Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Two things I hope are not added to the game

• 10 posts
    March 2, 2015 5:18 PM PST

I half agree with not having maps.  I do really like having the ability to look at a map but I don't think it should be as simple as running around and filling in the blanks.  This all ties in to my ideal of being in a 'realistic' and 'immersive' game (which I believe is what Patheon is all about).  I was just talking about this idea when I saw Monty's post of my exact thought - a cartography tradeskill would be really cool (and realistic).  In this format, those who do not want a map would not have one; maybe they would have to ask people they pass "which way to Gladewillow?", stop and ask guards or patrols, just learn the zone through trial and error, etc.  Then there would be the cartographers - the people that make maps.  I don't suggest this be an easy task, and at this point in my thinking on this I don't have many suggestions on how this tradeskill would level.  It wouldn't, however, be as simple as running through the zone and clearing the map.  Maybe your maps become more detailed as your skill increases.  Maybe as someone else suggested, you could sell your maps to other players, which would involve buying paper and inscribing a copy of your map.  It's definitely an aspect that hasn't been touched in any modern MMO's to my knowledge and is a way to cater to players from either school of thought.

• 11 posts
    March 2, 2015 8:59 PM PST

I'd be okay with maps if you have to fill them in yourself and they don't give too much detail and allowing us to add our own notes. Oh, I found bears over here, let me make a note. Etc.

• 383 posts
    March 2, 2015 9:24 PM PST

Motocycles and bunny ears or any kind of irl modern accessory like baseball caps....

• 3016 posts
    March 2, 2015 9:33 PM PST

Definitely like the cartography skill idea.  :)

• 44 posts
    March 3, 2015 5:54 AM PST

Agree with OP

• 201 posts
    March 3, 2015 6:19 AM PST

I like the idea of no gear ratings.  

Maps I could partly agree with as well.  However in this day and age, there is always going to be a way to get a map in the game  or of the game regardless if it's included or not.  But I agree, it does make things interesting when you have no waypoint to point you in the direction you need to go.

• 383 posts
    March 3, 2015 6:43 AM PST

I would love to not have a map/mini map at all, or if we do have a map it needs to be bare bones and let us make notes on it and save those notes on the server just in case we lose a computer or something.

I would also not like to not have colored gear ratings. I'm cool with written words on the item description of rarity, though I don't like the white/green/blue/purple/orange coloring. In EQ it wasn't as simple as that... you actually had to know what was good for your class.

• 763 posts
    September 15, 2017 11:07 AM PDT

Hmmm, I know the search function is not great on these forums ...
    ... but the idea of the DEV forums is to keep ideas together as much as possible for the sake of the DEVs

A. If it is 'what you don't want to find' there are already a couple of threads on that... chiefly :

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2677/what-do-you-not-want-to-see/view/post_id/38241

... though I should point out that :

Kilsin said: As I have posted previously, posts like "Don't do this" or "What I don't want to see..." etc. do not help us at all, so I am going to go ahead and close this, please focus on things that you want to see and have a bit of faith in us to make the right decisions on things like this for our game ;)

B. If it is maps/cartography you want to discuss, then can I point you at:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2420/maps-of-various-kinds

plus ....

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6064/not-having-in-game-maps

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/988/world-maps

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2962/mapping-mini-maps-quest-arrows

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1766/ordanance-survey-style-maps

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6086/scribe-crafting-maps

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2241/a-cartography-skill

For the VIPs amongst you:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5613/maps-no-maps

And this clip:

00:56:00 - Maps

... and for those of you who think things through further ...

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6657/treasure-maps

Hope that helps!

Evoras, likes the idea of Scribes and Cartography

• 793 posts
    September 15, 2017 11:39 AM PDT

Evoras said:

... but the idea of the DEV forums is to keep ideas together as much as possible for the sake of the DEVs 

This thread was 2.5 years old!!  :) Are you a necormancer?  ;)

• 1468 posts
    September 15, 2017 11:42 AM PDT

Fulton said:

Evoras said:

This thread was 2.5 years old!!  :) Are you a necormancer?  ;)

I found it highly amusing that he necrod a thread telling the OP to use the search feature when all the threads he linked are newer than this thread.

Edit: That sounded like I was being mean. Sorry I didn't mean it like that :). I was just genuinely amused by the mistake.

This post was edited by Cromulent at September 15, 2017 11:44 AM PDT
    • 174 posts
    September 15, 2017 12:22 PM PDT

Doh

• 2886 posts
    September 15, 2017 12:27 PM PDT

Hmm yeah that is confusing haha. There's nothing wrong with necroing a thread, but I'm gonna assume he was replying to a comment that got deleted? Although Evo has been known to talk to himself sometimes :P

This post was edited by Bazgrim at September 15, 2017 12:28 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    September 15, 2017 2:56 PM PDT

I've actually seen a few threads here and there with no comments from recent months showing up on the front page.

• 1404 posts
    September 15, 2017 4:26 PM PDT

At least in normal Evoras fashion, he did it with flair! Is that an awesome post or what. He covered everything even with Video.

• 9115 posts
    September 15, 2017 6:08 PM PDT

So efficient Evoras, I love it! haha :D

• 287 posts
    September 16, 2017 8:49 AM PDT

I would like a cloth map.

• 1095 posts
    September 17, 2017 1:29 PM PDT

Niien said:

Motocycles and bunny ears or any kind of irl modern accessory like baseball caps....

what about santa hats?

• 2886 posts
    September 18, 2017 6:13 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Maybe he has a time machine. He could have anticipated someone's question before they even asked it lol.

• 624 posts
    September 18, 2017 6:26 AM PDT

It's not the Mighty E, but his backpack cat whispering the future into his ear

• 9115 posts
    September 18, 2017 6:58 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Kilsin said:

Maybe he has a time machine. He could have anticipated someone's question before they even asked it lol.

Hahaha, if anyone could do it, it would be Evoras! :D

• 21 posts
    September 20, 2017 12:09 AM PDT

Feyreisa said:

I half agree with not having maps.  I do really like having the ability to look at a map but I don't think it should be as simple as running around and filling in the blanks.  This all ties in to my ideal of being in a 'realistic' and 'immersive' game (which I believe is what Patheon is all about).  I was just talking about this idea when I saw Monty's post of my exact thought - a cartography tradeskill would be really cool (and realistic).  In this format, those who do not want a map would not have one; maybe they would have to ask people they pass "which way to Gladewillow?", stop and ask guards or patrols, just learn the zone through trial and error, etc.  Then there would be the cartographers - the people that make maps.  I don't suggest this be an easy task, and at this point in my thinking on this I don't have many suggestions on how this tradeskill would level.  It wouldn't, however, be as simple as running through the zone and clearing the map.  Maybe your maps become more detailed as your skill increases.  Maybe as someone else suggested, you could sell your maps to other players, which would involve buying paper and inscribing a copy of your map.  It's definitely an aspect that hasn't been touched in any modern MMO's to my knowledge and is a way to cater to players from either school of thought.

This is an amzaing idea. And I don't know why you don't see mroe of it in mmos. The leveling would have to be done by:

1. The more time you spend in a particular area, the more the skill goes up and the more detailed you can make that particular area when you make or EDIT a map (gaining xp)

2. the higher your related skills are the better you can make the maps (sculpting, handicrafting, leatherworking, tapestry, etc)

3. Inking skilsl would go up. "Writing scripts and glyphs, tattoing people (tattoo skill anyone??? you know for like giving peopel powers and strengthing armor, strength, etc)

there is this manga/manhwa I have been reading lately called "The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor" where all of the skills relate and influence other skills. The characters have to use those skills to level them up, and they give advantages to combat ad non-combat skills. Like sculpting helps his sword skills and speed and stuff, tailoring helps boost is strength adn speed and stamina. Some great idea there.