Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game Status?

• 2 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:04 AM PST

Shayken said:

Also do keep in mind, there are going to be massive breathroughs in videocards here in the upcoming year. If they released alpha today, I'd upgrade my pc and throw away a crap ton of money. So it's another way to maybe justifying the wait time.. Start throwing $50 a paycheck into the savings account to build a new pc and get a 4k monitor or 2 when the game releases. :)

I couldn't wait. My wife (non gamer by anyones standard), I have been trying to enthuse her into playing this game along with rest of family some of who need no persuasion, has been buying me bits which was ok when it was keyboard mouse and monitor but then she got a CPU and I had to break it to her as gently as I could that I would now have to buy the rest as it would be critical that I test each component. 

For me I am quite happy with the drip feed we are getting, of course I would love Alpha to be announced today but I would prefer that Brad and developers/team where in control, more vids with dialogue always appreciated. The last thing I would want is for this to go the way Vanguard did, it IMHO was the sequal to EQ that EQ2 never was and was still the best game on the market when it was packed up into the virtual loft never to be seen again. 

• 129 posts
    February 2, 2017 7:19 AM PST
    100% agreed about Vanguard.
    • 3852 posts
    February 2, 2017 8:24 AM PST

I wouldn't say i am happy with the speed of development. I would like alpha to be tomorrow, beta next month and release before Summer. Who of us wouldn't want it- the development team more than anyone. But I understand the constraints, approve enthusiastically of waiting until things are ready, and as a player at the release of Vanguard do NOT want a similar experience ((shudder)).

I was about due for a new computer last month but since the current one is fine for EQ/EQ2 I'm waiting as long as I can. The closer to release I get it the better it will be. I don't expect 4K to be a good idea for Pantheon - the game should be optimized for far less powerful systems and 4K will be a big hit to framerate even with good cards - but I have been wrong before.

This post was edited by dorotea at February 2, 2017 8:25 AM PST
    • 172 posts
    February 3, 2017 2:22 PM PST

Game Status = Awesome

• 363 posts
    February 3, 2017 4:02 PM PST

Not to sound like "that guy," but I agree that the amount of information to those of us that have backed the development of this game is...to be blunt...severely lacking. When is alpha? When is beta? When is release? Sure, to be off by a few months is to be expected, if not accepted. But to say we are in pre-pre alpha for months??

Sorry, but...no.

I was going to add to my initial dollar amount for backing this game. But, until I see some hard numbers on dates and such...no way.

Edit: I understand that these types of games take time and such......but, to not keep us updated on the exact status of the game? You asked us to trust in you by spending our money. We simply ask of you to honor that trust by giving us a better timeline than "We're in pre alpha."

This post was edited by Anistosoles at February 3, 2017 4:05 PM PST
    • 363 posts
    February 3, 2017 4:09 PM PST

Shayken said:

Also do keep in mind, there are going to be massive breathroughs in videocards here in the upcoming year. If they released alpha today, I'd upgrade my pc and throw away a crap ton of money. So it's another way to maybe justifying the wait time.. Start throwing $50 a paycheck into the savings account to build a new pc and get a 4k monitor or 2 when the game releases. :)

Honestly, if this game requires a GTX1080 to run at max settings...I'll be pissed at buying my 1070.

• 1303 posts
    February 4, 2017 5:22 AM PST

Anistosoles said:

Not to sound like "that guy," but I agree that the amount of information to those of us that have backed the development of this game is...to be blunt...severely lacking. When is alpha? When is beta? When is release? Sure, to be off by a few months is to be expected, if not accepted. But to say we are in pre-pre alpha for months??

Sorry, but...no.

I was going to add to my initial dollar amount for backing this game. But, until I see some hard numbers on dates and such...no way.

Edit: I understand that these types of games take time and such......but, to not keep us updated on the exact status of the game? You asked us to trust in you by spending our money. We simply ask of you to honor that trust by giving us a better timeline than "We're in pre alpha."

I've been in the pre-release community of way too many promising games only to watch them get pushed to beta and release far too quickly. I've seen how it cripples the reputation of the game and leads to its eventual demise due to a lack of interest from a community that percieves it based wholly on its state when people were able to start posting about specific issue they had personally experienced. 

I will wait patiently for 2+ years for this if it means that the game is rock solid when NDA's are lifted and people have generally only praise to give. Anything else is counterproductive and self-defeating. 

And they are keeping us up to date. We know its in pre-pre-alpha. We know that they are working hard on new character models. We know they they are developing new gameplay areas. We know that the basics of combat are essentially complete, and there's a framework for a lot of other systems like factions, merchants, etc. We know that they are internally testing combat speeds, grouping rules and multiple group impacts in an area. We know that they have animations on the list of things to accomplish. 

At this point releasing too much more would be problematic because anything they do is subject to change. And telling you that "XYZ has been done" will be seen as gospel, half the crowd will cheer and demand that thing is set in stone, and the other half will scream bloody murder about how they hate it. 

• 72 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:32 PM PST

Anistosoles said:

Shayken said:

Honestly, if this game requires a GTX1080 to run at max settings...I'll be pissed at buying my 1070.

you should be regardless LOL! I kid i kid.  I went right for the 1080 SC and even hopped into the SSD.  I am currently running an intel 3.5 OC to 4.3.  I really want to invest in a new CPU 4.0 not OC. 

• 72 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:38 PM PST

I am glad for one that i just recently found out about Pantheon a couple months ago and not a couple YEARS ago.  Waiting years would have killed me up to this point.  As soon as these guys release the game when its ready, i have no doubt that funding will NOT be an issue.  Lets say they charge the 14.99 a month to play and get at least 100,000 subs.  Thats an easy 1.5 million a month.  I have no doubt that the subs will be well above that and i can NOT wait to use all of my vacation time upon release as well as have my relationship suffer!  I, again, only kid about the relationship suffering part.  The coercion of the girlfriend playing is still in pre-pre Alpha phase....

This post was edited by shasta at February 7, 2017 6:38 PM PST
    • 3237 posts
    February 7, 2017 6:57 PM PST
    I would like an update on the big update we were supposed to get last week. Don't take this the wrong way ... I was happy to have an ETA in the first place. I would rather have an ETA and then things be delayed than have no ETA at all. But last week was last week ... have things changed? Will it be this week? Next (next) week? Did I misinterpret the message?
    • 595 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:11 PM PST

oneADseven said: I would like an update on the big update we were supposed to get last week. Don't take this the wrong way ... I was happy to have an ETA in the first place. I would rather have an ETA and then things be delayed than have no ETA at all. But last week was last week ... have things changed? Will it be this week? Next (next) week? Did I misinterpret the message?

Sorry if I missed something, but can I ask what you're speaking of?  Did the team make a statement about an update?  Can you point me in the right direction?  Thanks very much!

• 3237 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:38 PM PST
    A"beefy" update is coming soon is all I know my friend. =D
    • 595 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:51 PM PST

oneADseven said: A"beefy" update is coming soon is all I know my friend. =D

Can I ask where this came from?  Was it a Facebook or Twitter update?

• 3016 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:55 PM PST

I would rather the Devs ignore those who are pressuring to get pre alpha ..yesterday,  in order to get the game where it SHOULD be for pre-alpha testing.  They've said quarter one or quarter two this year.   If they have to push it farther due to whatever behind the scenes issues have popped up..then so be it.  I've paid my money,   I've been here since early 2014,   I can still be patient.    Just because someone says hurry up I want this now...doesn't make the process go any faster. :P Participate in the forums,  read up on the lore and watch the COHH you-tube..inform yourself ..that should keep you busy for a while. :)   I'm currently delving into the lore..to try to understand the sequence of the different parts of the story and how Terminus came to be.  :)    Patience we'll get there.  :)

• 3016 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:56 PM PST

Nikademis said:

oneADseven said: A"beefy" update is coming soon is all I know my friend. =D

Can I ask where this came from?  Was it a Facebook or Twitter update?

I do believe it was one of the Devs that mentioned it...perhaps even Aradune.   I saw it posted too. :)

• 2138 posts
    February 7, 2017 8:01 PM PST

If I am not mistaken the phrase "Pre-pre-alpha" was coined by the community to express wilingness and eagernesss to wait for a finished product from the history of seeing unfinished products released with other games too soon.

• 1404 posts
    February 7, 2017 9:35 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

I would rather the Devs ignore those who are pressuring to get pre alpha ..yesterday,  in order to get the game where it SHOULD be for pre-alpha testing.  They've said quarter one or quarter two this year.   If they have to push it farther due to whatever behind the scenes issues have popped up..then so be it.  I've paid my money,   I've been here since early 2014,   I can still be patient.    Just because someone says hurry up I want this now...doesn't make the process go any faster. :P Participate in the forums,  read up on the lore and watch the COHH you-tube..inform yourself ..that should keep you busy for a while. :)   I'm currently delving into the lore..to try to understand the sequence of the different parts of the story and how Terminus came to be.  :)    Patience we'll get there.  :)

well said CanadinaXegony

I don't have any doubts they won't give in to pressure, Brad has seemed pretty set that we will get in when THEY need us and it will ship when THEY decide it's ready. Anything else would be game breaking, and Brad know's this better than any of us.

Take your time VR we'll still be here.

• 22 posts
    February 8, 2017 1:01 AM PST

I myself would love a little update even if it's not exactly pin-pointed yet to an exact date. If they threw a dart at the board, it doesn't have to be a bullseye date, just even close to the bullseye works for me at this point.

im holding off on building my new PC until I have a better idea of alpha / launch so I can get the latest and greatest system possible. In the past I have played way to many MMOs where my graphics were set as low as a possible to prevent lag / interruption,  not going to happen for me in this game!!!!

Ogee

• 9115 posts
    February 8, 2017 3:54 AM PST

oneADseven said: I would like an update on the big update we were supposed to get last week. Don't take this the wrong way ... I was happy to have an ETA in the first place. I would rather have an ETA and then things be delayed than have no ETA at all. But last week was last week ... have things changed? Will it be this week? Next (next) week? Did I misinterpret the message?

The only update we are releasing is the FAQ and Class/Race combos, while we still work hard towards the next stream and the new forums (both do not have ETAs currently but are not too far away), there is nothing else, so I am not sure what you mean?

• 3237 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:22 AM PST

Kilsin said:

The only update we are releasing is the FAQ and Class/Race combos, while we still work hard towards the next stream and the new forums (both do not have ETAs currently but are not too far away), there is nothing else, so I am not sure what you mean?

The updated FAQ is what I was referencing.  Brad responded to one of my posts on another thread when this was first mentioned, and went so far as to say that it would be a "beefy" update.  I think an updated FAQ would give all of us plenty of new information to digest and keep us busy while we oh so patiently wait for the most anticipated MMO of the year to become a reality.

• 1468 posts
    February 8, 2017 6:36 AM PST

Manouk said:

If I am not mistaken the phrase "Pre-pre-alpha" was coined by the community to express wilingness and eagernesss to wait for a finished product from the history of seeing unfinished products released with other games too soon.

As far as I am aware it is called pre-pre-alpha because VIP backers like myself will be given access to the game once it hits pre-alpha as per the rewards listed here:

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/#vip

So when the game enters pre-alpha that is when the VIPs will have access to the game and can start help with testing Pantheon and making sure that it is as bug free as we can possibly make it :). Of course I'm really looking forward to the game entering pre-alpha so I can help with testing but I'm prepared to wait. The only slightly sad thing about having to wait so long for news on it though is that some of my initial enthusiasm has worn off somewhat. It is hard to stay in state of excitment for over a year.

• 323 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:18 AM PST
    The posts demanding a more definite timeline are not helpful. We know the game will enter pre-alpha sometime this year, and later phases will be determined based on testing and funding going forward. If you are sitting around waiting for PRF before buying a computer or gaming generally, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Reset your expectations and be prepared to wait until 2019 for the release, with testing phases sometime before then. Or acquire a relevant development skill set and volunteer your services to VR to speed along the development. :)
    • 129 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:22 AM PST

Have already volunteered and applied for a position. But as has been said before - they have a limited budget and no need for support staff at this point. Right now they're looking for the best of the best in development more often than not. Or even in regards to testing when they hired Tim they took him on because he had such a large swath of experience. I'm sure tons of people like myself have some relevant experience and want to volunteer. However, Kilsin has repeated many times that they will not take on volunteers due to "legal reasons". I've never seen a company take that stance on interns before? So i'm not sure why they couldn't do it? I'd be really interested in hearing the more verbose legal reasoning as to why they won't do volunteers/intern's.

In any case, there are plenty of us that want to help. It just isn't in the cards. :)

Gnog said: The posts demanding a more definite timeline are not helpful. We know the game will enter pre-alpha sometime this year, and later phases will be determined based on testing and funding going forward. If you are sitting around waiting for PRF before buying a computer or gaming generally, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Reset your expectations and be prepared to wait until 2019 for the release, with testing phases sometime before then. Or acquire a relevant development skill set and volunteer your services to VR to speed along the development. :)

• 323 posts
    February 8, 2017 7:24 AM PST
    I didn't know, Verdic. In that case, you're here in my boat, just waiting..... :)
    • 769 posts
    February 8, 2017 10:29 AM PST

This is a touchy subject, and I see both sides of the fence here.

On one hand, you have Vanguard that got released too early. The pressure of a timely released was, in large part, responsible for its downfall. I would absolutely hate for that to happen to Pantheon, and so it keeps my mouth shut and allows me to wait patiently.

On the other hand, you have EQ Next that never got released at all. They too were awfully vague about release dates with the intention of "getting it right", but they sure would hype it up with roundtables and videos and discussions (Not to mention Landmark) - only to have it whisked out from under our feet.

It pains me to admit that if I were working less and had more time on my hands, I'd be a lot more nervous about Pantheon. As it is, luckily I just don't have the time to be nervous.

I don't care how long it takes, really, as long as it actually gets released.