Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Safe Fall - Useless? (Theorycraft)

• 1778 posts
    July 23, 2016 1:01 PM PDT
    Thanks for that Raidan. I didnt have all the facts apparently. That being said, I still think it something only a caster should do. Maybe give monk and rogues a feather foot instead to sound.
    • 2886 posts
    December 21, 2016 11:18 AM PST

Dullahan said:

I second secondary effects from safe fall. I think depending on the damage taken, it should A) stop you for a second while you recover (complete with fall and stand animation) and/or B) temporarily decrease your movement speed.

I was going to start a whole new thread on this, but I'll just agree here.

I think it would be awesome for there to be a chance to break your leg if you fall from certain heights. A broken leg significant decreases your movement speed for a period of time. A higher safe fall skill decreases your chances of breaking a leg when you fall.

I think Safe Fall is an interesting and unique skill in that it requires to take pretty significant risks just to have a chance at leveling it up. Most games do falling damage just plain wrong, but I'm betting that it'll be pretty substantial in Pantheon and Safe Fall will therefore be a worthwhile skill.

• 409 posts
    December 21, 2016 11:36 AM PST

I think the latest live stream *almost* answered this thread. Just depends if safe fall is actually in.

• 2886 posts
    December 21, 2016 11:39 AM PST

Nimryl said:

I think the latest live stream *almost* answered this thread. Just depends if safe fall is actually in.

Considering how it seems like jumping/climbing will be a pretty big part of the game, Safe Fall better be a thing lol

• 3016 posts
    December 21, 2016 12:20 PM PST

Not forgetting they stated that rogues will have a "rope".    Hope they still allow casters to cast levitate...solo and group.  

• 25 posts
    December 21, 2016 12:29 PM PST

As a caster in EQ, I can confirm that falling, even small falls, could really, really hurt. Safe fall helped you more than you thought, ha!

As for a story about how handy safe fall is...

I was a druid and touring my brother around Velious. My brother's monk? (or was it a rogue?) had me on auto-follow. We were close to the giant city of Kael. I remember that the path to it was a long ramp down with high cliffs. I knew he had safe fall, so I figured I'd prank him. I approached the ledge from the direction of the cliff (as opposed to straight to the city down the ramp). I had cast levitation on myself earlier. My brother was leaned back in his chair relaxing and chatting as we approached the cliff. We finally hit the cliff. I just kept on walking in the air, he was auto-following and, well let's just say, I've never seen my brother jump up to fast in his life. He grabbed the keyboard as he was falling down the cliff and landed on the edge of the cliff (safe fall mitigated the damage). To this day, he remembers me scaring the crap out of him on that cliff, and certainly owes his character's life to safe fall. 

:D

• 2886 posts
    December 21, 2016 12:31 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Not forgetting they stated that rogues will have a "rope".    Hope they still allow casters to cast levitate...solo and group.  

Yes but with basically no details about how ropes will work, we have no idea how useful (or useless) they will be. I actually kinda hope that it's not just Rogues that can use ropes. Why would that be the case? Maybe there should be a knot-tying skill to which Rogues have a natural bonus. But in my mind, pretty much everyone is capable of having a freaking rope. A 50-ft rope is an absolute staple of tabletop DnD starting kits. That way there is more of a market for ropes of different materials and strengths. Might as well just make ropes craftable.

I am undecided about levitate in Pantheon. I feel like it kinda contradicts their idea of making it not possible to easily skip over large amounts of content. But I still think it is a very cool spell and depending on how they build the world, it could be a great tool in certain circumstances but not a crutch to cruise over areas risk-free. And back on topic, it also pretty much makes it so that you never have to watch where you step. It pretty much instantly removes a ton of danger. We shall see...

• 3016 posts
    December 21, 2016 12:52 PM PST

Also in Vanguard ..if you got stuck in the terrain,  people could /rope (think that was the command) to pull you out,  could do that to yourself if I remember right.   Saved the GMs having to come port you out.    Casters could most times port themselves out.

• 9115 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:14 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Also in Vanguard ..if you got stuck in the terrain,  people could /rope (think that was the command) to pull you out,  could do that to yourself if I remember right.   Saved the GMs having to come port you out.    Casters could most times port themselves out.

Plus we had the command /stuck yes which was essentially a 60-second wait to evac if you were all alone and didn't have lev, evac or anyone around to /rope you :)

• 188 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:23 PM PST

Man, those early days of Vanguard.... had /stuck leveled the same way Sense Heading used to in EverQuest, I would have hit a 200/200 cap within about the first month.

• 9115 posts
    December 22, 2016 1:01 AM PST

Hannar said:

Man, those early days of Vanguard.... had /stuck leveled the same way Sense Heading used to in EverQuest, I would have hit a 200/200 cap within about the first month.

uh huh, I hear you man ;)

• 610 posts
    December 22, 2016 2:29 PM PST

Nikademis said:

Frankly, the whole premise has always seemed absurd to me.  You get better at falling from high places?  Seriously?  The most ridiculous thing is watching someone repeatedly climb a structure to jump off to level safe fall.  I've disliked it from the start.  You fall, you take damage.  Done.

never seen parkour? those people can fall and land from heights that would break my bones

• 1618 posts
    December 22, 2016 5:10 PM PST

Should be useful in Amberfaet.

• 363 posts
    December 23, 2016 12:25 AM PST
    I'd like to see it improved upon.