Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Brass Taxes

• 144 posts
    September 12, 2015 10:53 AM PDT

So team.  What is your feelings on the way the economy will work and the denominations of the coin?  Copper, Silver, Gold ?  Copper, Silver, Gold and Platinum?

Will there be undistorted ways to earn money via farming or otherwise?

Which type if any market system in game will we be using?

Has any of the questions been addressed in this early stage of the game?

• 51 posts
    September 12, 2015 12:25 PM PDT

I don't really care what the standard currency is. Gold and platinum are both familiar, but just about anything you use as currency translates easily if they use simple denominations like 1 gold = 10 silver = 100 copper. They could make it more "realistic" (like 1 gold = 25 silver) but what would be the advantage of that?

I certainly hope they go back to the old trade hub method where players auction their own goods. Auction houses are so impersonal and tend to make prices fluctuate all over the place. When players directly control the market prices tend to be more stable and adjust naturally to supply and demand. The downside however is if you're buying or selling stuff you have to make time for it rather than simply visiting the AH for a few minutes. I think it's a fair trade-off and I prefer having no AH. At the very least it creates a place where people gather, which is a good thing imo.

• 158 posts
    September 12, 2015 3:59 PM PDT

I am not the team obviously, just going to share my thoughts on the currency thing though.

I tend to favor just a single currency ( ex: gold or gil) rather than the copper -> silver -> gold -> platinum type system. It just seems like a kindof needless bunch of brackets. Having said that it really won't make much of a difference to me either way.

This post was edited by Mephiles at September 12, 2015 3:59 PM PDT
    • 41 posts
    September 12, 2015 5:14 PM PDT
    Chaam said:

So team.  What is your feelings on the way the economy will work and the denominations of the coin?  Copper, Silver, Gold ?  Copper, Silver, Gold and Platinum?

Will there be undistorted ways to earn money via farming or otherwise?

Which type if any market system in game will we be using?

Has any of the questions been addressed in this early stage of the game?

Before I address the main question, I would like to state that I hope coin "weighs" something.  In EverQuest 1, I had to make decisions quite often to either destroy lower currencies or keep it with me --- At the expense of my run speed and agility.  It was just another factor that added to the "danger" and "risk vs reward" factor.  It also flavors quests --- For example, JBoots quest requiring 3250 gold... which weighed you down.. to chase a NPC that ran fast... Some NPC's also asked for different currency types --- It added to immersion.  Not everyone just wanted "platinum".  Sometimes you had to buy information for silver... sometimes some NPC's wanted gold.  Many times I would run through a low level city and just find someone asking for money --- I'd deposit those lesser coins into their hand and move on.

With that being said, I would prefer at least three currencies (Copper, Silver, Gold) to still keep the reasons I listed above alive.

This post was edited by Silvanoshi at September 15, 2015 2:54 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    September 13, 2015 3:11 PM PDT
    Silvanoshi said:
    I hope coin "weighs" something.  In EverQuest 1, I had to make decisions quite often to either destroy lower currencies or keep it with me --- At the expense of my run speed and agility.  It was just another factor that added to the "danger" and "risk vs reward" factor.  It also flavors quests --- For example, JBoots quest requiring 3250 gold... which weighed you down.. to chase a NPC that ran fast... Some NPC's also asked for different currency types --- It added to immersion.  Not everyone just wanted "platinum".  Sometimes you had to buy information for silver... sometimes some NPC's wanted gold.  Many times I would run through a low level city and just find someone asking for money --- I'd deposit those lesser coins into their hand and move on.

With that being said, I would prefer at least three currencies (Copper, Silver, Gold) to still keep the reasons I listed above alive.

I agree with this 100%!  :)

• 43 posts
    September 14, 2015 4:02 AM PDT

Now I know many folks won't like what I say, but this is how I feel about money in game.

I've seen it in every game through the years I've played money eventually becomes worthless where everyone ends up having millions and millions of gold with nothing to spend it on. Every new game I try I always think the same thing why don't the devs do something about the issue of money becoming worthless from the very start of the game.

If I was making the game my proposal would be along the lines of this:

3 different coins, copper,silver,gold

10k copper = 1 silver

1k silver = 1 gold

Coins have weight which means you can only move small amount of currency at once.

In your bank interface you can exchange lower coins for higher coins, but with a straight 15% exchange fee(for the short on time/lazy folks). Every bank location will also have a currency exchange vendor nearby that will do coin exchanges for free for those frugal folks. The currency vendors will have a chaptha(sp) function to discourage botters.

Almost all mobs except some humanoid mobs will not drop coins, because really what mobs really have a use for coins anyways. Instead of coins most mobs would drop different type of items that they players can sell for small amounts of copper coins at certain vendors or for miscellaneous items. I would love to be able to loot a couple of pigs or cows from a mob camp and bring them to town to trade to a butcher for items to use in food/herbalist crafting. 

In certain cities there would be a bazaar area with exchange vendors. For example blacksmiths that may take weapons from players that they melt down in return for metal bars that players could use for crafting. Farmers that may trade seeds that players loot for herbs/food items. Tailors that would trade hides for different type of hides or bolts of cloth. Jewelers  that will only sell their jewelry for different stacks of gems the players loot.

Why should every npc want gold in return for the goods/services? Sure it is more difficult to code this into the game. Yes it does make selling off loot more cumbersome, but I think it adds more to immersion.

I would much rather see a player that's been at lvl cap for a year be very rich with 200 gold in their bank then the normal every day MMO where every player is running around with 1 billion gold in their bank and nothing to spend it on.

When it comes to large amount of coins being dropped as loot I view it in the same way as players in most MMOs doing 100k dps. Why???

Why do devs think everything has to be about larger and larger numbers? Main reason I see is because no one ever learns and to keep numbers small from the get go. It would be such a breath of fresh air where a max level raid of 20 players were doing 2k dps as a whole with the raid boss having only 40k health. Instead of the usual 489 billion health raid boss and the raid group has a dps of 239 million.