Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The People have spoken

• 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 4:10 PM PDT
    Just in case anyone was wondering. The vast majority of people seem to not like this concept. 1.jpg
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 28, 2023 4:11 PM PDT
    • 31 posts
    October 28, 2023 4:24 PM PDT
    We don't know what the other ~9000 people think though.
    • 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 4:32 PM PDT
    Nivea said:

True, but I think this sample size gives us an idea. Seems most people hate it.
    • 31 posts
    October 28, 2023 4:39 PM PDT
    Sweety said:
    Nivea said:

Don't say anything really, just that those that "hate" it is more prone to "say" it.
    • 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 4:50 PM PDT
    Nivea said:
    Sweety said:
    Nivea said:

Don't say anything really, just that those that "hate" it is more prone to "say" it.

2 things can be true at once. while it's true nay-sayers are more vocal, it can still be true that most people hate it. This ratio is pretty alarming.
    • 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:14 PM PDT
    Sweety said:
    Nivea said: We don't know what the other ~9000 people think though.

That is not how that works. When considering a sample as a subset of a target population, sample size will not correct bias. The people engaged in the conversation on the Internet, do not speak for the rest of the entire population. Now, I am not saying they would approve or disapprove of the of the game mode, just that your reasoning is not valid. This would be a convenience sample, and as a result suffer from selection bias, meaning that it would tend to over or under estimate a parameter of interest.
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 28, 2023 5:16 PM PDT
    • 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:18 PM PDT
    Let’s agree to disagree. Otherwise, I’ll just be calling you a fanboy making excuses for the game. And you’ll call me a doomsday pessimist. Truth is, we are both expressing opinions.
    • 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:31 PM PDT
    Sweety said: Let’s agree to disagree. Otherwise, I’ll just be calling you a fanboy making excuses for the game. And you’ll call me a doomsday pessimist. Truth is, we are both expressing opinions.

You can agree to disagree with me all you want, but I am not expressing an opinion. I am simply telling you how sampling works. This would be a convenience sample, meaning it suffers from selection bias which cannot be fixed by sample size. I am not saying the sample has no value, I am saying it will tend to over or under estimate regardless of its size due to the bias. My guess, given the negative vibe on the forums, it will tend to over estimate, but by how much we don't really know.

Also if you think I am a fanboy, you should read my other posts, I am a far from a fan of VR. I think they are scammers and that they have been scammers for a long time, I was just pointing out, that your reasoning was wrong.
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 28, 2023 5:33 PM PDT
    • 2053 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:35 PM PDT

Just as another member of the forums, I think it is always good to consider whatever numbers are available concerning an issue, AND that is always good to consider the degree of relevancy of any numbers we consider.

So thank you for posting this Sweety.

• 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:39 PM PDT
    Jothany said:

Just as another member of the forums, I think it is always good to consider whatever numbers are available concerning an issue, AND that is always good to consider the degree of relevancy of any numbers we consider.

As a stats teacher, I get tired of people saying sample size accounts for bias. However, I would agree with you that there is some value. We can't always have our perfect sample, and often we have to make due with what we can. Just as long as we also keep in mind at the same time there is bias, and we can't just wish that away.
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 28, 2023 5:40 PM PDT
    • 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:41 PM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:
    Sweety said: Let’s agree to disagree. Otherwise, I’ll just be calling you a fanboy making excuses for the game. And you’ll call me a doomsday pessimist. Truth is, we are both expressing opinions.

You can agree to disagree with me all you want, but I am not expressing an opinion. I am simply telling you how sampling works. This would be a convenience sample, meaning it suffers from selection bias which cannot be fixed by sample size. I am not saying the sample has no value, I am saying it will tend to over or under estimate regardless of its size due to the bias. My guess, given the negative vibe on the forums, it will tend to over estimate, but by how much we don't really know.

Also if you think I am a fanboy, you should read my other posts, I am a far from a fan of VR. I think they are scammers and that they have been scammers for a long time, I was just pointing out, that your reasoning was wrong.

Ding! You have reached max level arrogance and are now 300/300.

This post was edited by Sweety at October 28, 2023 5:41 PM PDT
    • 194 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:42 PM PDT
    I think there are two arguments being made here and both are valid.

1) That people who are participating in the feedback of the game are overwhelmingly opposed to what they're seeing.

2) That those who participate in providing feedback where it is as simple as going to a video and clicking are not always representative of the audience (ie. some bad faith actors who are there to swing public opinion outlook.)

If Sweety agrees with 1 and Jeremiahcp agrees with 2, we've found where this could be settled.
    • 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:44 PM PDT

Sweety said:
    Jeremiahcp said:
    You can agree to disagree with me all you want, but I am not expressing an opinion. I am simply telling you how sampling works. This would be a convenience sample, meaning it suffers from selection bias which cannot be fixed by sample size. I am not saying the sample has no value, I am saying it will tend to over or under estimate regardless of its size due to the bias. My guess, given the negative vibe on the forums, it will tend to over estimate, but by how much we don't really know. Also if you think I am a fanboy, you should read my other posts, I am a far from a fan of VR. I think they are scammers and that they have been scammers for a long time, I was just pointing out, that your reasoning was wrong.
    Ding! You have reached max level arrogance and are now 300/300.

Yeah, that doesn't really mean anything to me. 

• 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:46 PM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:
    Jothany said:

As a stats teacher, I get tired of people saying sample size accounts for bias. However, I would agree with you that there is some value. We can't always have our perfect sample, and often we have to make due with what we can. Just as long as we also keep in mind at the same time there is bias, and we can't just wish that away.

Yep, of course it all counts. It’s data. That’s all I am saying. I’m not a math teacher. I’m not a statistician. I’m just a fan that can read and have an opinion.
    • 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:48 PM PDT

justdrop said: I think there are two arguments being made here and both are valid. 1) That people who are participating in the feedback of the game are overwhelmingly opposed to what they're seeing. 2) That those who participate in providing feedback where it is as simple as going to a video and clicking are not always representative of the audience (ie. some bad faith actors who are there to swing public opinion outlook.) If Sweety agrees with 1 and Jeremiahcp agrees with 2, we've found where this could be settled.

In truth I care more about addressing the misconception that sample size fixes bias, then about the game mode itself. 

The game mode itself could be marketed to an entirely different audience which would just be a whole new target population. Which would make this conversation besides the point. 

• 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:53 PM PDT

Sweety said:
    Jeremiahcp said:
    Jothany said: Just as another member of the forums, I think it is always good to consider whatever numbers are available concerning an issue, AND that is always good to consider the degree of relevancy of any numbers we consider. So thank you for posting this Sweety.
    Yep, of course it all counts. It’s data. That’s all I am saying. I’m not a math teacher. I’m not a statistician. I’m just a fan that can read and have an opinion.

Sure, but Nivea's initial assessment was correct. 

• 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 6:15 PM PDT
    Maybe, but so was mine. Most people SEEM to not like this 247 nonsense. Anyway, we got off topic. This thread is about 247 seemingly being not well received. Either way, thanks for the feedback.

For me, I don’t receive it well because it feels like an act of desperation for VR.
    • 3852 posts
    October 28, 2023 6:44 PM PDT
    Obviously this is not a sample of people scientifically chosen to avoid bias, answering a question careful worded to be neutral to avoid bias.

But the sheer size of the gap between the yeas and the nays is meaningful absent some deliberate effort to get the nays to vote and get the yays not to.

I am convinced most of us are, to use a term I used when I won a statistics prize as the best statistics student in my high school .......pissed.

I am certain VR was desperate - I said so when all of this first broke.

I am certain that the target market will not be us. Though they will be happy to get a few more dollars from this audience. The target market will be a lot younger, a lot less experienced, totally uninterested in grouping, and will play games on phones more than on computers.
    • 727 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:27 PM PDT
    I like the direction and I look forward to playing 247. I hope it generates revenue despite the effort by the community to force a change that would cause more harm. I've heard and read responsible and professional communication about a complex issue . My opinion of the team has not changed, it remains highly positive. My expectations for pantheon being built is just as strong. My only disappointment is with the community, I expected more of you all. If they had paused development and focused on selling and supporting a network tool they designed and built and said we will begin pantheon work in 6 months I would also be pleased. If this move with 247 gets the company into a better position in 6 months to a year then good, it is still forward progress. Also reddit provides no valuable data. It's population behavior is more like a flock of birds or schools of fish, a few members lead the mass and dissenting opinions get buried.
    • 194 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:33 PM PDT
    Ah yes, "it's the people who are wrong"

And to clarify, that's Youtube. Not reddit.
    This post was edited by justdrop at October 28, 2023 7:33 PM PDT
    • 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:38 PM PDT

Sweety said: Maybe, but so was mine. Most people SEEM to not like this 247 nonsense. Anyway, we got off topic. This thread is about 247 seemingly being not well received. Either way, thanks for the feedback. For me, I don’t receive it well because it feels like an act of desperation for VR.

I am sorry, but your justifications were incorrect. Which is what you don't seem to be grasping here. 

• 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:42 PM PDT
    StoneFish said:
    I like the direction and I look forward to playing 247. I hope it generates revenue despite the effort by the community to force a change that would cause more harm. I've heard and read responsible and professional communication about a complex issue . My opinion of the team has not changed, it remains highly positive. My expectations for pantheon being built is just as strong. My only disappointment is with the community, I expected more of you all. If they had paused development and focused on selling and supporting a network tool they designed and built and said we will begin pantheon work in 6 months I would also be pleased. If this move with 247 gets the company into a better position in 6 months to a year then good, it is still forward progress. Also reddit provides no valuable data. It's population behavior is more like a flock of birds or schools of fish, a few members lead the mass and dissenting opinions get buried.

I respect every different opinion, yours included, but this blows my mind. I mean, it’s been nearly 10 years since the kickstarter. I’m genuinely asking, how can you remain so optimistic? Serious question. Are you just hopeful the game we want still has a chance? Or do you genuinely believe the last couple months of bad PR is a good thing?

Plesee don’t take this the wrong way, but from the outside looking in, it seems like optimism for Pantheon is just because people still have the blinders on. Or perhaps people are so heavily financially and emotionally invested they just can’t handle the truth about this being close to the end? 10 years of this, I think it’s over mate.
    • 226 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:58 PM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:

Sweety said: Maybe, but so was mine. Most people SEEM to not like this 247 nonsense. Anyway, we got off topic. This thread is about 247 seemingly being not well received. Either way, thanks for the feedback. For me, I don’t receive it well because it feels like an act of desperation for VR.

I am sorry, but your justifications were incorrect. Which is what you don't seem to be grasping here.

Nope. I said "seems" which according to the Oxford Languages Dictionary literally means "gives the impression" and can be "used to make a statement or description of one's thoughts"

So, to me it seems, most people hate 247.
    • 48 posts
    October 28, 2023 8:06 PM PDT

Sweety said:
    Jeremiahcp said:
    Nope. I said "seems" which according to the Oxford Languages Dictionary literally means "gives the impression" and can be "used to make a statement or description of one's thoughts" So, to me it seems, most people hate 247.

You are not following at all. I am talking about your justifications.

• 77 posts
    October 29, 2023 4:46 AM PDT
    Those numbers tell me that there are 900 people who REALLY REALLY hate the 247 mode enough to bother to give a downvote. 100 something that really really like it, and a whole lot of people who are neutral considering the views on it.

I watch youtube videos all the time and don't bother to up/downvote unless something really annoys me. I watched this one and didn't care enough to vote....heck I don't think I have ever upvoted or downvoted a pantheon video(from VR or other streamers) from the beginning. I definitely liked the earlier streams to upvote them...but never did.

The video itself was not great, but not the end of the world either. If I were a betting lady, I would bet most of those views have the same opinion....it will either work well or not *shrug* But bringing a bunch of negativity is definitely not going to help us get an MMO eventually.

Now if I would have seen 9k downvotes I would agree that the majority *hate* it, but the amount of people who even bothered to rate it is very low. Most are probably neutral.