Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

EQ funny stories.

• 68 posts
    October 18, 2015 4:01 PM PDT

Hi,

Searched but, didn't find anything like this.

I'll start with an actual incident with my Paladin Griffbane. 

I played Dungeons and Dragons and loved it. When EQ came out I bought it just as a whim. I was playing Quake at the time.

I get the game installed and run around Freeport. The few days to come I leveled and learned to run!! At level 10 I met a real life couple that were retired, and we became a regular group.

So I had read the manual that came with the game, and it said you should camp out someplace safe like a town. 

Our little group killed and grew together until we were in South Ro. We were having a blast! 

So every night when we got ready to log I'd ask if the couple could help me get back to Freeport They were extremely nice , and either the husband or wife would take me. 

After a few nights of this the husband asked me " Griffbane why do you have to go back to town every night ?"

I tell them because " The game Manuel says you should camp out some place safe  a town".

I don't know if they were laughing or cussing me but, we stood still quite some time before they explained. "Griffbane.... they mean not to camp out where monsters path or the middle of a camp. 

That was the beginning of a lot of great times and funny happenings. 

How bout you all? 

This post was edited by Griffbane at October 18, 2015 4:06 PM PDT
    • 409 posts
    October 22, 2015 10:53 AM PDT

Lost a corpse in LFay to the brownie scouts. OK, everyone got smoked by those suckers at some point, but the reason I lost the corpse (several actually) was because I had no idea you could drag a corpse, and had to loot it where it dropped. So I kept running to my corpse and looting, hoping to finish before the brownie scouts noticed me, and I kept getting killed. I eventually gave up on those corpses, went and got all new gear (was only like level 14 or so at the time), and mayeb two weeks later, learned about corpse dragging.

This post was edited by Venjenz at October 22, 2015 10:54 AM PDT
    • 68 posts
    October 22, 2015 11:30 AM PDT

DOH!

The corpse runs though really got my pulse up. Worse ever was to Kedge Keep. Lost lvl 47,46 before it was all said and done!

• 409 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:19 PM PDT

Griffbane said:

DOH!

The corpse runs though really got my pulse up. Worse ever was to Kedge Keep. Lost lvl 47,46 before it was all said and done!

Take away the z-pathing issues, and Kedge is the coolest dungeon in MMO history.

Just a shout out to the vanilla EQ1 team there.

• 999 posts
    October 22, 2015 2:00 PM PDT

I have tons of fond memories from EQ, but one of the funniest that my RL brother and I always talk and still laugh about today is a Dwarf Rogue we used to group with in Unrest, who, attempted to /sneak to pull from the Unrest basement with throwing daggers.  We were one of the first groups who could pull from the basment, so we didn't know what to expect.  Moments later... we were standing by the front doors of the Mansion and saw the entire basement coming, including the terrors (he didn't know about the secret wall), with him /shouting TRAIN TO ZONE!!! DWARVES and CHILDREN first.  And, in the middle of the train, we see the him jumping doing the dwarf roll and summersault mid-air as he got Dark Terror Blasted about 100 feet with a Hag cast and he was killed-mid jump and dropped near the hedges, and we were laughing so hard that we didn't even care that we also got smoked by the train.

Which... leads me to the gameplay mehanic that I hope Pantheon has - EQesque trains - some great memories from them.

This post was edited by Raidan at October 22, 2015 2:02 PM PDT
    • 51 posts
    October 23, 2015 7:32 PM PDT

Bound in Highkeep.  KoS to guards.  Got attacked before camping, but had already left PC.  The next day I was 17 levels lower and rez timer had worn off on most.  

maybe that is more sad than funny?

• 68 posts
    October 25, 2015 1:51 PM PDT

ROFL

That made me spew my beer out of my nose!!

blockquote]Raidan said:

I have tons of fond memories from EQ, but one of the funniest that my RL brother and I always talk and still laugh about today is a Dwarf Rogue we used to group with in Unrest, who, attempted to /sneak to pull from the Unrest basement with throwing daggers.  We were one of the first groups who could pull from the basment, so we didn't know what to expect.  Moments later... we were standing by the front doors of the Mansion and saw the entire basement coming, including the terrors (he didn't know about the secret wall), with him /shouting TRAIN TO ZONE!!! DWARVES and CHILDREN first.  And, in the middle of the train, we see the him jumping doing the dwarf roll and summersault mid-air as he got Dark Terror Blasted about 100 feet with a Hag cast and he was killed-mid jump and dropped near the hedges, and we were laughing so hard that we didn't even care that we also got smoked by the train.

Which... leads me to the gameplay mehanic that I hope Pantheon has - EQesque trains - some great memories from them.

• 17 posts
    November 15, 2015 5:24 PM PST

My friends and I were on Sullon Zek and the ruleset there was you could loot one item off a corpse if you got the kill. So two of my buddies and I all made troll shadow knights, and leveled up to level 10. We made the long run to Icewell keep in order to scavenge some of the Royal Velium Frosted armor that dropped there. It was no drop so it made for good armor on the server since no one could loot it from you. And the higher level people there were just letting it rot for the most part. We all got our armor and high tailed it off to Freeport, then waited in the safety of the town. After we were ready we would then run out into EC and pick a target and all three of us would run up and harm touch him or her at the same time, grab an item and skedaddle back to town to wait 72 minutes for harm touch to recharge in safety. Jerk move? Yes, but it was pretty fun.

• 668 posts
    November 15, 2015 6:41 PM PST

So many in 9 years of playing....

Well a memory I will never forget is, I first started with a human warrior and eventually made my way to West Commonlands and was fighting Black Bears.  Well soon night set in and I would go camp by the guard house in between.  I remember that I was fairly confident and made my way out past the northwestern lake, nervous as hell because I could not see hardly anything.  Out of no where, this BIG ARSE scary Creature, pounding the ground like thunder was on top of me.  The loud "Oooohhhwaaa" yell it made made me pee my pants.  First experience with a Hill Giant in the game.  Never seen one before this.  Needless to say I was dead in seconds.  I had to make my way back in the dark, naked, cannot see anything the entire way.  I remember my nerves were on high alert.  When I finally made my way back to the guard house in W Commonlands, I could not find my damn corpse.  I know I died a few times trying to find it, bears hated me and I had no gear.  When I did find it, I remember looting ASAP (did not know about dragging), and ran to the safetly of the houses over by the guards.  I sat on the floor and let out a big sigh, few I am finally safe..!

LOADING PLEASE WAIT....  You have been killed by Dragoon Zyt!  Damn I was mad and said "XXXX this game"!!!  Well I got over it because I played for 9 years :)

Another moment I will never forget is a ran into Befallen around lvl 19 to get my keys, found out you could get the set there and I thought that was pretty neat.  As I ran in, there was a higher level druid camping at the front.  I asked what they were doing and they said they were trying to get a drop for Paw of Opolla and had been camping there over 8 hours.  I was like 8 hours???  That is stupid, thinking to my self and said good luck.  After 10 minutes the druid said they have to leave and would be back in 30 minutes if I could hold their spot.  I said sure, not really knowing what the hell I was doing.  Literally 5 minutes after the druid left, I was attacked by Gynok Moltor, the named mob that drops platinum ring LOL.  So I managed to barely finish him off, almost died, and held onto the ring.  Eventually the druid came back and I told them I had the ring for them.  Of course they though I was joking but said here, did the trade.  They slipped in 1k plat and said for my efforts.  You have to understand, 1k plat back then was enough to go to East Commons tunnels and buy some nice gear.  I remember that REALLY was a major deal and got me rolling along.  Will never forget the lucky timing of that and the nice person for tipping me.  We ended up being in the same guild for years.

Pyye