Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Dallas area questions..

• 208 posts
    March 24, 2015 6:19 AM PDT

Hiyas folks!  I am coming into Dallas area in the next few days for a training conference and I have some basic questions.  I am hoping that someone on here actually lives in Dallas and can give me a heads up on places/areas to stay away from, things not to do while there and other cultural/regional information that most outsiders would not know about...  So please community at large help a fellow gamer out and share the wealth of Knowledge you have :)  Much appreciated for the info and help :)

• 12 posts
    March 24, 2015 11:37 AM PDT
    Sogotp said:

Hiyas folks!  I am coming into Dallas area in the next few days for a training conference and I have some basic questions.  I am hoping that someone on here actually lives in Dallas and can give me a heads up on places/areas to stay away from, things not to do while there and other cultural/regional information that most outsiders would not know about...  So please community at large help a fellow gamer out and share the wealth of Knowledge you have :)  Much appreciated for the info and help :)

I used to live in Dallas. I'd stay away from south Dallas (Oak Cliff, Fair Park, south of downtown, etc) after dark. If you're looking for bars or restaurants, lower Greenville just northeast of downtown has a pretty lively scene going. Twisted Root has really good burgers, featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. My personal favorite place from back in my childhood was Burger House. The burgers were OK, but the fries were what I really loved. I think they were up in Richardson the last time I was in town.

As for cultural stuff to do, there's the JFK museum in the school book depository at Dealey Plaza. Check out the grassy knoll. The Dallas Holocaust Museum is a bit dark, but very educational. The revolving bar/restaurant in Reunion Tower is kinda cool to get a drink at and the observation deck gives a nice view of the area. If you like movies on big screens there's an Omni theater in Ft. Worth at the Ft. Worth Museum of Science and History. It's basically an Imax on a dome instead of curved screen. Very strange having a movie all the way to your peripheral vision. There's Six Flags if you like amusement parks. 

There's a lot more to do and see and eat, but I can't think of them at the moment.

• 208 posts
    March 24, 2015 2:32 PM PDT

Thanks Syn!  I will be staying between the International Airport and Love field.  Most of my time will be spent at the convention center doing "training" but I am trying to make sure that I will not be in a bad part of town and if there are any clubs or other notorious get together places to avoid..

• 378 posts
    March 24, 2015 4:06 PM PDT

I want to see a vid of you standing on the grassy knoll screaming out " I did it, I did it" 

• 12 posts
    March 25, 2015 2:49 PM PDT
    Sogotp said:

Thanks Syn!  I will be staying between the International Airport and Love field.  Most of my time will be spent at the convention center doing "training" but I am trying to make sure that I will not be in a bad part of town and if there are any clubs or other notorious get together places to avoid..

Mostly common sense, if the area looks run-down, you'll want to steer clear, and stay in well-lit areas after dark. The cops patrol downtown pretty heavily so it's not bad. I lived there off an on for about 20 years total and never had to deal with crime beside having my bike stolen from the garage when I was 6.