Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon Art Reveal Thursday!

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    September 19, 2023 1:44 PM PDT
    This Thursday, September 21st at 6PM PDT (-7 GMT) we will be sharing the updated Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen art via YouTube. Join the community and dev team for a video premiere watch party and be one of the first to see the unique style that our art team is bringing to the game.

We hope to see you all there!

• 167 posts
    September 19, 2023 2:19 PM PDT

Can't wait.  After thinking it over, I think an art direction change might be a good thing for this game.  Although it didn't look bad, it did look a little out of place in the current lineup of upcoming MMORPG's, but this presents an opportunity for VR to really beef up the personality of the game, in a more timeless manner.  I think weapons and armor would be easier to design with the new art style and allow for a little more flavor, too.  

• 27 posts
    September 19, 2023 5:25 PM PDT

Looking forward to learning more of the backstory and seeing a better representation -- hopefully some in motion -- of this new art direction.

• 96 posts
    September 20, 2023 1:11 PM PDT

I'm still concerned about this change, but hopeful that this reveal will ease those concerns. Looking forward to it!

• 8 posts
    September 21, 2023 12:50 PM PDT

Is it Thursday yet?

• 595 posts
    September 21, 2023 3:44 PM PDT

Solo said:

Is it Thursday yet?

I see you Solo 

• 167 posts
    September 21, 2023 6:35 PM PDT

The way you guys at VR were talking about having a reveal and being in the chat to answer questions, I kinda thought it was going to be like a 1 hour long video with lots of people chatting about what we were seeing.  Not going to lie, was kind of disappointed when the screen went black after only a few short minutes.  

The change is pretty positive so far, though.  Hopefully we get to see more very soon. 

I can see some of my WoW buddies taking another look thanks to this change, but I'll wait until there's a much longer video with a lot more examples, before I send them anything.

• 17 posts
    September 21, 2023 6:51 PM PDT

I love the new art it's a more cartoony cel-shaded look. It lends itself to fantasy and will age well. Can we get some dates, the biggest issue is we a 7 years in 250 bucks deep and need some kind of timeline even if it's not one we like. Awesome job art team, Woot!

• 902 posts
    September 22, 2023 1:28 AM PDT

Prevenge:  ...I kinda thought it was going to be like a 1 hour long video with lots of people chatting...

I agree with Prevenge, we have had precious little from VR for a while now (yes, I know VR said it would be a lot less), however, I was expecting a lot more that a 5 minute "here's what we got" type thing. It could have been so much more and could have gone a long way to alleviate your customer's concerns. Why not show a start to finish run for a model? How much quicker is the dev cycle now? (Along with a ton of other questions that seem to no longer get answered. (Yup I am now getting frustrated!)).

I know this takes people away from development, however you do have a ton of people who have supported this project from very early on and I think the we deserve a little more that a 5 minute reveal.

I am disappointed with the move away from realism to "painted", however I do understand the reasoning. It is very cartoony, but I will still give it a go. It does now seem that you are changing tack to be a more commercial beast than a niche one, which makes sense from a monetary point of view, I am just not so sure it does for a game that claims to get back to the essence of rpg mmos. 

This just feels... childlike to me. But then I have only seen a few minutes worth of these changes and as I said, I will give it a go. I hope I am still able get immersed in this new world.

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 22, 2023 1:53 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    September 22, 2023 6:53 AM PDT

Before Thursday my hope was for a game that was distinctly an improvement over current MMOs. My fear was that it would be not nearly as big an improvement as it could have been. My hope is unchanged. My fear is unchanged. As long as the game as a whole has significant features that I consider improvements over the norm I will not agonize over the aspects that are ...not improvements.

• 31 posts
    September 22, 2023 7:04 AM PDT

chenzeme said:

This just feels... childlike to me. But then I have only seen a few minutes worth of these changes and as I said, I will give it a go. I hope I am still able get immersed in this new world.

Even that i like the style, i agree there is a risk it will feel a bit childish and to vibrant in colors. I would have prefered the old style, it felt moore DnD, but i understad why it had to change.

But as been said, we have only seen few minutes - Need moore...

This post was edited by Nivea at September 22, 2023 7:05 AM PDT
    • 30 posts
    September 22, 2023 7:05 AM PDT

WTF???
    Why ruin the game with this crappy wow like childgame art style????

Uhg!

Betrayal!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GZYO30cdP4

This post was edited by Revener at September 22, 2023 7:22 AM PDT
    • 441 posts
    September 22, 2023 8:22 AM PDT

IMO, this is the best move in a long time. Art style looks great, should be able to get content out faster and who really cares about the graphics. Pick a style and make it work for you. I think the painted style will appeal to a large crowd set. 

• 167 posts
    September 22, 2023 9:27 AM PDT

I'm not jumping for joy over the decision to change to this art style either, but I think people are going to react emotionally for a few days, after they have invested so much time and money, following this game.  

I get the change, I don't mind the look of most of it, but the trees and grass definitely don't look good enough.  I think this art style does have a chance to reach a larger population, but at the cost of losing some of the hardcore EQ1 old schoolers that have been supporting you guys for years.  So, half dozen of one and 6 of another. 

It does look a little childish, maybe you can add a little more "grit", to make it feel a little more mature.  Darken things up a bit, so it still has a more ominous feel than a happy go lucky feel.  I think that atmosphere, done in a hand painted style, could be pretty freaking cool.  

• 174 posts
    September 22, 2023 10:13 AM PDT

Had they stated in the beginning of development that this was the art style they were headed toward, I would not have given them $1000.00. I don't find myself looking forward to this game any longer. From I niche game, designed for a group of backers I find myself a part of, to a game now targeting a wider audience, that apparently I'm not part of, the game has changed, not for the better, in my opinion. I understand they are incapable of acheiving what they hoped, almost a decade ago, with a small team, and who knows, maybe they will surprise me in the end, but I doubt it.

I will continue to follow the games development, not with hope, but resignation...

• 441 posts
    September 22, 2023 10:57 AM PDT

Chimerical said:

Had they stated in the beginning of development that this was the art style they were headed toward, I would not have given them $1000.00. I don't find myself looking forward to this game any longer. From I niche game, designed for a group of backers I find myself a part of, to a game now targeting a wider audience, that apparently I'm not part of, the game has changed, not for the better, in my opinion. I understand they are incapable of acheiving what they hoped, almost a decade ago, with a small team, and who knows, maybe they will surprise me in the end, but I doubt it.

I will continue to follow the games development, not with hope, but resignation...

I do find this funny. Not making fun but that VR has always sold us in a spirtual eveloution of EQ1. Not on the promise of high end graphics. My self, anything that brings me this game promised. One of teaming that matters, classes that change team dynamics and all the other trapping of what modern MMOs are not doing. Then I dont care about the rest. VR has not changed the vision of what was sold. Just the art style. Changing this art style, allows this small team to move faster and deliver the game, they promised. Still happy I gave them money. 

• 102 posts
    September 22, 2023 9:02 PM PDT

The Patheon Plus post stream to this update pretty much encapsulates the good, the bad, and the critical. I'd recommend everyone give it a watch.

• 19 posts
    September 23, 2023 2:20 AM PDT

The art change was a very necessary and welcoming breath of fresh air. The amount of creep scope the team was facing was beyond their current load capacity.

Some people need to realize that graphics do not create great games, gameplay does. This is a sentiment everyone here should know by now.

This post was edited by Nenski at September 23, 2023 2:21 AM PDT
    • 30 posts
    September 23, 2023 2:49 AM PDT

Nenski said:

The art change was a very necessary and welcoming breath of fresh air. The amount of creep scope the team was facing was beyond their current load capacity.

Some people need to realize that graphics do not create great games, gameplay does. This is a sentiment everyone here should know by now.

No put if it is a style of graphic that you detest it is really offputting. It also sets the mood of the game.

Besides it is totally different from what have beenshown and talked about before.

Here is your ferrari but you can't get a red one instead you get a snot colored one with pictures of poop on it. IO know you already paid for it but no money back, take it or leave it.

• 902 posts
    September 23, 2023 5:45 AM PDT

I envy those that don't mind what the fantasy world they are playing in looks like, but I do. Some people can just concentrate on the game play, others need to feel that they could belong in the world. There is no wrong or right here! It just is. For me, the graphics are just as important as the game play. Without both, the game for me, is that much less than it should be. For me, the game now seems to be moving away from what I want. This is not right or wrong. It is just how it is. And to me, and by the looks of it, also for a lot of people here, it feels less than was suggested.

I don't want a kids game (engine or graphics). My opinion is neither right or wrong, it just is. I have the sad feeling that Pantheon and me won't have a happy ever after. But I will try. 

• 34 posts
    September 23, 2023 9:32 AM PDT

Brutenga said:

The Patheon Plus post stream to this update pretty much encapsulates the good, the bad, and the critical. I'd recommend everyone give it a watch.

~This~

P.S. Were those Druid Wandering Stones I saw?? O.O

This post was edited by flea at September 23, 2023 9:34 AM PDT
    • 48 posts
    September 24, 2023 9:47 AM PDT

Nenski said:

Art style does not add to creep scope. Modelling and Coding are handled by separate people and thus it does not interfere with each other. It is entirely pointless to sit and talk about creep scope in terms of art for the game.

Creep scope is constantly wanting to add new things to the game and quite frankly, the entire planning of this game reeks of: We have none.

They spend what, a good 4-5 years developing their pipeline or rather should I say, they spend 4-5 years NOT developing their pipeline, to realize they needed their pipeline in place, so they got it in place just to realize that they needed to redo - everything.

This is a complete downgrade from what we were shown just a few weeks ago in terms of models while we were promised "breath taking" art. This.. Is not it and honestly, they were hyping the new modeller guy/gal. This is just a complete disappointment to the point where most people would probably prefer it is redone. I'm not asking for FFXVI+ insanity graphics in which I can see every single pore in the skin, but man.. Come on. If I wanted to play Palia, that's what I would be playing.

I get it, potato PCs, but honestly. Upgrade your PC if it is so potato (I know I will in the coming months), 'cos frankly, I can't sit and scream like a little kid in the store that was denied candy, because I didn't want to invest in new parts. It is on the consumer to keep up, not VR.

And yes, I'm annoyed, but I was also prepared that a Brad project would likely end up like this, again, 'cos that man was not known for his... management skills in the gaming community.

This post was edited by Ashreon at September 24, 2023 9:56 AM PDT
    • 902 posts
    September 25, 2023 3:39 AM PDT

Some people need to realize that graphics do not create great games, gameplay does. This is a sentiment everyone here should know by now.

Some people are very self-righteous when it comes to thier opinions. And thats what these are, opinions only. They are neither valid nor invalid. But do not lecture like you are the Oracle of good game design.

Granted, good graphics do not improve a bad game, but bad graphics definitely lessen a good game. Graphics set the tone and expectation and influence the experience of a game. You see child friendly graphics, you expect a child friendly game. You see dark, scary graphics, you expect a game to make your heart race. You see cartoon graphics, you care less for the characters. You see realistic graphics and you become much more immersed. If the graphics marry with the essence of the game, then the game becomes greater than its parts. If they are at a juxtaposition, the game, no matter how good its engine, will feel off.

I agree that game play is the overriding concern, but graphics are a close second. You get that wrong and the game is definitely less that is should be. The difference here is that I am not claiming that I am right, this is my opinion.

Dont tell people what they should or should not know! Make your opinion known. If it is good enough, people will agree. In this case, I for one, dont!

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 25, 2023 3:41 AM PDT
    • 23 posts
    September 25, 2023 5:17 AM PDT

I think the new art is something VR had to do. Regarless of what you think or dont think. It had to be done. Not everyone will be happy about it and thats ok. You cant plz everyone. Me for one did not like it at first but it has grown on me and I do think it Can be really good art for the game. Only time can tell.

• 167 posts
    September 25, 2023 7:14 AM PDT

Whitewood said:

I think the new art is something VR had to do. Regarless of what you think or dont think. It had to be done. Not everyone will be happy about it and thats ok. You cant plz everyone. Me for one did not like it at first but it has grown on me and I do think it Can be really good art for the game. Only time can tell.

Exactly this.  VR hasn't suddenly decided to make a colorful game of fruit loops.  They are still making the same game, only they've been forced into a new art style so that we'll still get a game that plays and performs well.  I'm sure by the time it goes live, the art style will fit the narrative and everyone will have forgotten about these complaints.