Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How long has it been?

• 9115 posts
    January 17, 2019 3:59 AM PST

How long have you been gaming for? #MMORPG #communitymatters

• 11 posts
    January 17, 2019 4:15 AM PST

I started in early 2000 with EQ,  Man it has been 19 years on and off. :) 

• 430 posts
    January 17, 2019 4:45 AM PST

Since the mid 80's , I feel old now . lol 

• 3852 posts
    January 17, 2019 4:47 AM PST

Spouse got me involved with one or two MUDs before EQ.

Then I went back to single player games for years.

When I returned to multiplayer - for good - I had to choose between Asheron's Call and EQ. Naturally I made the wrong choice ((blush)). When I left AC, fairly quickly, I chose between EQ and Dark Ages of Camelot. Since I enjoyed  DAOC for four years I won't say I made the wrong choice but I never did get to EQ.

This post was edited by dorotea at January 17, 2019 4:48 AM PST
    • 12 posts
    January 17, 2019 4:52 AM PST

earliest I can remember is 89 because I remember playing the same day the Berlin wall fell. Probably played earlier but this is at least a certain instance I can pinpoint.

I had no idea why it meant anything but we got to stay up late.

This post was edited by Revox at January 17, 2019 4:55 AM PST
    • 438 posts
    January 17, 2019 5:10 AM PST
    Started with NES in 89.. been playing consoles ever since. Computer games in mid 90s, good classics like Doom and Duke Nukem. MMOs in 99 when EQ came out.
    • 107 posts
    January 17, 2019 5:19 AM PST
    Since mid/late 80's starting with console games. Then MMO's when released. A smattering of table-tops and MTG in between. ... So, a good long while.
    • 61 posts
    January 17, 2019 5:30 AM PST

I refuse to answer on the grounds it may add more wrinkles.

• 234 posts
    January 17, 2019 5:33 AM PST

Since the mid 90's with table top RPG, then EQ in 1999...

Well I guess if you count PONG or Arcades then back into the 80's somewhere. 

This post was edited by azaya at January 17, 2019 5:34 AM PST
    • 644 posts
    January 17, 2019 5:34 AM PST

I started with TV-connected home gaming systems like Atari around 1978, then home PC's like the TI 994/A and Apple IIe.

During high school we played a text based star trek game in our programming clas, then in college I started playing online games.

My first MUD was "Monster" which was a text based system but had up to 96 players - we even had guilds.

In the 90's we were playing network games at lunch like Descent and Quake.

Then in 1999 a good friend introduced us to EQ.  I played EQ (20-40 hours/week) for about five years.  Those were the days when people would call in sick to work to go on a raid or because a mob was scheduled to spawn.  After GoD I would way down and left the game, came back, left again, played WoW for a year, played progression EQ, etc.  Basically just killing time.

Constantly dabbling while waiting for that world experience again.

• 124 posts
    January 17, 2019 5:43 AM PST

Well . . . i was born in the start of the 80's, and my mother probably played peekaboo with me, which is technically a game, does that count?

When it comes to computer games, i believe i started around the age of 8, so that would be early 90's. Playing minesweeper, stunts, arcade pinball, arcade snooker, hangman simple games but than again didn't have acces to many 'real' games. That started around my teen's when i got in contact with some other school friends who were, for their time, far ahead. Having multiple computers and even point to point lan connections. (crosscables, yay!)

So all in all, i geuss i been a gamer all my life and never grew up in that sence.

• 1281 posts
    January 17, 2019 6:16 AM PST

Kilsin said:

How long have you been gaming for? #MMORPG #communitymatters

I've been gaming since the 1970s.  Computer gaming since the 1980s.  Playing MUDs and MMOs since the 1990s.  Although I gave up on the MMO genre after the failure that was Vanguard.

• 142 posts
    January 17, 2019 6:41 AM PST

Does Pong count?

Cuz I distinctly remember sitting in front of the tv playing Pong with my brother. It was revolutionary!

This, of course, led to Atari with Combat being the ultimate PVP game.

• 178 posts
    January 17, 2019 6:44 AM PST

General Gaming?
    from 1987... green monitors FTW!

MMOs? runescape2 on internet explorer 6 around ~2004, still hate this game :) 

• 23 posts
    January 17, 2019 7:18 AM PST

fazool said:

I started with TV-connected home gaming systems like Atari around 1978, then home PC's like the TI 994/A and Apple IIe.

During high school we played a text based star trek game in our programming clas, then in college I started playing online games.

My first MUD was "Monster" which was a text based system but had up to 96 players - we even had guilds.

In the 90's we were playing network games at lunch like Descent and Quake.

Then in 1999 a good friend introduced us to EQ.  I played EQ (20-40 hours/week) for about five years.  Those were the days when people would call in sick to work to go on a raid or because a mob was scheduled to spawn.  After GoD I would way down and left the game, came back, left again, played WoW for a year, played progression EQ, etc.  Basically just killing time.

Constantly dabbling while waiting for that world experience again.

Pretty much what was said here.

I gamed on Atari and Comordore VIC 20 in the 70's, Comordore 64 in the 80's, Amiga 500 in the early 90's, and finally playing every type of RPG since that time on Windows based systems.

The Kingdom of Drakkar was my first MUD with graphics in the mid 90's.

I played EQ non stop from release until WoW was released.

I have been playing WoW ever since 2004 until now.  A lot less over the last few years, but still hard to step away with so much time invested.

I am very hungry for a new RPG and I have faith that Pantheon will be what I have been needing for a long time, but I do have doubts that I will ever be able to play like I did in my younger years.

• 72 posts
    January 17, 2019 7:21 AM PST
    I started in 1999 with Everquest. I played for about 6 years and I have never found a game to take EQs place.
    • 228 posts
    January 17, 2019 7:23 AM PST

Since 1986 or '87 when I bought my first computer, an Amiga 2000.

My MMO career began shortly after EQ2 launched, whenever that was...

This post was edited by Jabir at January 17, 2019 7:24 AM PST
    • 230 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:05 AM PST

Well ignoring board games and cards. Started with D&D in 1976 then switched to AD&D as books became available. Through 1996 it was one table top game or another (Vampire:The masquarade, then their mage and werewolf....and many others). Then a MUD called mortal realms. Then MMORPGs from 2000 on.

• 10 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:06 AM PST

I started in EQ with my dad, I can't remember the year but I had to be around 1999 or so. I played EQ1 and then moved to EQ2, WOW after that, took a break from MMORGP and moved to MOBA's I currently still log on to EQ1 and play my bard from time to time, but the level gap makes it impossible to play because I am so far behind most players. 

• 696 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:17 AM PST

Started gaming when I was around 3 or 4, so 1994-95. Started with Doom 2 with my Dad. Went into Rogue Spear as my first online game ever, was a blast. Next big game I played was EQ in 2000 when Kunark came out. Played on the new server Zebnzorouk, or however you spell it, and played EQ basically up until Omens of War with Wall of Slaughter being the last zone I played in. I then pre ordered WoW with my bro and played that for awhile while playing Counter Strike 1.6, but mainly Counter Strike Source for like 5 years. Those are probably the games I have played the longest. I have played 100s of games in my life though, like Unreal Tournament, Medal of Honor series, the other Rogue Spears, Empire Earth, Starcraft, Aion, a ton of Console games. I now do remember I played SOCOM online for a few years on the PS2. Played a ton of single player games throughout the life span also.

Pretty much played every genre of game since 1994. Good times.

• 1785 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:26 AM PST

Online?  I started playing Shadowdale MUD in my first year of college, 1995.  Some folks in the dorms introduced me to it, we would play on the VT100 terminals in the Math lab.

I think my Dad brought home an Atari 2600 when I was like 8?  So that would have been 1984ish.  I got an NES for my birthday in 1986.  So in terms of offline games, I've been doing it for more than 3/4 of my life now :)

• 206 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:43 AM PST

Since early 90's. So around 26 years of gaming. I'd say I qualify for gamer discount at most shops.

• 259 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:56 AM PST

Replying to @PantheonMMO

OMG, I knew this would come up some day, HaHa. It was 1973 or 74, I was 13 or 14 years old, we were living in Montgomery Alabama and my Dad was coding Cobol and Fortran for the Air Force. The input medium at that time was Punch Cards. :)

There was a 7-11 just down the road from our house. My brother and I walked in one day and we saw what looked like a small cabinet sitting by the front window. It was black and white and had buttons on it and there was a slot for quarters. Of course we had to see what it was lol.

It turned out to be new type of game. It was a game that was built inside of a box. Can you guess what it was? This new type of game was called Pong! Well we dropped a quarter in and there was this very small screen that looked like a small TV on its side.

There was a line down the middle dividing the screen in half. On either side was a very small line. When you started the game a very small round dot came on the screen heading to one side. After playing around with the buttons we realized the side lines were paddles.

It was like playing a very small, scaled down version of ping pong. Man did we drop a lot of quarters in that cabinet at 7-11. That was my first encounter with this new type of gaming. It has evolved into what we have today, the long-awaited release of @PantheonMMO

• 7 posts
    January 17, 2019 8:58 AM PST

Hmm Since 86-87 i think, can't remember exactly :) C64,Amiga 500 and NES <3  

• 38 posts
    January 17, 2019 9:04 AM PST

I got a playstation for christmas in '96 with Crash Bandicoot when I was 5 years old, earliest memory I can recall.  

my first MMO? embarrassingly World of Warcraft in like... 2010 maybe? I was a very late bloomer to PC gaming.