Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Gaming Rig Specs and SLI

• 63 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:17 AM PDT

It's been about 8 years since I've built a gaming PC, and with Panth getting closer to alpha I'm starting to frequent my old stomping grounds, Newegg, reacquainting myself with hardware and how much its changed over the years. I'm an enthusiast; I love overclocking and squeezing all of the juice out of a machine for maximum output while working within a budget. The last gaming rig I built was a badass little MicroATX form factor while in college. I could tote that little guy back and forth from the dorm and it performed wonderfully. My youngest brother is still using it today, 8 years later, for WoW and LoL.

I'm wondering what you guys will be using to play Panth and if anyone's interested in posting their specs. 8 years ago, SLI was more of a novelty and wasn't fully supported by most modern titles. For those who don't know, SLI is "scalable link interface" and allows two or more graphics cards to work together to provide the highest resolutions and frame rates possible. It's become much more popular with the onset of VR since one video card would render what one eye sees and the second card the other.

Does anyone know if Panth will support SLI? If so, here's the build I'm leaning towards:

• Processor: Intel Core-i7 Skylake 8M Quad Core 4.0
    • Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 board
    • GPU: MSI GTX 980TI x2 (SLI)
    • Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 16GB
    • HDD: Samsung M.2 512gb
    • PSU: EVGA 850W 80 Plus Gold SLI
    • Case: Thermaltake X31 RBG edition
    • Cooling: Corsair CPU and GPU closed-loop liquid cooling

This setup would last 3-4 years as long as big titles continue to support SLI. It's fairly future proof, though I may want to increase the wattage on the PSU to accommodate the next generation of GPU's.

What will you be playing Panth on??

Talv

• 148 posts
    April 25, 2016 11:16 AM PDT

I may upgrade my video card but that would be about it (currently have a GTX760). Most Unity titles I've played run perfectly on my system at max settings. As far as a multi-gpu setup goes I find them to be more hassle than needed. They're fine when the game supports them, but for games that don't they cripple your performance unless you shut one off.

• 63 posts
    April 25, 2016 1:16 PM PDT

Yeah, you're probably right. The 980TI is one of the best cards on the market. I'm thinking one of them can handle the game just fine.

• 271 posts
    April 25, 2016 1:47 PM PDT

What's wrong with this (existing) thread exactly? Why a second one? :)

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3155/are-you-a-brand-fanboy-fangirl-post-your-specs

• 63 posts
    April 25, 2016 3:15 PM PDT

Thanks, Aenra. I did a keyword search before posting this one but nothing showed up. Given the name of that post, I can see why.

Kilsin, feel free to nuke this one.

Talv

• 563 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:54 PM PDT

If you're cabable of waiting (I mean if your current build still runs fine for you), I'd personally wait until at least the new tech comes out later this year (especially for pascal GPU's), I won't even be thinking about building a new rig until just before pantheon hits to get the latest releases/versions of hardware.

ps: I did name that thread rather poorly in retrospect :S

This post was edited by Rachael at April 25, 2016 5:55 PM PDT
    • 384 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:18 PM PDT

Rachael said:

If you're cabable of waiting (I mean if your current build still runs fine for you), I'd personally wait until at least the new tech comes out later this year (especially for pascal GPU's), I won't even be thinking about building a new rig until just before pantheon hits to get the latest releases/versions of hardware.

That's my plan. I really wanna upgrade now but it makes so much more sense to wait til we are closer to release. We don't even have a firm date. There's no telling how your options will change by that time. At the least, your current selections should be cheaper.

• 1468 posts
    April 25, 2016 7:54 PM PDT

I'd hold off on upgrading especially as new AMD and Nvidia GPUs are due out reasonably soon. The 980Ti will soon be replaced with something better. Unless you really need a new system now then waiting will be the best bet. I'm not going to upgrade my system until next year now even though I thought about upgrading around about now. It just doesn't make sense in the long run and if I wait for Skylake-E I get new motherboard technology which will help keep the system current for longer.

I used to have an AMD crossfire system which is the AMD equivalent of SLI and it was nothing but a pain in the arse. I'd rather spend the money on a single much more powerful card than 2 less powerful cards. You could get a Titan X for that price. But its up to you.

• 613 posts
    April 28, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

Here is what I am running and it should be good to go for years to come. 

Used Talvaris's format

o Processor: Intel Core-i7 Skylake 8M Quad Core 4.0
    o Mobo: ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero
    o GPU: ASUS DirectoCU II GTX 770 4GB x 2 SLI
    o Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666 32GB
    o HDD: Samsung M.2 512gb
    o PSU: Corsair AXI 1200i
    o Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T
    o Cooling: Corsair H110i

I typically build heavier than needed and have room to grow yet. New cards for sure and I have power there for them. So far no issues with any games I play. Landmark is the only game this machine sees excessive issues with and that is due to zero optimization for that game. So far it’s a beast and 6700k is solid.

I think this will run Pantheon with no issues......I am sure one or two will pop up during Alpha and release.  LOL

Ox