Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Opinion - How hard do you push yourself?

• 9115 posts
    January 20, 2022 3:43 AM PST

Community Opinion - How hard do you push yourself when trying to achieve something in-game, for example, how long would you commit to going after an epic weapon, crafting recipe or rare boss drop? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

• 612 posts
    January 20, 2022 5:49 AM PST

I tend to only get hyper focused on game elements that are part of a valid upgrade path. If an Epic questline results in progress for my character, either from an item or an ability or the like, then I will keep working at it even if it took a time and effort. Yet if for some reason that questline would no longer result in progression, for example if I've gotten other upgrades that supersede the Epic questline and make it obsolete, then my focus will tend to drop and I will tend to only spend effort on that questline in a casual way just for a feeling of completion and a feeling of accomplishment, and only if it's not wasting time better spent on other goals that do result in progression and upgrades to my character.

I will also note that I am usually happy to take time to help friends and guildies with similar progression based goals, even if there is no direct progression for myself.

• 67 posts
    January 20, 2022 5:58 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Opinion - How hard do you push yourself when trying to achieve something in-game, for example, how long would you commit to going after an epic weapon, crafting recipe or rare boss drop? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

For me, it really depends on the reward. Is this (x) reward worth this (x) amount of time? If it is, then I will commit as much time as it takes (like for an epic, since they are usually best in slot in era or close to it out of era)...If its not really worth it, but its like a quality of life item or something, then I would just frequent an area and hope for a rare spawn or drop I would be much less likely to dedicate a large portion of time if a reward is not worth it. MMO's are notorious for sucking up time. Thats the goal for game designers - to keep you engaged and into the game as long as possible. So it really just boils down to how I feel about the reward or achievement - if it is something worth the time or not.

• 902 posts
    January 20, 2022 6:51 AM PST

I would push myself until I get it and it is still relevant to the game. If an epic item becomes less epic, for example, then there is no point in pursuing it. If something never looses its worth, then I would pursue it until I achieved it.

This post was edited by chenzeme at January 20, 2022 7:35 AM PST
    • 258 posts
    January 20, 2022 7:02 AM PST

I think I push as long as the content I'm running is entertaining, engaging and fun. If the task at hand is tedious or requires specific requirements that really shouldn't be implemented just because of how good or rare an item is, then I tend to either withdraw from it for a while or I just lose interest all together. But, depending how good a reward really is, which would really have to be something really cool, then I would consider doing it but without tediousness in it.

Now, if it's obtainable with a group setting then I rather group up than to solo a content that's grinding. To me, grouping is the max.

This post was edited by Arzoth at January 20, 2022 7:18 AM PST
    • 2419 posts
    January 20, 2022 7:14 AM PST

Kilsin said:

It becomes an all consuming drive with every possible hour dedicated to accomplishing whatever task I have before me.  Little to nothing else will matter.  I can do this because the number of hours I spend playing, upwards of 50 hours each and every week. It is how I enjoy these games.

• 624 posts
    January 20, 2022 8:18 AM PST

No longer have the time to commit to the push as I did in my youth. It's always been about the journey, not the destination for me, even moreso now. These days I tend to relax in the pub, strike up the lute, and swap stories more than spend weeks un-ending camping an ultra-rare spawn with a seriously unlikely drop rate just to snag a shiny bobble.

Hats off to those that can push that hard, I just don't find it as fun as it once was.

This post was edited by Kumu at January 20, 2022 8:21 AM PST
    • 394 posts
    January 20, 2022 8:56 AM PST

I just go with the flow, if things work out then thats great.

• 888 posts
    January 20, 2022 12:46 PM PST
    As long as the "going after" activity is fun. If its repetitive and has a small chance of success, I probably won't do it more than a few times. I'm not looking to have a second job, I'm looking to have fun.
    • 252 posts
    January 20, 2022 2:22 PM PST

I prefer to push if the quest takes me to intersting localles with unique tasks to accomplish, with the advantage that these quests can be easily put down and picked back up if you need to log out. But just sitting at a camp clearing placeholders, I probably have a few hours in me at most.

I may sit longer at a camp if the reward is good enough and if I can do it on the weekend. Although, the weekend is the most competitive time for a valuable camp.

This post was edited by Ruinar at January 20, 2022 2:23 PM PST
    • 438 posts
    January 20, 2022 3:22 PM PST
    Push myself as hard as my time allotment allows. These days I have an hour two max. If I have more time, push harder.
    • 35 posts
    January 20, 2022 4:05 PM PST

Kilsin said:

I only push myself when trying to figure out a mystery of some sort like quest elements or boss-fight mechanics. If "push myself" means grinding or camping for 8 hours to [maybe] get a chance to get the PGT, if it drops, I don't have that kind of time anymore.

TLDR - Dedication (and helping friends actually) = Push hard; Time-sink = Take breaks and maybe abandon camp altogether

• 2094 posts
    January 20, 2022 4:15 PM PST

Several people expressed my attitude, I'll just quote one.

Counterfleche said: I'm not looking to have a second job, I'm looking to have fun.

I don't consider what I do in a game as "pushing". It's just Playing. The more fun, the more I stay focused on playing. To me, the quickest way to make the game NOT-fun is to decide I "have" to get this one thing accomplished, no matter what it takes.

The only exception is if a friend has asked for help and I said yes. If they are in need - corpse run is a good example - then I'll push myself to keep trying until we succeed or THEY decide it's time to quit.

• 724 posts
    January 21, 2022 2:11 AM PST

For me it depends on what I'm after. For a very specific, class-defining item like an epic weapon, I'd certainly stick with it even if there's phases of camping required for it.

For other items, like "some drop" or "some recipe", I don't intend to fight the RNG forever. I'd certainly try to get it a few times, but after enough runs without success, I will give up (again, unless it's something really class defining). At some point these camps become a chore, and I then begin feeling like I'm wasting my time with something like that in a game that's supposed to be fun (of course, camps CAN be designed so they're fun even after the n-th time..).

If there are goals I can work towards, like "collect 99 of X to turn in for your reward", that's a different thing. If the amount required is not unrealistically high (like I know beforehand that I'll have to stay at this for months on end because of how often a mob spawns), it is a good way to allow players to do things at their own pace.

• 729 posts
    January 21, 2022 7:27 AM PST

Not very long at all.   I'm in the world to experience the chaos and feel wonder at what is around the corner or over the hill. I know I need items to progress and survive but this is just the design of the system.  Getting the shiney stick of irritating splinters from the boss is not needed so I don't desire it.  But I enjoy assisting others in their efforts because I enjoy seeing people interact and struggle for such items, because they seem happy when they get the item, and I enjoy seeing others enjoy themselves. Also it gives me a feeling of superiority and maturity watching them chase some pointless object, after which I can go make my virtual banana nut bread because clearly I have my priorities straight.   

• 627 posts
    January 21, 2022 8:39 AM PST
    As long as fun allowes be to continue. If there litteraly no chance to get a certain drop. I prefer to grund the money and trade for that item instead. If its a bind on pick up, i have No issue leaving some items behind.

There are some situations where i farmed for epic Monk rasta and warlord camp in EQ that was No fun and took many Weeks but that achivement i never forget. Mainly because on the absolutte tedious spawn rates..
    • 119 posts
    January 23, 2022 12:03 PM PST

Depends on how unique or useful the item / reward is.

If it is something easiely eclipsed in a few levels time, then no effortat all.

If it is a good upgrade for a long time, then some effort.

If it has a unique look or effect (even something just for fun like an illusion) then more effort.

As to what this equates to in play time - probably a week or two at the same area maxiumum with two or three hours a night.

• 258 posts
    January 23, 2022 1:37 PM PST

On a scale of how tedious or extreme is going for a said desired reward, here's my graph:

Wild wild west player-quit-influencer - having to work on things that require you to visit old zones, kill every single type of mob in the game and complete every hunting achievement there is, and working on every damn crafting recipe in the game where you need old items to make items that you know you'll never use.

Sour qwench method to not do it: Making an item or said reward difficult to achieve to find out it's obsolete next content or expansion.

Going the distance: did you say, "sailing through it"? *Cough* "A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when the rooster sings"

This post was edited by Arzoth at January 23, 2022 1:43 PM PST
    • 947 posts
    January 23, 2022 2:22 PM PST

Kilsin said:

It took me 15 years to get my SHD epic, but I finally got it (after quitting for 8-10 years because it frustrated me that I couldn't get something so iconic but required a raid force - while some classes could solo their epic);  Then quit the game again because it pissed me off that it took me so long... but I completed it just on principle. 

To answer the O.P., I became obsessed with that singular aspect of a much larger game and I forgot about the rest of the game's objectives entirely, so I had no reason to play it any more.

• 46 posts
    January 23, 2022 5:04 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Well it all denpends on how much fun I am having really. I never did go after an epic weapon in Everquest. I have more fun helping people go after their quests and objectives. I often just found my self soloing 

in the wilderness. That always seemed to be the most fun. Waiting for a boss to spon is just simply boring.

• 2 posts
    January 23, 2022 10:41 PM PST

I have to say it is dependant on the group of friends you are with, if you can get everyone interested in doing something, anything then you realy have no time, line the RNG gods have to shine on you one day and as long you your group are having fun and taking the piss out of each other then what could be better.

• 413 posts
    January 25, 2022 1:41 PM PST

What is really pushing yourself?

I am will to stay consistant and work towards a goal.  I will need to break it up into gaming many many sessions

I will not sacrifice real life health for the sake of a epic weapon.  You know those long gaming sessions for 12 hours or more, were static Chi energy sit in your vital organs for weeks, then you get sick, but you keep gaming because your elite, then sickness leads to disease, so the doctor gives you medications and tell you to get some exersize, but no your hardcore so you keep gaming until organ failure.  At this point write down your passwords so someone can get into your account, just in case something happens.

Or do you mean doing push ups next to the desk in-between group pulls as a means of "pushing yourself"?  Because if you just sitting there you just pushing keys and looking at a screen for hours on end, it's not healthy.  Maybe a gaming treadmill?

The only way I can play Pantheon longterm, is to stay healthy.   So I would prefer ways to complete Epic quests in shorter game sessions over a longer period of time.  it's a Win Win - I am paying a monthly subscription and don't Kill all your content in 3 months.

Sorry I don't mean to be so dark about it.  I am just a gamer over the age of 50, and would like to continue to enjoy MMOs for a long time, so I must strike a balance in all things, so I can still play in my 80's in Pantheon 3.

This post was edited by Zevlin at January 25, 2022 1:58 PM PST
    • 1289 posts
    January 25, 2022 1:45 PM PST

As long as it is fun and challenging I'll go for years.  I guess one "requirement" for me is that the item should still hold value by the time I get it haha.  That goes without saying I know, but I'm easily pleased so my answer is pretty simple.  If it's fun, and challenging, and I don't outlevel the reward before I get it, there is no time limit that matters to me.  

• 326 posts
    January 25, 2022 6:04 PM PST

I detest being at the mercy of RNG on a long quest chain. Hard work and coordination are legit, RNG is not. Do not waste my time.

• 220 posts
    January 27, 2022 11:42 AM PST

"how long would you commit to going after an epic weapon, crafting recipe or rare boss drop?"

All 3 option are time consuming but I would rather go with Crafting but it won't be gratifying or having a sense of achievement.

Only because epic weapon and rare boss drop require guild, party, or pug group just to achieve what I want. When I login other players busy doing their own thing so it'll take even longer and I'll have to setup an appointment on guild discord etc one-time a week just to try and hope RNG favor me but once achieved then I'll get that "epic accomplished" feeling!