Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Better speed up development

• 3852 posts
    September 21, 2023 8:00 AM PDT

No not a complaint about the timing or predictions of gloom.

But per Massively Overpowered yesterday EG7 (owner of Daybreak) has said thet they are "thinking" about making Everquest 3 and if they pull the trigger it may be ready as early as 2028.

At my age I don't even buy green bananas so this is of sublime irrelevance to me.

• 326 posts
    September 21, 2023 8:37 AM PDT

At my age I don't even buy green bananas

Got a CoL out of me (Chuckle out Loud)

This post was edited by Thunderleg at September 21, 2023 8:38 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    September 21, 2023 9:53 AM PDT

dorotea said:

At my age I don't even buy green bananas so this is of sublime irrelevance to me.

And here I thought I was the only one that did the same thing.

• 37 posts
    September 21, 2023 11:07 AM PDT
    What makes you think they aren't going as fast as they can? Do you think they can go faster?
    • 326 posts
    September 21, 2023 11:36 AM PDT

Fear not redman323. dorotea and Vandaddy are in this endeavor until there are no green bananas left to get. (is that ageism?!)

This post was edited by Thunderleg at September 21, 2023 11:38 AM PDT
    • 37 posts
    September 21, 2023 11:53 AM PDT
    Didn't know he was your Daddy...is that just an ingame nickname? Is there some kind of back story? What was his reaction the first time you called him? How long has this been going on?

These are the questions that keep me up at night....
    • 8 posts
    September 21, 2023 12:49 PM PDT

Who is your Daddy and what does he do? Get to the chopper, do it now!

• 326 posts
    September 21, 2023 2:10 PM PDT

Trust me, Vandraad can speak for himself!

Plus, I'll have a pepperoni pizza with 9mm bullets (Ah'nold accent required).

This post was edited by Thunderleg at September 21, 2023 2:13 PM PDT
    • 79 posts
    September 21, 2023 2:18 PM PDT

Trust me, just because a company puts the name Everquest in their title doesn't mean anything.  There is a difference between having the NAME of the game and the SOUL of the game.  I have learned this from Blizzard and Diablo.  Yeah they still make Diablo games like 3 and 4, but they never captured the spirit of Diablo 2.  There is a reason people still play that game.  

• 326 posts
    September 21, 2023 2:31 PM PDT

My wife and I just moved on from playing through D4 due to eventual boredom among other deficiencies (compared to D2 as per Xerion ). I have also turned my back on WOW. I agree that current (or future) games associated with older IPs have almost no connection to the former soul of prior games that made them memorable, and dare I say it...fun. Even Starfield is missing 'something'. As for PRotF, all the proclaimed ingredients appear to be accounted for, but execution has yet to be displayed. Hang in there team, "I'm not dead yet!"

• 167 posts
    September 21, 2023 3:14 PM PDT

Marketing nonsense to try to drum up comments and see how many people would be interested in EQ3.  It will be the exact amount of people they expect, because the EQ crowd hasn't really lost or gained any real significant amount of numbers in either direction.  

They already have EQ3 in the making, I'd bet money on it.  Games aren't developed with soul and dedication to a vision anymore, they are built off comments and player feedback and changed and twisted and mutated to the point where the developers don't even know what they released by the time it comes out.  I don't know how many of you were part of the New World community since the start, but trust me the live version of New World is further from the original vision of what New World started as, than I ever could have imagined a game could even go. 

I hope VR sticks to their original vision, because that's what eventually sold me on this game.  Player feedback is good, but it's also .. not good.. Sometimes.  Heh.  

• 226 posts
    September 21, 2023 7:51 PM PDT

Prevenge said:Games aren't developed with soul and dedication to a vision anymore, they are built off comments and player feedback and changed and twisted and mutated to the point where the developers don't even know what they released by the time it comes out.  I don't know how many of you were part of the New World community since the start, but trust me the live version of New World is further from the original vision of what New World started as, than I ever could have imagined a game could even go. 

I hope VR sticks to their original vision, because that's what eventually sold me on this game.  Player feedback is good, but it's also .. not good.. Sometimes.  Heh.  

100% agree. That's what worries me about Pantheon. It's already turning into a game that feels different then the vision from many years ago. The new art for example .. seems like Pantheon is becoming a game for the masses and not the People that want an old school mmo. 

This post was edited by Sweety at September 21, 2023 7:51 PM PDT
    • 167 posts
    September 22, 2023 9:44 AM PDT

Sweety said:

Prevenge said:Games aren't developed with soul and dedication to a vision anymore, they are built off comments and player feedback and changed and twisted and mutated to the point where the developers don't even know what they released by the time it comes out.  I don't know how many of you were part of the New World community since the start, but trust me the live version of New World is further from the original vision of what New World started as, than I ever could have imagined a game could even go. 

100% agree. That's what worries me about Pantheon. It's already turning into a game that feels different then the vision from many years ago. The new art for example .. seems like Pantheon is becoming a game for the masses and not the People that want an old school mmo. 

So here's my thought.  They released a short 5 minute video.  They were well aware that people were expecting a 1 hour reveal, right?  The only reason you would do this is if you are very early in the changes to art style and want initial feedback on a few items, before you continue on.

My GUESS is that they are going to course correct based on all the feedback over the next few days to the art change.  They aren't just suddenly going to launch a game that aims at kids and forget their core audience.  Expect lots and lots of changes.  Hopefully they add a little more grit, remember their core audience is 30 - 50 and in some cases even older and mature the game up a bit.  

• 44 posts
    September 24, 2023 11:51 AM PDT

Sweety said:

I actually hope they do make a popular game for the masses that can retain players.  If they could get 4-11mil players that would mean the game is actually good.  Tired of these games where only a couple hundred players are playing.  Complete turds made for a much smaller niche than they were expecting.

Dev teams have been out of touch with the general audience for a long time.  They are either making super niche hardcore mechanics, or super niche EZ mode mechanics.  Both styles have been rejected by players.  Keep in mind that doesnt mean it has to be like these new games that have been releasing.  These new games are not even popular.

Popular is a good thing.

• 902 posts
    September 25, 2023 2:39 AM PDT

Razorbrains: I actually hope they do make a popular game for the masses that can retain players.  If they could get 4-11mil players that would mean the game is actually good.

The whole premise of Pantheon is that it harks back the the original idea of what a rpg mmo was all about and that the popular mass view was not the aim. A popular game does not mean it is a good game. It often means easy to play and mind numbingly boring. Numbers do not equate to good. Herd mentality is seldom good. Greatness comes from those that strike out against the common conception. 

Dev teams have been out of touch with the general audience for a long time. 

Dev teams wanted something other that the general accpeted view of an mmo, this is not out of touch, this is just different. 

Popular is a good thing.

Oh it soooo is not! Popular song (in UK) Mr Blooby. Number 1. BAD. Its Chico Time. Number 1 BAD. "Reality TV" BAD. Guns. BAD. War. BAD. Politicians who lie. BAD. <- All bad but all popular! No, popular is not a good thing at all.

• 902 posts
    September 25, 2023 2:46 AM PDT

Back to the original point of this thread:

But per Massively Overpowered yesterday EG7 (owner of Daybreak) has said thet they are "thinking" about making Everquest 3

I laughed out loud (literally) when I read this. I would not trust Day Break again, ever. I certainly wont be helping them with a reboot again! Another joke. Another company who doesnt give a monkey for their customers.

• 31 posts
    September 25, 2023 3:47 PM PDT

A game being developed, and a game that is released are two totally different things. MMORPG market is still up for grabs as far as I'm concerned. Nobody has dethroned the top few MMOs, and things have gone stale.

I wouldn't be surprised if lots of companies are looking at an Everquest 3, and frankly we already have MMORPGs (like ashes of creation) that are looking to land in the scene. Not to cast shade on anyone's hopes and dreams here, but Pantheon has a lot of ground to cover.