Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Southpaw?

• 4 posts
    June 14, 2019 2:30 PM PDT

I was wondering if there will be an option to switch stance at character creation between orthodox and southpaw stance. Probably not be a big deal but could help with immersion.

• 560 posts
    June 14, 2019 7:50 PM PDT

Ok I am curious now, I felt like this was a very clear question and so I have to ask. I read the question as a request to have the option to change from right to left handed. Not sure how this would only count towards monks. @malttam please explain more.

I am not left handed and so I have very little desire to have the option and I am sure if given the choice would rather, they spent the development time on other things. That being said I do think it would be a cool option to see in all games. The few times a game has forced me to play left handed it bothered me.

• 4 posts
    June 14, 2019 10:07 PM PDT

I was talking about every class in general. Like holding a sword on the left and and shield on the right. I wasn't talking about monk. Reason is I'm left handed, so I would feel more true to my character if i have that option.

• 372 posts
    June 14, 2019 10:21 PM PDT

Welcome to the forums!  

I have no idea obviously - but I expect it would create extra work for the animators and I doubt there is enough demand.

• 1404 posts
    June 15, 2019 12:08 AM PDT

Question was easy enough to understand "southpaw" = left handed, pretty simple.

I'm pretty sure it won't be a priority for a small team. My first thought was a full new set of animations (major ordeal)

But then I got to wondering, is Unity capable of mirroring an animation, like a CAD system is capable of mirroring a feature? Or a CAM system mirroring a motion?

It could actually be reasonably simple.

• 313 posts
    June 15, 2019 7:47 PM PDT

Just put a mirror in front of your monitor and you're good to go.  

But seriously, this kind of feature isn't something you should expect in an indie MMO.   

• 17 posts
    June 18, 2019 6:21 PM PDT
    I think it was a very good question and I really liked the response Zorkon gave. Thats how game changing breakthroughs happen. Asking the question, can this be done? Continue to ask thought provoking questions my friend. And please don't be discouraged from negative comments. There will always be someone out there trying to prove to everyone how smart they are, right up until the point where your idea becomes reality.
    • 1120 posts
    June 19, 2019 12:37 PM PDT

I honestly agree that the question lacked clarity.   Orthodox and southpaw are common terms used in MMA/boxing or other combat sports.  Noone one says "weve got an orthodox batter stepping up to the plate" or "hes the best southpaw quarterback weve seen in a while".

If he just asked can we make our characters right or left handed it would have been much much clearer.

• 1404 posts
    June 19, 2019 9:55 PM PDT

Mojorizen said: I think it was a very good question and I really liked the response Zorkon gave. Thats how game changing breakthroughs happen. Asking the question, can this be done? Continue to ask thought provoking questions my friend. And please don't be discouraged from negative comments. There will always be someone out there trying to prove to everyone how smart they are, right up until the point where your idea becomes reality.

With the recent conversations from Bazgrim, and Brad, this should be a thing the Unity team should be looking at applying to there base engine. It could be a routine thing for all future Unity built games like you mention Mojorizen. 

Unity peeps, step up! We do this in CAD/CAM every day.

• 4 posts
    June 19, 2019 10:28 PM PDT

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. I can see where my question can be confusing. I do mma on the side, so I commonly use those terms. 

Back on topic. There is two reason I would like this option. The first reason is that I’m a lefty. The second reason is when I saw the screenshot, everyone is facing in one direction when posing. I just thought it would be neat to see some diversity.

like I said this is not a big deal. Just a thought.

• 3237 posts
    June 19, 2019 10:30 PM PDT

The newsletter from today actually featured a left-handed character:

• 4 posts
    June 19, 2019 11:14 PM PDT

That’s bad ass. Thanks for sharing.

• 1281 posts
    June 25, 2019 3:51 PM PDT

Are you sure she is left handed?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 25, 2019 3:52 PM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    June 25, 2019 7:23 PM PDT

Apparently pretty easy and built in to Unity.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/mirroring-an-animation.474099/

• 316 posts
    June 25, 2019 11:06 PM PDT
    Very cool!