Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

I have it running on Linux (Ubuntu)

• 5 posts
    May 4, 2024 11:54 PM PDT

I was able to get past the infamous 'Failed to get remote manifest' bug - I believe it is a hidden TLS negotiation failure.

Anyway, here's what you do:

I adapted this guide from reddit (which was an adaptation of this winehq guide) plus added some bits.

1. Install Winbind (I believe it's safe to remove this at the end, it supports the dotnet installers):

sudo apt-get install winbind

2. Make a fresh prefix:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/pantheon

wineboot --init

3. Switch the prefix to Windows XP to get .NET Framework 4.0 installed (required for newer .NET Framework installation to work on wine):

winecfg

4. Download and install .NET Framework 4.0 (if the wget fails, you can use winetricks to install dotnet40 like in step 6 below)

wget 'http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/A/95A9616B-7A37-4AF6-BC36-D6EA96C8DAAE/dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe'

wine dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /q && wineserver -k

5. Change the prefix back to Windows 7 and set mscoree to native in the dll overrides for .NET Framework 4.8 installer to work:

winecfg

6. Download and install .NET Framework 4.8 (yes you need 4.0 and 4.8, in that order):

winetricks > Select the default wineprefix > Install a Windows DLL or component > dotnet48

7. You have to click through a bunch of menus and say OK. It will show some warnings about 64-bit compatibility. That's OK.

8. Add the game to Lutris:
    - Copy/paste the Installer exe to ~/.wine/pantheon/drive_c
    - In Lutris, hit the "+" to add a new game
    - "Add locally installed game"
    - Select the Pantheon installer EXE
    - Fill out details:
         name: Pantheon
         runner: wine
         Game Options > Executable: select the Pantheon installer EXE you copied (after successful install, go back and change Executable to PantheonLauncher.exe)
         Wine Prefix: use the directory we set for WINEPREFIX above (eg ~/.wine/pantheon)

9. Run the installer, it should 'just work'

10. After install, Go backto Lutris and right click the game and edit it, change the Game Options > Executable from the installer to ~/.wine/pantheon/drive_c/users/yourname/Documents/My Games/Pantheon/PantheonLauncher.exe

My wine version is lutris-7.2-2-x86_64

This post was edited by Kandayin at May 6, 2024 1:51 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    May 5, 2024 1:03 AM PDT

Thanks a lot, it works for me too.

• 7 posts
    May 5, 2024 1:27 PM PDT

On Fedora 39 Gnome Wayland, I got an error code 13568 when running the Launcher from Lutris.

I switched to Xorg and got "Failed to load plugin libgstflac.so : libFLAC.so.8" as well as many "bad ELF" warnings about gstreamer.

Edit: before trying this method, I was able to install Pantheon through Wine until I got the manifest TLS error. Maybe next month they will have this fixed.

This post was edited by Drewie at May 5, 2024 2:05 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    May 5, 2024 2:16 PM PDT

My guide should workaround the manifest error, can you try it on Fedora? The dotnet40 and dotnet48 winetricks packages allow your wine to use wine-windows libs for the client calls instead of the native Linux ones (which have dropped support for older ciphers)

• 7 posts
    May 5, 2024 3:10 PM PDT

I actually tried your workaround. There was no "winbind" package but there was a "samba-winbind" package that was already installed, other than that I followed the exact same procedure.

• 5 posts
    May 5, 2024 4:16 PM PDT

For winbind you have to start it. Apt-get handles this on Ubuntu, but something akin to:

sudo systemctl enable winbind && sudo systemctl start winbind

should do it

• 8 posts
    May 5, 2024 4:17 PM PDT

That worked! I think just creating a new WINEPREFIX did a lot of the work. After having so many games installed using Lutris I think sometimes games just get goofy. Either way everything worked and I am glad to see we have a few fellow Linux gamers on here. It starts to feel lonely sometimes =( 

• 8 posts
    May 5, 2024 4:19 PM PDT

Kandayin said:

For winbind you have to start it. Apt-get handles this on Ubuntu, but something akin to:

sudo systemctl enable winbind && sudo systemctl start winbind

should do it

I actually just installed it and completely forgot to enable and start it but still got patcher to work. Though I did have it randomly boot me to login screen when I first patched it after following guide. This is probably isolated to Ubuntu 24.04 because I early adopted like a fool.

• 8 posts
    May 5, 2024 4:24 PM PDT

Drewie said:

On Fedora 39 Gnome Wayland, I got an error code 13568 when running the Launcher from Lutris.

I switched to Xorg and got "Failed to load plugin libgstflac.so : libFLAC.so.8" as well as many "bad ELF" warnings about gstreamer.

Edit: before trying this method, I was able to install Pantheon through Wine until I got the manifest TLS error. Maybe next month they will have this fixed.

I had the same bad ELF warnings and some 13568 as well previously. I am on Ubuntu though but the workaround posted here SHOULD be pretty environment agnostic since it is dealing mostly with wine. Just ensure you have the latest wine, latest Mesa (if using AMD GPU) or NVIDIA driver, or maybe 1 back if you are on the latest already. Sometimes the NVIDIA latest wwill cause issues from what I have seen over the years. Also what are some of your other settings in Lutris? Are you using the same Lutris wine version? I had to change to the exact version OP used (lutris-7.2-2-x86_64) and it worked for me after that.

This post was edited by eangarra at May 5, 2024 4:24 PM PDT
    • 7 posts
    May 6, 2024 3:51 AM PDT

I have an AMD GPU, system is up to date, I even had a gstreamer update today.

I followed the exact procedure and selected the Wine version "lutris-7.2.2-x86_64" in Lutris. Using the "systemctl" commands didn't help either. I'll try again later, for now I can still play from a Windows host.

• 7 posts
    May 6, 2024 12:54 PM PDT

Ok I managed to make it work. First I tried launching the patcher with Wine and got this :

$ wine PantheonLauncher.exe
    0150:err:module:fixup_imports_ilonly mscoree.dll not found, IL-only binary L"PantheonLauncher.exe" cannot be loaded
    0150:err:module:loader_init Importing dlls for L"C:\\users\\drewie\\Documents\\My Games\\Pantheon\\PantheonLauncher.exe" failed, status c0000135

even though the native (Windows) dll was there :

$ find ~/.pantheon -name mscoree.dll
    /home/drewie/.pantheon/drive_c/windows/system32/mscoree.dll
    /home/drewie/.pantheon/drive_c/windows/syswow64/mscoree.dll

As suggested on this Reddit post, I uninstalled DotNet 4.8 and reinstalled it from scratch :

$ wine uninstaller
    $ winetricks --force dotnet48

It took longer than the initial procedure, so something was probably missing. And it finally patched and launched!

Also, thanks for the walkthrough, it was very useful !

• 5 posts
    May 6, 2024 1:52 PM PDT

Drewie said:

Also, thanks for the walkthrough, it was very useful !

So glad to see more people getting online with Linux! Yes! See you in game :)