Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Required Longevity ?

• 3016 posts
    January 21, 2015 12:55 PM PST
    Haelm said:
    Hieromonk said:

I have a different idea how Pantheon's direction might go. That since games are becoming modular, and technology is moving fast. That the cycle of said game doesn't matter, if Project 2 allows for transfer of characters. A better, more learned world than previous, but ongoing saga from the previous. Just as long as the support and dedication to your character is there from the developer's, your character's life is endless.

I would say most players try to manual accommodate the continuance anyway by playing the same class/ race and name etc, but having your original character be able to carry over with gear and stats would be long overdue :) It would be like a mega expansion with new engine possibilities, possibly just letting you re tweak appearance on import.

Legacy characters,  I remember those just don't remember if it was SOE that did that or another game.  (played far too many online games over the years,  a few of SOE's in particular).

Or have it like a genealogy chart,  (Swtor) where you could have each succeeding character have the same family name as your original.   Only trouble with that is ALL your characters from all factions had the same family name.    Which I didn't particularly like.

Torchlight does this legacy thing where you can pass items from your original character on to your new character,  by storing them in a box in the middle of town.    This is an rpg of course, not an mmo.

• 67 posts
    January 21, 2015 3:05 PM PST

I like the idea of having Pantheon evolve in being Pantheon 2 later on down the road instead of a whole new game.  Can't wait it's been way to long sitting back and doing nothing.

• 311 posts
    January 21, 2015 4:00 PM PST

I'm good with all that lets just get this one out first, I'm ready coach put me in.

• 18 posts
    January 21, 2015 6:08 PM PST

I want to be the boring, stale and generic person and say that it doesn't matter how long the ride lasts from a player's point of view, it's all about the experience and memories. I wouldn't mind having years to create those memories though! :)

• 3016 posts
    January 21, 2015 6:52 PM PST
    EvilPigBoss said:

I want to be the boring, stale and generic person and say that it doesn't matter how long the ride lasts from a player's point of view, it's all about the experience and memories. I wouldn't mind having years to create those memories though! :)

It's about the journey...take time to smell the coffee/roses what have you.    

And nice to see you back EPB :)   long time no see. :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at January 22, 2015 1:54 PM PST
    • 671 posts
    January 21, 2015 11:07 PM PST
    Venjenz said:

Initial box sales recoup development + generate initial profit AND more than 50% of the initial box sales are still subscribed one year later.

No games outside of Lineage and WoW can make that boast since 2004.

That's how spectacularly most MMOs fail anymore. The game loses money out of the gate and is a ghost town less than 6 months after release.

Here is what I know.

Game such as this, are not meant for teeny-boppers, but adults. Even a teenager who played World of Warcraft in 2004, are now 10 years older. So if you started playing when you were 17, you are now nearing age 30.

So lets be frank, if i could afford a $15/month back in 1999... when I was 29...   then I can certainly afford Initial Box Sale + $25/month + Expansion Packs... now. As we mature, so should our games, and our niche.

Case in point:

Look at any EQ fan-fest. Look at all the people there... & who attend. From all over the country...   Their hotels for that weekend alone, cost more than a whole year's subscription to the game they are celebrating. People will & do spend much more on their beloved Hobbies. EQ was a hobby, not a game.

I don't think Pantheon needs to undersell itself. Brad already did that once with Varent...

Again, I easily think Pantheon can fill a premium niche market, with live GM's and oldschool MMORPG style of play, with zero pay to win and $25/month, or $300/year to play. I'll repeat something that has stuck we me for 15 years now..  was a few younger College guys crashing at my pad, while me and a few friends were two-boxing EQ. These guys are like "WTF are you guys doing/going on...?"

My friend replied.. "EverCrack"..

They sat around until morning watching and getting more enthralled into EQ as the night progressed. After a 9h bender, we all rustle up to crash (it was morning) and One of the dudes said/asked..  "How much does that game cost..?  

I said..  "about $45 bucks for the game & $150/year subscription to play"....

He replied.. "Holy crap that is cheap... thats less than a bag of weed."   <--- think on that for a long time.