Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Streaming players are OK for me.

• 727 posts
    November 3, 2021 12:13 PM PDT

I'm currently in an operating room typing this.  I'm OK, and I'm not getting anything done to me.  Although, I could use a little fat taken out or a fix to my flat feet but I'm here working on some biomedical equipment.  I'm running a test and I have to wait for it to finish, plus I can't leave without going through a cleaning/ dressing sterile process.  So here I sit wishing I could watch 20 minutes of someone trying to take a camp of goblins outside thronefast or diving into the bog in wildsend.  But instead, I type this and wonder if my Halfling Ranger will be able to bake Banana Nut Bread.  Hope all are well. 

p.s.  streaming players in Pantheon I am thinking will not be as cringe as other games because they mostly will have to work in a team and the ones I'll look to watch will be support players.  The players that can keep a wide lens on the goings on.  The streamer that can incorporate a cinematic and directorial style will be the most valuable

This post was edited by StoneFish at November 3, 2021 12:18 PM PDT
    • 2053 posts
    November 4, 2021 4:49 PM PDT

I have no problem with 'commercial' streamers because I don't think they will be a big problem overall. By commercial, I mean streamers who post their streams online as some type of business, with the desire to make income from them.

I expect most streamers to show up when the game is new. Once the 'New Game' hoopla dies down, I expect the number of streamers to diminish. A bunch of streamers in the first month or two is fine by me, more exposure means more players.

Some new streamers will no doubt keep playing. While they will no doubt have friends/guilds in the game, their legions of followers will have to subscribe and pay to keep joining in when the streamer broadcasts.They'll also have to actually play and level up to keep joining the streamer's adventures as he/she also levels up. To me, they are now just paying customers. Good on them.

Since the 'free trial' is limited (by level, by access to areas beyond starter cities, by chat channels, hopefully by time in some way), it won't be possible for fans to start a new free trial to come along for fun and chaos, once the streamer gets past Level 10 or thereabouts.

As VR has emphasized more than once, they intend to work at limiting the number of significant 'bottlenecks' to adventuring advancement as much as possible. So even an irritating streamer and his kindred fans being a bother should hopefully be a fairly isolated incident, that may annoy me occasionally but shouldn't really be an obstacle to playing and having fun.

And shoot, if they bother you......just train them!

• 145 posts
    December 16, 2021 7:57 PM PST

I am a streamer albeit a small one but I wont ever be the type to train others etc i just dont do that. Those who do it has nothing to do with them being a streamer for the most part if they werent streaming theyd be trainning ppl and there are plenty of non streamers who do it. The only difference is the streamer is being recorded so its in the public eye.

• 2053 posts
    December 16, 2021 10:59 PM PST

stonetothebone85 said:

I am a streamer albeit a small one but I wont ever be the type to train others etc i just dont do that. Those who do it has nothing to do with them being a streamer for the most part if they werent streaming theyd be trainning ppl and there are plenty of non streamers who do it. The only difference is the streamer is being recorded so its in the public eye.

Hi Stoney. I didn't make it clear, but my "if they bother you......just train them!" remark was intended humorously.

In case you don't know, Ben Dean - one of the Devs and the Communications Director of VR - once jokingly said something just like it in a stream. Since then, it's been a popular quote on the forums.

I hope to see you streaming the game when we all get in.

• 145 posts
    December 17, 2021 3:26 AM PST

oh ok lol