Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon 247 - Discord Q&A with VR (19th and 20th October)

• 79 posts
    October 22, 2023 2:18 PM PDT

Don't worry, next will be Pantheon : Black Hawk Down.  In the magical world of Terminus, set in Mogadishu!

• 86 posts
    October 22, 2023 2:55 PM PDT

Savanja said:

I appreciate the sharing of info from Discord. More information is coming later this week. We expect some clarification and hopefully a video that will show how the game mode works.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible but you guys really need to blow us away in this next update next week or you are going to lose the vast majority of people who have been awaiting this games release. I'm not intending that as a threat but simply a fact. 

• 839 posts
    October 22, 2023 2:57 PM PDT

Savanja said:

I appreciate the sharing of info from Discord. More information is coming later this week. We expect some clarification and hopefully a video that will show how the game mode works.

Hopefully a video showing the game mode? As in maybe not getting a video ready for later this week?

• 273 posts
    October 22, 2023 3:01 PM PDT

RedGang said:

1&2. They can do this for free by simply letting more people into pre-alpha, preferrably fewer yes men.

It's funny that you think the VIP portion of the community is full of yes-men (and women).

• 86 posts
    October 22, 2023 3:18 PM PDT

Hokanu said:

Savanja said:

Hopefully a video showing the game mode? As in maybe not getting a video ready for later this week?

that would help a lot honestly. A game play video of it speaks a thousand times more than their words could ever hope to do.

This post was edited by Gaku at October 22, 2023 3:18 PM PDT
    • 839 posts
    October 22, 2023 3:30 PM PDT

Absolutely, what I mean is that with the PR opportunity that a video would be to have it  only in the hopeful basket seems crazy.

You would think that VR has a lot of footage and plenty of things they already know they want to say about the game mode on the tip of their tongue ready to compile into a video by now. 

They're in a PR nightmare and this isn't at the forefront of the PR strategy?

• VR Staff
    • 530 posts
    October 22, 2023 3:52 PM PDT

Hokanu said:

Savanja said:

As I understand it, a video is being made.

• 80 posts
    October 22, 2023 4:59 PM PDT

Ziegfried said:

Battle Royale is such a departure from an MMORPG, it's downright absurd. Like these guys didn't even consider making a single player RPG first? Or a small scale multiplayer RPG? They just move into an entirely differnent genre that has zero roleplaying whatsoever?

Could not agree more.

If I was gaming satire website, I'd write an article about how after 10 years, Pantheon decided to look like Fortnite so they could shift their focus to Battle Royale. But it's actually happening lmao! I couldn't make up a more ridiculous story if I tried. If someone told you this would happen a year ago, you would think they're the dumbest troll ever but here we are.

• 3852 posts
    October 22, 2023 5:58 PM PDT

Videos are nice but a trial run is nicer.

People have suggested over the last few years that people in pledge levels below those with access to pre-alpha be given some limited opportunity to try pre-alpha out. This has, and for good reason, not happened.

But a new game that VR will try to make money from is a horse of an entirely different colour. I see no harm and much potential good in giving all of us on the pledge list at any level a chance to try the new game out. As a free trial of a new game offered to those most likely to be potential players - not as an upgrade of a pledge reward.

If the game is really good this will help get the word out. And many of the free trial players will continie to play even once the charges start. We have, after all, proven that we have no objection to money going into the VR pot. If the game is .....not good .... nothing matters so go out with a bang.

This post was edited by dorotea at October 22, 2023 5:59 PM PDT
    • 167 posts
    October 22, 2023 8:49 PM PDT

Thurs.  Make or break time.  

Agreed with dorotea, free trial, or just straight up free for people who already pledged.  Extraction doesn't interest me, but being in the world of Pantheon to get a feeling for what the MMORPG will feel like, does.  

I'm all for it being monetized if it's going to get the MMORPG to us sooner, but a mode like this, I'd have to try to even see if I liked it, before I put any money into it.  Nothing but negative memories with my limited play time in extraction games.

• 252 posts
    October 22, 2023 9:09 PM PDT

Prevenge said:

Thurs.  Make or break time.  

Agreed with dorotea, free trial, or just straight up free for people who already pledged.  Extraction doesn't interest me, but being in the world of Pantheon to get a feeling for what the MMORPG will feel like, does.  

I'm all for it being monetized if it's going to get the MMORPG to us sooner, but a mode like this, I'd have to try to even see if I liked it, before I put any money into it.  Nothing but negative memories with my limited play time in extraction games.

You say you're OK with it being monetized as long as it's going to get the MMORPG completed sooner. But there are some issues with that.

A) We don't know what "sooner" means since we don't know their current projections
    B) Many aren't confident that the MMORPG will be completed at all, which if it isn't then your pledge directly paid for a game other than what you pledged for.

This post was edited by Ruinar at October 22, 2023 9:10 PM PDT
    • 185 posts
    October 23, 2023 12:35 AM PDT
    Consider this logically, IF 247 is successful monetized (not a chance in hell, pure delusion, wait till you see actual gameplay), why would there be Any incentive to switch focus from something thats making money, Back to the MMO? Wouldn’t happen, they will focus all the more on the new extraction game.
    And if 247 is a total flop financially (100% guaranteed, its a sad joke, again wait till you see actual gameplay) then its all over and they thank us for our support.
    Revert back to the previous game, Graphics and all, and let Alpha pledges in. Thats the Only hope.
    • 83 posts
    October 23, 2023 3:24 AM PDT

Savanja said:

Hokanu said:

Savanja said:

As I understand it, a video is being made.

In my view, it will be a huge missed opportunity if you don't provide a video accompanying the article. That or the article in simply amazing (not likelly judging from the development update articles of the last few months).

This is a critical time when the MPR team really needs to appease pantheon followers in general, but also the drama hungry mmo media outlets.

Pantheon' reputation is very much at stake right now. I hope VR in general are fully aware of that ...

This post was edited by Kaynrath at October 23, 2023 3:28 AM PDT
    • 48 posts
    October 23, 2023 5:34 AM PDT

I am actually seeing this almost like 2 game modes. Yes from the PvP side it is 100% a BR extraction rpg. But from the PvE only form, to me, it seems like a nice 4 man dungeon run. Except its up to 100 people in 4 man grps doing dungeon runs at the same time. You can't attack each other. So its more like a race to see whats at the center. Hopefully a boss. You spawn in try out the game loop of the dungeon. Camp some mobs. Get some Loot. If you die...oops need to try again with some crappier loot you had stored away. If you win you get chance at some cool loot. All while seeing what VR has in the game which include all current classes with their abilities, climbing and combat systems. Who knows what you can do to prepare before going into the dungeon. Maybe some crafting....????

Sure. We all wish that VR would just open actual 24/7 testing while including Alpha pledgers. But content is king. It currenty does not seem like there would be enough content to satiate that many people. While we are all shocked by the leaks and angry how everything has been handled PR wise, I see this as a chance to include more testers. Hopefully allowing Alpha pledgers to taste the game(in a closed dungeon run type loop). Plus include more outsiders based on however they decide to monetize. All while allowing VR to get tons of valuable info and feedback about the systems while hopefully getting some funding to continue to develop the MMO we are wating for.

Do not get me wrong,I am as skeptical as the rest of you. I do not like how things have been handled. VR should have jump in front of this as fast as possible. And not doing so, I feel it has hurt them considerably. Maybe irreparably. But I will remain hopeful. For now.

This post was edited by Xanafel at October 23, 2023 5:36 AM PDT
    • 8 posts
    October 23, 2023 6:55 AM PDT

Huh. So this wasn't an organized Q&A, just OP collecting questions and answers from discord over two days? VR really isn't interested at all in getting out ahead of this, which is interesting. Maybe they're super confident in the game mode. Looking forward to seeing the newsletter this month for sure.

Happy to help with the testing I paid a few hundred bucks for many years ago, but I'm worried there's no winning here. All of the monetization scenarios are bad:

• They could charge everybody. This would be hugely alienating and insulting to anybody with a significant pledge and I don't think there'd be much of a conversion rate, so they risk not getting the feedback or the money they need out of this.
    • They could draw a line in the sand (between VIP and Champion, for example) and charge everyone below a certain pledge level. Similar problem as charging everybody and probably wouldn't help much because they've already got the VIPs involved in testing and conversion among lower-level pledges would be abysmal.
    • They could offer it for free to any existing pledge. This would give them the feedback they want, but no money. They'd have to either spend money to market this game mode outside the core backer audience (which defeats 50% of the purpose and carries risk) or resign themselves to making no money off this thing, which isn't a tenable option.

Don't want to be a doomer or anything, just doing a little theorycrafting based on what's been shared. My money (pun intended, even though my actual money will be far away from this game until at least release) is on #2. We shall see!

This post was edited by treyburz at October 23, 2023 6:56 AM PDT
    • 627 posts
    October 23, 2023 7:27 AM PDT
    It sounds like the extraction part is just a save mekanic from session to session. You join in to play on a 100 ppl big server and just log out when your done. Your progression is savede.

The pvp part i agree sound a bit tedious with a on death loot system, i dont know maybe its fun, We will have to see.
    • 3852 posts
    October 23, 2023 7:27 AM PDT

"A) We don't know what "sooner" means since we don't know their current projections
    B) Many aren't confident that the MMORPG will be completed at all, which if it isn't then your pledge directly paid for a game other than what you pledged for."

A is correct in that we do not know either what the timing will be or what VR thinks the timing will be. We do not know even what VR might say the timing will be which is not necessarily the same as the first two things. There are three primary possibilities.

1. The minigame fails. Development over, no Pantheon. I doubt this point needs to be fleshed out.

2. The minigame succeeds. Revenue used for Pantheon development. Depending on the amount of revenue - development speeds up or stagnates for another 10 years.

3. The minigame succeeds. VR pulls its white-limned lips from the udders of the new cash cow - mumbles who the heck needs another MMO - and goes back to the teat.

B - only an idiot would be confident at this point that Pantheon will be completed. A half full glass represents small hope. A half empty glass represents no hope. But our pledges were used to try and get Pantheon developed. The minigame has been pursued as what VR deemed the last and best hope to get Pantheon developed. They may have been wrong but I don't think they sat there laughing about how our money was being diverted to something irrelevent to the ultimate release of the game.

• 65 posts
    October 26, 2023 8:52 PM PDT
    So much doom and gloom on this forum. I'm staying optimistic. If you don't want to play the mini game, then don't. If you don't like PvP, then play the PVE version of the mini game. I'd pay a little money to play the mini game, despite having pledged several hundred bucks years ago. I want the game to launch and I'd love to finally be able to play even a limited version of it. I'd be happy to give feedback and help the game improve. This is a huge undertaking and it's being done by a small group without the backing of a large company like Sony or Microsoft. I don't believe that the mini game will destroy the MMO in any way. I enjoyed the pvp mini game that Guild Wars 1 had. It didn't effect the main game. The team has worked too long to give up on the MMO in favor of a small mini game. Let's give it a try and see what happens. What have you got to lose?
    This post was edited by phil85 at October 26, 2023 8:58 PM PDT
    • 194 posts
    October 26, 2023 9:03 PM PDT
    The acknowledgement and apology the community received today has alleviated a lot of my anger. Joppa asked if we would be okay with receiving unpolished gameplay, the community said yes because we desperately want content we can try, and he has said that sometime in December we can get hands on with extraction.

I do not want extraction but, in the interest of fairness and because I truly want the MMO to be successful, I am willing to bite my tongue and give feedback on the game mode in the hopes that progress there will assist with the MMORPG's development.
    • 46 posts
    November 19, 2023 10:56 AM PST

phil85 said: So much doom and gloom on this forum. I'm staying optimistic. If you don't want to play the mini game, then don't. If you don't like PvP, then play the PVE version of the mini game. I'd pay a little money to play the mini game, despite having pledged several hundred bucks years ago. I want the game to launch and I'd love to finally be able to play even a limited version of it. I'd be happy to give feedback and help the game improve. This is a huge undertaking and it's being done by a small group without the backing of a large company like Sony or Microsoft. I don't believe that the mini game will destroy the MMO in any way. I enjoyed the pvp mini game that Guild Wars 1 had. It didn't effect the main game. The team has worked too long to give up on the MMO in favor of a small mini game. Let's give it a try and see what happens. What have you got to lose?

I agree I am really excited about what Pantheon Rise of the Fallen has in Store. Game Play in my Book is King. Graffics are nice to..but Pantheon has a limited buget.

The mini game does sound like fun. I would like to get the oppentunity to play it even if I need to pay some money to do so.