Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

The Feeble Path. Imaging the chaos possible

• 727 posts
    March 6, 2021 10:25 AM PST
    The feeble path

A shortcut in the world that only allows passage if the player carries no weapons or metallic armor in a bag or on their person.
    The area is short and populated with mobs that path/patrol, but are otherwise only a danger if you don't avoid them.
    Engaging is worthless, as they drop very little if anything at all, besides a meat that spoils within and hour* game time. Fresh meat (<hour) can be used in a recipe but it must be done fast and it's fail rate is very high. Tastes like the underside of a sweaty baboon
    Whatever it is used in spoils within a day.
    There is a public box for discarded weapons outside the entrances.
    Spells can be used if they require no weapons.
    Use of offensive spells alerts all mobs to presence at full hate for everyone.

Should be a path between?_______________________?

Your answer should not exceed 100 characters
    I will not read the long ones.

* Variable

• 500 posts
    March 8, 2021 11:35 AM PST

Why would anyone do such a thing?

• 727 posts
    March 8, 2021 3:38 PM PST
    A shortcut. I have to deliver these berries to Grandma Halfling and I don't want it to take all day. I drop my gear and buff myself after charming a sweet druid and off I go on a micro adventure hoping I don't cross paths with anything I can't handle. By taking the shortcut I avoid going all the way south around the mountains and then back north to town.
    • 2053 posts
    March 9, 2021 3:50 PM PST

Unless the path had valuable, unique rewards I don't really believe that the risks would be worth the rewards for very many players, including me.

• 727 posts
    March 10, 2021 12:04 PM PST

That's excellent.  Yes.  This is a path that has value in that it is very often not used.

A special value one finds only when an unexpected need arrives in the game play.  

If one player a week passed through, success.   If a secret lays hidden for a long time? Great.  

You don't know why it should be there or what use it is?  So,,,,a mystery to you why it's there?  A mystery?  

I was playing with little ideas about creating disruptive elements.  My first instincts, as you know me Jothany, would be for a dragon to drop a golden poo that was so heavy no one could move it.  There it lay, and upon further successful attacks upon dragons more immovable golden poo would proliferate.  The mystery of the golden poo. Until someone solves the riddle.   But felt the feebleness path was a better idea.  But I still kind of like the gold poo idea.

This post was edited by StoneFish at March 17, 2021 2:30 PM PDT
    • 2053 posts
    March 10, 2021 10:10 PM PST

"The Path of Golden Poo" has a nice ring to it. (watch your step!)

:D

• 2053 posts
    April 4, 2021 1:35 PM PDT

Perhaps the "Feeble Path" leads to a different destination every time you use it. The 'landing spot' is guaranteed safe, but that guarantee only covers two steps in any direction. Good Luck!

• 727 posts
    April 4, 2021 3:20 PM PDT
    Ah. That's a good twist. The path should still be considered a short-cut I think, but the exit point could be random, though not completely random. If the exit is on the north side of the mountain range the play is attempting to avoid going around then the random element you propose could be one of 10 spots still allowing a shorter trip but a few spots are within a camp of enemies. So maybe you use up the time sneaking out of the camp that you may have saved by avoiding the trip around the range. 7 out of ten times you exit in a safer space and one out of ten you land near a short walk into town. That could generate memorable stories.