Forums » News and Announcements

Newsletter Update

• 9115 posts
    January 9, 2019 3:03 PM PST

Hi Folks,

I wanted to let you all know that we have pushed the Newsletter back to the 3rd week of every month to help give us a bit more time to organise the newsletter. Nothing else has changed but it just gives us a more consistent timeframe to work with as sometimes with our current release format (second Wednesday of each month) the newsletter needed to be released in the first week and other times the second week and it made it confusing for everyone.

So now you can look forward to a set release timeframe and we get a bit more time to fill the newsletter with more shiny things!

I hope you're all enjoying 2019 so far and we can't wait to show off some more of our hard work in the coming months, so stay tuned.

Kind Regards

Ben (Kils)

• 26 posts
    January 9, 2019 3:42 PM PST

Thanks for the update Ben! Looking forward to this month's newsletter!

• 230 posts
    January 9, 2019 4:28 PM PST

NOOOOOO!!!! LOL.

Thanks for the update.

• 206 posts
    January 9, 2019 4:33 PM PST

Sounds good. Can't wait =)

• 1019 posts
    January 9, 2019 6:01 PM PST

It doesn't actually give you more time.  There are still 30 days in a month (28, 30, 31, sometimes 29 but you catch my drift.)  So unless the work for the newsletter begins on the 1st then ok, that'll give you more time but that just sounds silly.  Once one newsletter is done the work on the next one should begin, so regardless of the release date, you always have the same amount of time.

• 3 posts
    January 9, 2019 6:50 PM PST

Kittik said:

It doesn't actually give you more time.  There are still 30 days in a month (28, 30, 31, sometimes 29 but you catch my drift.)  So unless the work for the newsletter begins on the 1st then ok, that'll give you more time but that just sounds silly.  Once one newsletter is done the work on the next one should begin, so regardless of the release date, you always have the same amount of time.

Could be as in how the dev schdule and meetings are internally? More time as in Schduleing around thier internal stuff to produce more info for us?

• 1992 posts
    January 9, 2019 6:59 PM PST

Kittik said:

Once one newsletter is done the work on the next one should begin, so regardless of the release date, you always have the same amount of time.

Without being privy to the inner workings of VR, I'm nevertheless going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that it's very unlikely that the newsletter is someone's full time job at VR. It is most likely one of many duties that some one or a couple of individuals have. As such, it is a duty that gets allocated some number of hours out of a busy schedule. It is therefore quite reasonable that the responsible person or persons might have more time available to devote to the newsletter in the 3rd. week of any given month than in the 1st. week. Philosophical treatises notwithstanding.

• 14 posts
    January 9, 2019 7:11 PM PST

Thanks Ben!! We'll staying tuned!!!!!

• 2886 posts
    January 9, 2019 7:26 PM PST

Kittik said:

Well I can imagine that due to the holidays, there isn't really enough to report about in the January newsletter, so delaying it this month makes sense. But if they were to then release it on the second week of next month, they would have one less week, so yes it indeed does give them more time. Beyond that, maybe their workflow is projected to have the more significant game updates done around the middle of the month, so they'll do the newsletter on the third week so they can include news about those updates in that month's newsletter.

• 768 posts
    January 9, 2019 9:49 PM PST

I'm glad to hear you've adressed this matter. I still kept me wondering.. the 3rd week, do you mean by that..the monday of that 3rd week or just any day after (3x7days) the 21st of each month?

And what if the month starts halfway a week or on a thursday...are we looking at newsletters at the 24th?

You don't need to reply to that if you don't want to. I'm as eager to read newsletters as anyone, but I'll read it as they are posted in what timeframe you see fit. 

Thanks again for the heads up.

• 4 posts
    January 9, 2019 10:42 PM PST

awesome job. now we have true news to read unlike in real life of all the lies and drama.

• 205 posts
    January 9, 2019 11:42 PM PST
    Ok
    • 217 posts
    January 10, 2019 1:02 AM PST

Kittik said:

My first insta-thought was the same, 30 days is 30 days but then I put some thought into it and realized that as Kilsin said, it has more to do with scheduling and workflow. 

We all obviously would love to have as much new news as possible and as soon as possible as we are chomping at the bit to have this game to play and every newsletter gives us more insight to the game and VRs vision.

I personally am enthused to know they plan to have it be more regularly scheduled and less likely to be pushed back at all in the future due to this change. I appreciate stability and being given heads up not only to the change but knowing the reasons why.

Thnx Guys!

This post was edited by vigilantee13 at January 10, 2019 1:04 AM PST
    • 230 posts
    January 10, 2019 5:50 AM PST

So do you consider the 16th or the 23rd as the 3rd Wednesday?

• 9115 posts
    January 10, 2019 6:08 AM PST

DracoKalen said:

So do you consider the 16th or the 23rd as the 3rd Wednesday?

The 16th is the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

• 55 posts
    January 10, 2019 1:51 PM PST

Awesome!

Cant wait to see what the next couple of months bring.

• 2138 posts
    January 11, 2019 8:01 AM PST

I know we want the newsletter, but I dont want the newsletter to be a chore on the VR side. I mean I dont want it to be a - oh shoot, we need to put out a newsletter- kind of thing. I mean if its dec 8th, and then Jan 15th rolls around and they're like oh shoot we forgot the newsletter with the holidays n such. I can handle that.  So they put one together by end of jan and decide what to include in Feb while they are putting together Jan. Push the other out in mid Feb with the stuff they discussed in Jan plus anything else they can add off the cuff (*opens the door to the art room and the new art people* "art folks, got any screenshots we can add to the newsleter? the more the better")closer to the Feb publishing date while they get back into the swing of things and then "roughly" every month.

• 363 posts
    January 11, 2019 2:13 PM PST

I like turtles...

• 230 posts
    January 11, 2019 4:29 PM PST

I like pie...

• 36 posts
    January 12, 2019 12:28 AM PST

Cake likes turtles and pie...

This post was edited by Drauk4131 at January 12, 2019 12:29 AM PST
    • 1 posts
    January 12, 2019 1:49 PM PST

Thanks for the updated timeline!

• 294 posts
    January 13, 2019 6:20 AM PST

Thanks for the update.

• 2886 posts
    January 14, 2019 2:17 PM PST

Barin999 said:

I'm glad to hear you've adressed this matter. I still kept me wondering.. the 3rd week, do you mean by that..the monday of that 3rd week or just any day after (3x7days) the 21st of each month?

And what if the month starts halfway a week or on a thursday...are we looking at newsletters at the 24th?

You don't need to reply to that if you don't want to. I'm as eager to read newsletters as anyone, but I'll read it as they are posted in what timeframe you see fit. 

Thanks again for the heads up.

It is slated to be the third Wednesday of each month. So if the first day of the month is a Wednesday, that would of course be the first Wednesday of the month. If the first day of the month is a Thursday, then the following Wednesday would be the first Wednesday of the month.

• 2419 posts
    January 14, 2019 2:52 PM PST

I bought a really cheap calendar that has no Wednesdays or 4s.  So what day of the month will it be for me?

• 379 posts
    January 14, 2019 6:37 PM PST

Vandraad said:

I bought a really cheap calendar that has no Wednesdays or 4s.  So what day of the month will it be for me?

You don't get a newsletter. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.