Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

The magic of rebounding.

• 453 posts
    March 1, 2015 5:56 AM PST

No, I'm not talking about basketball LOL I'm referring to the exercise that has become known as rebounding which is simply jumping on a mini-trampoline. These things have been around for a long time and became a fad in the 70s and 80s and many low quality rebounders were selling like hotcakes. Then the fad died. Since then it has steadily been making a comeback, except now there are high quality rebounders available which are super gentle on the joints, silent, and feel like jumping on air.

Why am I bringing this topic up and what makes it so magical ? Well, besides being super fun to jump around like a kid, easy on the joints and being a very effective way to condition the entire body, the real magic to me is the effect that is has on the body's lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is something you rarely hear  about, and yet it's importance is becoming more and more realized . There is a network of lymph vessels that run through your body often in tandem with your blood vessels, and there is around 3 times more lymph fluid in your body than there is blood. Hard to believe!

The thing is, your blood has your heart and one way valves to keep your blood circulating throughout your body. The lymphatic system for the most part requires movement for its circulation. The more you move your body the more it is circulated. Why should you care about this ? Because the lymph is responsible for a ton of important functions such as your immune system and removing  many kinds of metabolic waste. Enter rebounding. Rebounding, because of the G forces that effect the body while doing it, is easily the number one exercise for your immune system and for the circulation of lymph. NASA even did research on rebounding and its effects on the body and their findings back up everything I have been saying. 

You really get what you pay for with a rebounder. The cheaper ones are much harder on the body and aren't nearly as fun to use. If it's under 200 bucks it's probably not worth using. I have a ton of fun jumping on my 44 inch Bellicon every day after work. After just 20 minutes I get off of it and my whole body is tingling in a really cool way and my senses and mind feel sharper. This topic has already become long winded so let me end by leaving you with a few links ;)

http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/rebounding/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312397/

https://www.bellicon-usa.com

I love the youtube rebounding workouts by this lady, she has a ton of them. Look at her, can you believe she is in her 50s !?!? : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-0uNoFGEW4

The exact model and colors of the one I use is in this video. These are the best 2 rebounders IMHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yPGrfoMlYg

bellicon

This post was edited by Jason at March 1, 2015 6:09 PM PST
    • 753 posts
    March 1, 2015 7:09 AM PST

Speaking of welcome rebounds... Welcome back :) 

• 453 posts
    March 1, 2015 7:24 AM PST

LOL thanks ;) 

• 39 posts
    March 1, 2015 9:22 AM PST

Well, good to hear there is some science behind this silliness! ;P  I mean no offense, but I've seen some pretty hilarious videos of people jumping around to music.

• 3016 posts
    March 1, 2015 1:15 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

Indeed happy to see you back, Jason. :)

• 3016 posts
    March 1, 2015 1:16 PM PST

I saw someone break their neck falling the wrong way off a trampoline (in high school...spotter wasn't paying attention.)    How safe are these rebounders?

• 318 posts
    March 1, 2015 1:40 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

I saw someone break their neck falling the wrong way off a trampoline (in high school...spotter wasn't paying attention.)    How safe are these rebounders?

I'd say they're as safe as the person using them. People can hurt themselves doing anything. For example, that youtube video of the lady who fell stomping grapes at a vineyard...

• 154 posts
    March 1, 2015 1:48 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

Yeah my little sister did power tumbling including tramp. I always refused to spot because I didn't know what I was doing but at one of the competitions a kid broke his neck when a spotter was just a couple feet to close and the kid went over his head into a concrete floor. The rest of the events were pretty sober that year.

• 154 posts
    March 1, 2015 1:49 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

Want to echo Wandidar. Its good to see you around again, can't wait to discuss the new round table with you tomorrow.

• 671 posts
    March 1, 2015 6:19 PM PST

Thanks You Jason, I have one on Order...

I knew there was something missing in my workout room.

• 753 posts
    March 1, 2015 7:07 PM PST

I could never get one of these...  8 foot ceilings, 6'2" me... add trampoline, end up with hole in the ceiling (or my head).