Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

UNITY 5 HELP

• 144 posts
    April 15, 2016 6:20 PM PDT

I know alot of people have dabled in Unity over t he past almost 2 years.  The one thing that still eludes me:

HOW DO YOU CUT HOLES IN TERRAIN to make caves and such.  Most forums are vaque at best.  Even youtube videos fall short.

Is it an editor extension?

Is it a script of some kind?

Any answer is a better answer than I have found thus far.

~Chaam

• 163 posts
    April 15, 2016 6:34 PM PDT
    I don't think it can really be done efficiently. I've seen one example of what you're asking to be done with really advanced shaders, but I've never seen it in person and I don't know the extent of its abilities.

The unity terrain mesh is designed to be manipulated vertically and not hortizontally.

3D assets are what you need, sir!
    • 671 posts
    April 15, 2016 8:09 PM PDT

I am saddened.. I had hoped to get real involved with Unity, but instead I plan to pay a few friends to do my creative bidding... as my time is extremely limited. 

For holes...? 

I think you might be able to get away with just creating whatever you want behind the wall/terrain, and just using a value for the opening to be transparent, and/or physically passible..

This post was edited by Hieromonk at April 15, 2016 8:10 PM PDT
    • 144 posts
    April 16, 2016 5:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the  insight.

I will try a couple of things with these ideas

~Chaam

• 263 posts
    April 25, 2016 3:18 AM PDT

Thats a good question as i am messing around with the Unity5 Engine also. I do not know if you have found a way yet, but one general idea is to level your terrain to be say 150m in height and then design the entrance and area where you want the cave/cavern/dungeon to be placed generally and then place a second terrain ontop. I know its not ideal. But as you said its hard to find good videos about this.

This post was edited by Yarnila at April 25, 2016 3:18 AM PDT