouting in chat- even the monk could not FD and we wiped.

At the entrance we decided  I had to summon armor and jewelry for everyone, - The Troll admonishing me to summon every piece of jewerlry I could. I had no armor for the druid, monk or myself, but the plate and chain was welcome for the others. I asked the members what was their best weapon- to make it to our corpses we needed to do as much damage as possible so only the weapon in which we had the highest skill would be a better choice.

The monk- for whatever reason asked what I could summon, and asked for a 2HB. (Who is good at 2HB? especially in late to mid 30's? I mean yes, they are powerful, but slow) So I asked him and he said, no, I want to level up my 2HB thankfully the troll then explained he should have his best skilled item, because we needed to do as much damage we could to get to our corpses if we wanted to live. The monk then also asked if this was all the jewelry I could summon- heh.

That's when we made up the ditty- so we all knew what way we were going and to avoid the pit fall and the locked door.

We tried to assuage ourselves saying the spiders were close to the entrance- but the Troll reminded us we the door was one way.

The spiders were tough, at point the cleric had one on him alone, I knew he could not handle it so- silently- we all-  worked it out. all the spiders were dead and we took the time to med to full and buff as welll as could.

We did make it all the way down. We could not rez and it was late so we just gathered our stuff and waited for the druid to port- I was told to gate to lessen the odds of one being left behind.

Just then- a bunch of higher levels plowed right past us- asking what we were there for and we said we were leaving. They mentioned they were there only for the book (ha!) . They cleared the library and were on their way out, but paused while the leader of their group told their group to buff us, which they seemed to do reluctantly. The dwarf asked if I was a mage and how I was doing on the epic. I replied. Then he asked if I had a power of water and I said no. One had dropped on their way down as they were clearing the ravager wa just outside in the hall if I wanted it (remember, it was no-drop).

It was the "naked" fight down, that I remember.    

• 9115 posts
    October 31, 2016 4:09 PM PDT

Awesome stories folks, keep them coming! :)

• 80 posts
    October 31, 2016 4:13 PM PDT

Vex Thul our Wizard fell asleep on us was a fun night.

• 137 posts
    October 31, 2016 5:00 PM PDT
    Ok ok, I can't resist and have a ton. The guild I was in on Terew Marr was like second on the server to get into Vex Thal (Really same story happened in to "Avatar of War" in Kael Drakkel). Anyone who knows anything about that raid early on, knows that it was an eight hour raid. That being said it was really long and as a Wizard standing in the background, boring at times....so you found ways to keep yourself occupied. Myself and another Wizard had a habit of dueling during fights. None outside of the Wizard chat channel had any clue, we would get heals in the regular rotation, making it the longest duel on the planet. Right as we pulling Aten, I landed an awesome critical cast on my buddy.... (same with Avatar of war)......we wiped, as we were in the process of getting around for a second attempt one of the officers looking over the logs to see what went wrong says "So why did three Clerics switch to heal Hocus right as we pulled?".............."Riply, Hocus, please join the officer chat for a minute"..........lost a few raid points that day........
    • 169 posts
    October 31, 2016 6:29 PM PDT
    For me, I would have to say it was when I was playing Eqoa, and we all spent a,week camping Lady Vox for her Shaw so that our guild could have access to the plane of sky port for raids.
    So we sat there killing ice giants and goblin rovers in shifts...my eyes were starting to burn because of all the perpetual white...and finally she spawns....
    I immediately picked up the phone to call my guildies to they could log in and run there to assist in the kill so we could flag and loot it for atleast 1 of our wizards or druids....
    10 mins after the first call friends and guildies started logging in and running to Vox castle, training themselves on the run to her lair...killing a few of us that were there waiting....
    At the last minute before pull, my gnome friend logged in asking us to wait before our pull, we told him to run his little gnome legs off so we can kill it before another guild shows up....
    So he runs up through the castle...rooting mobs and slowing them on the run.... as he turns the corner into her lair he accidentally cons her when trying to hail her in chat and nukes her....
    Not being ready for the pull I started chain taunting praying I can get aggro and position her before she starts ageing the raid.....
    Unfortunately I couldn't get her turned and in position in time to save half the raid...2 healers and half the dps down I started yelling for the clerics and shamans to buff and keep us alive until we can rez. The dead.....20 mins later we killed her, we only had 4 people left alive, but we had our port for accessing the raids in the plane of sky
    • 2419 posts
    October 31, 2016 7:15 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is the most memorable group experience that you have had, and what did you accomplish?

I find it nearly impossible to pick a single 'most memorable' group experience from 16 expansions of EQ1 or 6 expansions of EQ2, or 26 expansions of EVE Online.  :(  I end up thinking back and going "oh, that was awesome' then remembering another one..and another one..etc etc etc on and on.

I guess what this means is grouping is far more likely to end up with great memories than doing anything solo.  Did I have some craptastic times in groups? Without a doubt, but it wasn't the group which was the problem but the individual.  For your next post, Kilsin, ask 'What is the worst experience you've had with another player, and what happened?'

• 243 posts
    October 31, 2016 8:34 PM PDT

One that comes to mind is figuring out a named mob in EQ2 that was in a new dungeon.  We worked at it for about 3 hours till we finally figured it out.  Yes, we died a lot, and it was a pain, but after we killed it we felt great.  The next time it wasn't so bad, but still was challenging, and made for some good laughs as we recalled the stupid mistakes we made as we learned how to kill it.

• 89 posts
    November 1, 2016 7:52 AM PDT

I would have to say Hakkar in vanilla wow.  We had a late night group that use to work on progression through ZG after 40 mans, and Hakkar would just own our bacon every single night.  Those were some of the nastiest dot's I'd ever encountered before in an MMO.  And when we downed him, I swear my whole neighborhood knew. :)

• 9 posts
    November 3, 2016 7:06 AM PDT

I remember in EQ1, in Old Sebillis, I was in a group where everything was working perfectly in one of the hardest spawns I think it was called throne room or Disco, but not sure anymore. As the groups enchanter I did my thing, and life was splendid until the server decided to throw the group into a nightmare of Linkdeads. I was alone, and soon the respawn would come!

There they were... Mez, hope that someone logged on. Noone did for a long time, and I held the place mezzed for 20+ minuttes alone, until they group started popping back in slowly. We survived, due to perfect mana mangement, luck and keeping calm!..

That was fantastic!.

I have many fond memories of ToV and killing the dragon outside of ToV, Sontalak. That was a dragon that could kille an entire raid, if buff wasnt put in the right order, or one person didnt do his job. If everyone was focused and doing their job, it was a breeze :) a fight that was a constant frustration :)

• 409 posts
    November 4, 2016 12:12 PM PDT

EQ1, Lower Guk dead side, Savant room. Group was me (enchanter), three friends (SK, Monk, cleric), random pickup group bard who was afk and just played haste song I think? 

Our core foursome had been grinding LGuk daily from that exact same spot, and we had the place wired down to where on the 18 minute spawn timer, we could handle from Assassin/Supervisor down to AM/Ghoul, so like 6 total camps with a named/placeholder. This angered folks who popped into LGuk and did a camp check, but we knew our business and had things handled.

Anyway, some group decides to run down past our clears and take AM/Lord/hand and overlap us, calling out the hated "Sony doesn't recognize camps" thing. So our monk, stellar player he was changes his rotation to swipe the lower end mobs first, figuring we can handle resetting the spawn cycle. No sweat, we pull it off, all is good. This makes the camp stealers even more angry and we start getting /tell spam about being jerks who are guilty of zone disruption, etc. We just keep grinding and ignoring their nonense. So...

They decide it's time to grief, so they wait for respawns down at their end and they grab the train and run it to us in the Savant room which had just repopped on us. 11 frogloks in the samll room, and my enchanter derailed that whole train and kept it frozen with a mix of mezz, stun and charm and no help from the afk bard. None of us died, we killed all 11 mobs, took two spawn cycles to get the rotation reset, and then we sent tells to every person who griefed us thanking them for the bonus exp.

Generally, any time my enchanter turned a group wipe into a song worthy success...that was why I played EQ1 two years more than I probably should have. The occasional "grief the griefer" revenge stuff with my necro was fun, but nothing had the fun of turning over/bad pulls into success with an enchanter. The EQ1 enchnater is easily top three MMO class ever designed.

• 363 posts
    November 4, 2016 3:14 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

The day I received my surname while hunting wisps for greater lightstones at Erud's Crossing. Made 3 friends that day, 2 of whom I still keep in touch with.

Yeah, good memories...

• 7 posts
    November 4, 2016 5:30 PM PDT
    Would have to say the most fun was doing the age groups in sebilis and fungus grove... as a cleric most excitement there was.. 1 resisted stun from hot death..

Or the fun of the EQ1 plane of fear... Cazic Thule says.. insert pullers name.. lol sucker.. next call.. Cazic Thule says... Loading please wait... Flattliner... so not fun to die in camp to a call you kept laughing about...
    • 5 posts
    November 7, 2016 7:31 PM PST

Playing EQ I found a static group that played together several nights a week.  We helped develop each other, learned each others strengths and weaknesses.  Our group of six could do things that usually took a raid.  That camraderie is what I miss most about MMO.