Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Important Stuff....

• 144 posts
    January 15, 2015 8:45 AM PST

Lets get to some of the important stuff.  I understand if you can not answer some of the things listed below.  However I am also perfectly ok with the dev's saying that's none of your business or something is not ready.  I also am ok with the we are working on that but not ready to talk about it.

So if the Dev's/Mod's cant answer then we can make up our own answers on how we feel things should go.  That sounds more fun anyway.

Quest's

In the questing process is it going to be a search to find quests type system or will there be the bread crumb type questing that leads you to the area you should be in?  Will there be enough quests to level your toon or will there be grinding involved to catch up your level to open up or progress on to the next set of quests?

Quest Armor/weapons

Will there be dropped or quested armor to help through the lower levels of questing or even basic merchant bought armor and weapons?  I remember as a young Shaman in VG just starting out in Halgrad at level 1 and a level 2 moth kicked the snot out of me.  Keep in mind that was at launch when the game played as it was intended to.  It was rough, but it was fun at the same time.  After getting 1 or 2 pieces of dropped armor I was better able to move on.  Omg and the music there in Taheans vengeance  was over the top.  I would sit down to play and some hours later I would be omg its dark outside

Mounts/Movememt

Every game starts out slow and it seems the first big achievement of any game is getting that first mount and then maybe a saddle and shoes to make it a tad faster.  What level is the current plan if any for mounts and can you PLEASE for  "F" sakes leave the over the top fluff type mounts out of the game.  I really don't need a flying turtle.

One of the not so mentioned facts about VG that people sometimes forget until you play another game or have a flash back memory was the ability to open doors almost everywhere.  First time I was in New targanor and clicked on a door and it said it was locked it became a mission to check them all.  Well if anyone remembers NT you will understand when I say that took the better part of all day.

Joppa, this my friend is probably directed at you but not in a bad way.  Music is probably the single most important thing in a game and it defines certain area's. Like going in to Leth Nurea or Wardship of the Sleeping Moon or Elani's.  The soothing comfort of the music keep you playing that game for hours.  But equally important was the music of the undead.  Going in to Greystone for the first time or Hillsbury Mansion.  Maybe even Old Targanor they were all awesomely spooky and when you got in combat it was a whole new world.

It is my thought that Vangaurd saga of Hero's is to this day the best designed and fun to play MMO that I ever came across.  I am a little Bias because it was my first MMO however not the last.  I tried everything that released I think after that from Warhammer/AOC/Rift/GW2/Diablo etc.

I also still have all the music from VG and in all of my fan video's and such that is the tracks added.

How is PANTHEON going to bring us back to these times?  Because I really look forward to raiding a dungeon for hours and looking over at the window and saying OMG the sun is coming up.

~Chaam

edited for typo

This post was edited by Chaam at January 16, 2015 2:05 AM PST
    • 595 posts
    January 15, 2015 9:11 AM PST

I won't comment on every point you have made, but I agree wholeheartedly that Vanguard's music is the best of any game and was a HUGE component in immersion.  I created a thread some time ago with a link to much of the VG music on YouTube, and I have referenced the music in several other posts as well.  Joppa knows how I feel, not only about VG music, but the direction he is going with in his own compositions.  I have complete faith in his work and I can't wait to hear more!

• 144 posts
    January 15, 2015 9:23 AM PST

VG music and Composer was best of the time.  I agree totally and think Joppa is the music of today (no pressure).  The music in Pantheon no doubt will be first class.

• 378 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:38 AM PST
    Chaam said:

Joppa, this my friend is probably directed at you but not in a bad way.  Music is probably the single most important thing in a game and it defines certain area's. Like going in to Leth Nurea or Wardship of the Sleeping Moon or Elani's.  The soothing comfort of the music keep you playing that game for hours.  But equally important was the music of the undead.  Going in to Greystone for the first time or Hillsbury Mansion.  Maybe even Old Targanor they were all awesomely spooky and when you got in combat it was a whole new world.

I agree Music can make a game so much more of an experience, I loved VG's music score.

Joppa, my wife is not a gamer at all but every time i watch a Pantheon vid with some of your music in it she has to come over and comment on how lovely the music to it is, Keep up the good work.  

• 453 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:53 AM PST

VG's and EQ's music were definitely the best of any games I have played and made immersion much more enjoyable. Having complex songs doesn't always equal better either, look at EQ's music from Gfay/Kelethin which was very simple yet somehow perfect : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKtPUcmu9kI&list=PL1D8D8720FC337B61

• 9115 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:20 PM PST

Good topic Chaam.

I can tell you that Brad is working on quests now and is doing great work but of course I cannot go into details as it is still very early on in the process.

I can't speak to Mounts or Quest Armour though, maybe another team member can comment on what they would like to see.

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 15, 2015 5:39 PM PST

Well how could 'thank you' ever be enough to words such as these? Seriously, I am very humbled and extremely honored.

I will say this: no matter how my position with VRI and the Pantheon Team grows and changes, at the heart of all of it is my dream of composing music that is part of creating a world and helping people experience it as deeply as they can. My role as composer for Pantheon I hold in the highest regard, and I can't thank you all enough for believing in me and supporting me in the challenging and thrilling journey of writing every note. 

Many, many thanks, friends. I hope to share more music soon!

• 144 posts
    January 15, 2015 6:10 PM PST

Awesome Joppa and Kilsin,

Honest answers are always best.  Most of the people here are over 21 and to hear something like I can tell you that at this point just means we hear you but are not ready to release that.  If VG would of did more of that it would have went along ways.

As far as everything else.  I am more excited about this game now than when it was announced in KS

• 671 posts
    January 16, 2015 2:10 PM PST
    Joppa said:

Well how could 'thank you' ever be enough to words such as these? Seriously, I am very humbled and extremely honored.

I will say this: no matter how my position with VRI and the Pantheon Team grows and changes, at the heart of all of it is my dream of composing music that is part of creating a world and helping people experience it as deeply as they can. My role as composer for Pantheon I hold in the highest regard, and I can't thank you all enough for believing in me and supporting me in the challenging and thrilling journey of writing every note. 

Many, many thanks, friends. I hope to share more music soon!

I have a Moog that I sometimes find the right frequency and just let it reverb and ebb & bob while I do laundry/Clean house...   then add in a Theremin and you have some phun. I got some extremely eerie sounds, and some incredible high-cadence backtones.

• January 16, 2015 4:19 PM PST

Ok, back story on VG music. When Sogo and I were expecting our first child, we were playing in beta of VG. I have always turned my speakers off while playing, but not Sogo. Now we were in the same room. He at his desk, me on the bed sitting up, pregnant, computer in my lap. After 20 minutes of game time he is getting up walking over to me and getting the laptop off my lap. This wakes me up. When I ask his what he is doing he says, "Hun, VG music put you to sleep...Again."

I don't know what it was about VG's music, but every time it came through the speakers I was out like a light within 15-20 mins. I found it to be the absolute best lullaby music ever! EQ and WoW never even came close.