Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Bring characters to life

• 106 posts
    April 17, 2015 12:04 AM PDT

To me the thing that brings an NPC or another player character to life the most is coming face to face with them. So i propose that when you right click or hail an npc or engage in a trade with another character your view should default to first person to bring them face to face with you. Old school rpg games did this when you where in trade or chat with an npc, a closeup mugshot of the npc would appear giving you a sense of being face to face.As well with when you die you should also go face to face with your opponent and face to face with death.

This post was edited by munge at April 18, 2015 7:53 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 17, 2015 6:37 AM PDT

This adds to the immersion a lot, I agree mate. I found a really cool mod for Skyrim that forced a close up every time you interacted with an Npc kind of like how it was in Morrowind, it makes a huge difference that's for sure.

• 308 posts
    April 17, 2015 6:53 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

This adds to the immersion a lot, I agree mate. 

This type of mechanic adding immersion is subjective, personally i find this kind of mechanic to be very annoying.  If i chose to play in 3rd person view, i don't want to be forced into first person.

• 25 posts
    April 17, 2015 6:54 AM PDT

Yeah, to me it's immersion breaking when something or someone takes control of the camera away from me. 

• April 17, 2015 7:03 AM PDT

I'm in first person almost 100% of the time.

• 999 posts
    April 17, 2015 7:35 AM PDT

I see the argument on both sides; not so much due to it being immersion breaking switching from 3rd to 1st, but I could see where some people like the 3rd person view to watch for mob agro, etc and/or just don't want to see their perspectives changing frequently.

Perhaps like most UI features just have it as a toggle option.  I'm with Bloodbeard, as long as I'm not penalized for playing in first person view - I will be.

• 112 posts
    April 17, 2015 9:30 AM PDT

Personally I loved the effect first person had on the game world.  But I am also well aware that it makes some things more difficult, which is why I played 3rd person whenever able to since EQ.  I'm not sure I could play 1st person again (even knowing it is for the best, for my experience) unless it was forced upon me. 

I kinda wish there was the option to switch between the two but on a required timer? Like for a week etc.

• 9115 posts
    April 17, 2015 9:41 AM PDT
    Reht said:
    Kilsin said:

This type of mechanic adding immersion is subjective, personally i find this kind of mechanic to be very annoying.  If i chose to play in 3rd person view, i don't want to be forced into first person.

Absolutely, that was my personal opinion not a general statement, I should have put my usual "personally I like..." tag in ;)

It's not for everyone, there are tons of people who only like 3rd person, tons who only like 1st person and many who like both depending on the situation (I personally like both depending on what I am doing and where I am).

Pantheon isn't about forcing anyone to do anything, I think you will find for the most part whenever there is an idea put forward it will be for a toggle or player selected feature that can be ignored if you don't like it.

• 83 posts
    April 17, 2015 9:18 PM PDT

Oh this would be a sweet thing to have as a toggable thing, perhaps even key bindable ?

Wonder if i can add able to anymore words in this post-able ^_^.

• 288 posts
    April 19, 2015 5:44 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    Reht said:
    Kilsin said:

Absolutely, that was my personal opinion not a general statement, I should have put my usual "personally I like..." tag in ;)

It's not for everyone, there are tons of people who only like 3rd person, tons who only like 1st person and many who like both depending on the situation (I personally like both depending on what I am doing and where I am).

Pantheon isn't about forcing anyone to do anything, I think you will find for the most part whenever there is an idea put forward it will be for a toggle or player selected feature that can be ignored if you don't like it.

Totally agree with all of this, I love 3rd person but I also love when there are times where 1st person is actually very valuable and useful.

I would love to see a toggle option for face-to-face transactions with merchants and players alike!

• April 20, 2015 5:59 AM PDT

It will probably be mouse-control.   Using mouse wheels instead of keys allows for extremely adjustable distances for personal preference.