Forums » The Shaman

Shaman Totem Off Hand

• 12 posts
    January 6, 2019 9:01 AM PST

I always felt bad in EQ when I created my character and immediatly destroyed my starter weapon or gear as I thought that was a lost opportunity by Devs to add good content.  I remember saving a few for nostalgia but that was all it was and stayed in the bank.  I would love to see an option, for those that wanted it, an offhand item - call it a Doll like I have seen other posts in threads or a shaman decorated totem that you could keep with you always and work on it and evolve it with certain powers and benefits as you adventured.   It would be a part of you for a very long time and hold good memories of groups and battles and times you had that were tied to it.

I was thinking of a totem that as you found items in game, could be from foraging for feathers or killing for teeth or crafting , that when added, would impart a mana / health regen as the totem was held.  This woiuld also deal with the canni or non canni issue as I do not want to have to do what we did in EQ and sit stand like a madman in between server ticks or  have  a lich type spell on us draining health for mana because that  is a Necro defining ability.

But with our Shaman offhand totem, it would be class defining, open to all sorts of possibilities to expand and grow,  as you could also add completing shaman specific quests to it, certain kills or other amazing achievemnts and increase the power and abilities of your totem.

By keeping it an offhand, you would still allow the use of a dropped main hand wep from game.    If you ever got a 2 hand you wanted to use, then that would be a game choice you would make to switch out.   Your Epic, if it ends up being a 2 hand, maybe could have a slot to add your totem to it and you just keep improving it or just make a slot in your character screen like a charm that you can work on..like EQ has in PoP. 

Deathwish

This post was edited by Deathwish at January 6, 2019 10:18 AM PST
    • 1364 posts
    January 7, 2019 8:33 AM PST

I'd much rather see a Shaman primary weapon go through this growth process than an off-hand item.  You could choose, at level 1, what weapon type you wanted (staff, spear) and then stick with it as you level.  At various points you undertake quests that increase the stats/effects of the weapons (akin to the Coldain Prayer Shawl quest in EQ1).

• 470 posts
    January 7, 2019 1:37 PM PST

Vandraad said: I'd much rather see a Shaman primary weapon go through this growth process than an off-hand item.  You could choose, at level 1, what weapon type you wanted (staff, spear) and then stick with it as you level.

This would limit you to one weapon graphic for the entire life of your character. I would suggest even using an offhand slot for this kind of thing would be limiting since again, your offhand item graphic would be static whereas other players might find cool looking Epic items to wield. Even if they had the item slightly evolved it's look as you added things to it such as the feathers and teeth as Deathwish suggested showing up on the item graphic, it would be fairly standard and all shamans would be walking around with the same weapon or offhand just at various stages of feathers and teeth or what have you.

Also as for weapons don't forget that damage types is a thing, ie Peircing vs Crushing vs Slashing. There may be content that you will want/need to swap to a different damage type to be effective. Although I guess as a Shaman you'll be healing mostly and you're not really doing the poking, bashing, and hacking thing. But it wouldn't be a stretch that they would add this idea of an evolving item to all classes.

Perhaps they could add a special slot for an item of this type?

• 1364 posts
    January 7, 2019 3:40 PM PST

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Also as for weapons don't forget that damage types is a thing, ie Peircing vs Crushing vs Slashing. There may be content that you will want/need to swap to a different damage type to be effective. Although I guess as a Shaman you'll be healing mostly and you're not really doing the poking, bashing, and hacking thing. But it wouldn't be a stretch that they would add this idea of an evolving item to all classes.

Perhaps they could add a special slot for an item of this type?

I highly doubt that the Shaman's melee abilities will amount to more than jack squat such that even worry about what damage type your weapons has will be irrelevant.  We aren't a melee DPS class and probably wont have much Caster type DPS either.  So personally I wouldn't care about being locked into a single damage type, but I can see your point about having a bit more freedom to choose.

So, what slot would work for such a 'growing-over-time' item?

What if it wasn't the weapon itself but an adornment package?  Akin to the EQ1 augment that you could move from weapon to weapon by visiting your original Shaman trainer in your hometown and perform some small quest/task?  That way as your tastes change or as new weapons come available that you want to use, you can do so.

If I had to pick a slot though, it would be the headslot.  I look at the Native American headdress or tribal headdresses from native African tribes.  Something that, as grows in ornateness over time.  At least this way such an item could keep an AC component and does allow for you to keep whatever primary/secondary choices you wish. 

• 260 posts
    January 8, 2019 12:23 AM PST

It could also be a musical instrument or staff, it could be placed in ranged slot or charm slot.

• 1364 posts
    January 8, 2019 3:51 PM PST

Barin999 said:

It could also be a musical instrument or staff, it could be placed in ranged slot or charm slot.

Normally range slot items aren't visible unless you're using it.  A Ranger has a bow equipped but unless it is in use, you can't see it.  I'd much prefer and item that grows with us over time be something which is always visible.  If it were visible, though, where on the body would it appear?  A bow would be strapped across the back, but this?  Clearly not in a primary/secondary hand slot.  It would need to be coded special for the Shaman class which I doubt VR would want to undertake.  Heck, they redid the Skar character model because they didn't want to remodel leg/foot armor pieces to fit the different anatomy of a digitigrade leg so I doubt they want to create special code for a range item that appears in X location but only if it is this item and is held by a Shaman.

• 260 posts
    January 9, 2019 1:52 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Barin999 said:

Normally range slot items aren't visible unless you're using it.  A Ranger has a bow equipped but unless it is in use, you can't see it.  I'd much prefer and item that grows with us over time be something which is always visible.  If it were visible, though, where on the body would it appear?  A bow would be strapped across the back, but this?  Clearly not in a primary/secondary hand slot.  It would need to be coded special for the Shaman class which I doubt VR would want to undertake.  Heck, they redid the Skar character model because they didn't want to remodel leg/foot armor pieces to fit the different anatomy of a digitigrade leg so I doubt they want to create special code for a range item that appears in X location but only if it is this item and is held by a Shaman.

Well, there are ceremonial shields or staffs. Those can be off hand and might provide some stats. They could hold on to those as make them better over time. This by questing, item attunement or other.

A musical instrument could be attached to the shield or woven into the shield. Just have a look at shamanic drums, shields or similar ritualistic items. With some alteration they could blend into shields or other items with actual stats. This might be more an esthetic thing, but it would fit shamans.

• 2 posts
    January 9, 2019 8:48 PM PST

Perhaps, rather than a fixed slot for a totem item, you chose an item upon reaching a certain point in your progression that became your personal totem. Different slot items could have different effects available for you to add to them using things gathered from your environment while questing. Perhaps certain rare or boss type mobs drop special augments for your personal totems. This would necessitate that there be some form of progression system in place for an item that is made into a totem, but it could really add another interesting aspect to this class. 

• 281 posts
    June 3, 2019 4:54 AM PDT

FYI, totems are no longer planned to be part of the shaman class.