Forums » Support

Question regarding system specs

• 26 posts
    January 4, 2019 3:49 PM PST
    Hey, I have an older PC I built in 2007, ya long tome ago, lol. But I've upgraded it over the years. It's just a dual processor with 8 gigs of Ram and a Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card
    I plan on either upgrading it or buying a gaming laptop, or both, not sure yet, lol.

My question is, does anyone know or have an idea of what the system specs will be?
    And maybe someone could help me with deciding what would be a good gaming laptop for around 800 dollars?
    Thank you in advance!
    • 58 posts
    January 4, 2019 5:00 PM PST

no clarification on specs yet man but they have mentioned that it won't be too taxing, a mid-range rig upon release should do the trick.  

Have to pass on the laptop advice sorry. 

• 1006 posts
    January 4, 2019 5:46 PM PST

Rallithon said: Hey, I have an older PC I built in 2007, ya long tome ago, lol. But I've upgraded it over the years. It's just a dual processor with 8 gigs of Ram and a Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card I plan on either upgrading it or buying a gaming laptop, or both, not sure yet, lol. My question is, does anyone know or have an idea of what the system specs will be? And maybe someone could help me with deciding what would be a good gaming laptop for around 800 dollars? Thank you in advance!

Like was said by the previous poster, they stated that it will run on a mid-range gaming machine just fine.  As far as gaming laptop for $800.  That might be kind of tough.

• 750 posts
    January 4, 2019 8:49 PM PST

Rallithon said: Hey, I have an older PC I built in 2007, ya long tome ago, lol. But I've upgraded it over the years. It's just a dual processor with 8 gigs of Ram and a Nvidia GTX 980 graphics card I plan on either upgrading it or buying a gaming laptop, or both, not sure yet, lol. My question is, does anyone know or have an idea of what the system specs will be? And maybe someone could help me with deciding what would be a good gaming laptop for around 800 dollars? Thank you in advance!

If you need to buy a new system for other games, then get one. If you are just waiting for Pantheon, don't buy one now because you will get a better deal the longer you wait.

Back in the VG days that was a big issue. People were using VG as an excuse to buy new systems, when the game was still 2 years from release. Then they complained the specs were too high.

But the system you have might be able to play it just fine. The game currently gets a rock solid 60FPS from what we have seen, so performance optimizations is obviously something they work on. But if your system isn't enough, you can buy a PC from a manufacturer and have it shipped to your home in just a couple weeks. You won't be missing out.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 4, 2019 8:50 PM PST
    • 243 posts
    January 5, 2019 7:16 AM PST
    I wish they would let us know the specs to play pre alpha and alpha. This is holding me back from upgrading pledge.
    • 26 posts
    January 5, 2019 8:01 AM PST
    Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.
    I'll probably just swap out my old Mobo, Processor, older sound blaster, and add a hard drive. Does anyone have any advice on a few things listed below.

1) What is a decent mid range processor, usually I go with AMD.
    2) Mid range Motherboard, I usually go with Asus
    3) HardDrive advice. I'm a Seagate fan.
    4) My Sound card is like 8 years old, but it was around 75 dollars when I got it.
    Also, should I upgrade my 8 gigs of DDR 2 RAM as well? I go with Kingstom or Corsair, both have servee me well.

Once again, I appreciate the replies!
    • 1982 posts
    January 5, 2019 8:24 AM PST

Let me add one question - for MMOs in general if one gets a new monitor is widescreen more of a plus or a minus. Or is it totally subjective?

• 607 posts
    January 5, 2019 8:30 AM PST

I have found using 4K TVs to be very flexible, allowing you to have a play window of any dimension you want and thus space for other windows around it if you like.

The color and luminance accuracy of 4K TVs is far superior to most standard pc monitors. Requiring much less calibration for accurate display.

A 40" 4K can be comparibly priced to a high-end pc monitor and still far superior.

This post was edited by zewtastic at January 5, 2019 8:32 AM PST
    • 459 posts
    January 5, 2019 10:06 AM PST

dorotea said: for MMOs in general if one gets a new monitor is widescreen more of a plus or a minus. Or is it totally subjective?

Since almost all monitors you can buy today are wide screen which are 16:9 aspect ratio, I am going to assume that you are referring to the 'Ultra-wide' ones that have a 21:9 aspect ratio.

The MMO advantage to ultra-wide monitors is if the game supports a wider field of view while in game. Basically a wider peripheral vision so to speak. This can have some advantages, especially when you need to keep your eyes out for those roaming enemies who might be sneaking up on you. I don't know if there would be any 'downsides' that relate to MMO games.

The downsides tend to be with other things that you may be doing, such as watching movies/shows (such as on netflix) that are in 16:9 as there will then be 'black bars' on the sides of your screen. There is also issues if you are 'recording' gameplay to display on youtube or if you are going to be streaming, as the video will need to be edited down to the 16:9 ratio before streamed or uploaded to youtube. But if you aren't going to be doing any of that then Ultra-Wide can be very cool.

Regarding 4K displays. Remember that most 4K are still limited to 60Hz which limits you to 60fps in game. When playing games like MMO's or FPS's where you may be turning your character to look around, this can cause visual stuttering as you turn as the screen can't update the visuals fast enough. It's recommended to use a monitor that can do 120hz or higher, and the 4K monitors that can go that high are much more expensive. Yes they look really pretty when you are standing still, but if you then get choppy visuals trying to keep up to you looking around at the pretty scenery, it kinda ruins it.

• 607 posts
    January 5, 2019 2:00 PM PST

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Regarding 4K displays. Remember that most 4K are still limited to 60Hz which limits you to 60fps in game. When playing games like MMO's or FPS's where you may be turning your character to look around, this can cause visual stuttering as you turn as the screen can't update the visuals fast enough. It's recommended to use a monitor that can do 120hz or higher, and the 4K monitors that can go that high are much more expensive. Yes they look really pretty when you are standing still, but if you then get choppy visuals trying to keep up to you looking around at the pretty scenery, it kinda ruins it.

Unless you have a 4k, have been playing games with a 4K you really don't know what you're talking about.

You are unqualified to give a review of using 4k for gaming. To say they make things "pretty" means you do not grasp how superior they are in rendering accurate and crisp visuals.

I have been gaming in 4K for many years now and would never return to HD. I equate 4K on par with SSDs as a 'wow' moment for gaming. Just vastly superior in all ways.

• 750 posts
    January 5, 2019 5:39 PM PST

zewtastic said:

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

Unless you have a 4k, have been playing games with a 4K you really don't know what you're talking about.

You are unqualified to give a review of using 4k for gaming. To say they make things "pretty" means you do not grasp how superior they are in rendering accurate and crisp visuals.

I have been gaming in 4K for many years now and would never return to HD. I equate 4K on par with SSDs as a 'wow' moment for gaming. Just vastly superior in all ways.

That may very well be true. However, 4k gaming requires a significant added expense over 1080 or 1440p gaming. 1440p is the sweet spot between IQ and price.

• 459 posts
    January 5, 2019 10:13 PM PST

Zewtastic said: Unless you have a 4k, have been playing games with a 4K you really don't know what you're talking about. You are unqualified to give a review of using 4k for gaming.

I understand that you can't trust some guy on a forum who calls himself GoofyWarriorGuy, so I will just let you hear it from Linus from Linus Tech Tips. From his video 4K Gaming is Dumb.

Zewtastic said: To say they make things "pretty" means you do not grasp how superior they are in rendering accurate and crisp visuals.

I think the words I said were "really pretty". I'm sorry if I didn't use the amazballs words to adaquetly express how amazing 4k looks. I did not mean to suggest that it doesn't look way better than lower resolution displays. My point had everything to do with 60Hz which causes blur when the image is changing rapidly. In order to use 4k at higher than 60hz you need a much more expensive display and need a really high end computer with really expensive gpu. Not impossible, but something that will need to be considered for those thinking of upgrading their monitor.

• 1982 posts
    January 6, 2019 8:52 AM PST

GoofyWarriorGuy - thanks. The downsides I was thinking of included reduced framerate and inferior performance (the higher the resolution, for example, the lower the video performance and framerate  that can normally be supported other things being completely equal - I am not sure to what extent a stretched out screen makes this worse). I was not concerned with issues for non-gaming use. Computers can be used for things other than games? Who knew? Does going above 60Hz make that much of a difference in real life as distinct from tests? You seem convinced it does - I have read other opinions that say the difference is hardly noticable and not worth the cost unless you are gaming competitively or playing shooter type games.

zewtastic - SSDs have been an enormous step up in many ways. If 4K has anywhere near the same impact they are a must have, finances permitting. And if lower end 4K monitors are a step up over 1440p notwithstanding the reduced framerates and lower video settings (again, other things being equal) I note that they are not that expensive these days though if upgrades are needed to support them that is another matter.

bigdogchris - very true for the best monitors and the high-end video cards needed for superior support. Especially so if you want something so fast that it does not limit you to low framerate and "medium graphics" because of the higher resolution of 4K monitors. The newest graphics cards are *not* cheap - even assuming you use one of them not two or more linked together (and I think a single card is clearly best for MMOs).

• 4058 posts
    January 6, 2019 1:15 PM PST

bryanleo9 said: I wish they would let us know the specs to play pre alpha and alpha. This is holding me back from upgrading pledge.

That's somewhat counterintuitive, because one of the main purposes of pre alpha and alpha is to determine what minimum specs are required to run the game smoothly. They don't have a large enough sample size yet. Even though it may potentially not be as fun for you, it would be more helpful to the game overall if you run it on your machine now and just report how well it runs and what your specs specs are, so that they can then add that to the data to determine what specs would be minimum/recommended by launch.

• 36 posts
    • 8302 posts
    January 6, 2019 3:07 PM PST

Moved to Support, no system specs have been released yet, we will need to wait until the game is near completion and we have done a final pass on performance etc. before we release them.

• 98 posts
    January 10, 2019 7:36 AM PST

Long post, i don't really see any answers to the initial question, so ill try my best ;)

1) What is a decent mid range processor, usually I go with AMD.

2) Mid range Motherboard, I usually go with Asus
    3) HardDrive advice. I'm a Seagate fan.
    4) My Sound card is like 8 years old, but it was around 75 dollars when I got it. 
    Also, should I upgrade my 8 gigs of DDR 2 RAM as well? I go with Kingstom or Corsair, both have servee me well.

1. As of writing, Intel is still in the lead of top game performance, however AMD is closing in and fast. The zen2 architecture that is comming out this year holds a lot of promise, but nothing is certain untill the actual release. So right now for gaming only purposes i would recommend an Intel CPU like the Core I9-9900k. However the I7-9700k seems to be the more populair choice. See this link for a decent sum up.

2. These days the main board manufacturers don't differ so much in quality as they do in functionality. If you stick with the 'main' producers (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte as examples) you are good to go. The only thing you need to check is the chipset and they glued on and the features from that chipset that are actually used and made available (think of things like USB-C ports, dual Ethernet ports etc.)

3. Harddrives are a bit tougher, especially since you are talking about a preference. I personally have no preference and really only look at the combination $$ vs capacity. Alternatively ill look at brand and random write speeds. For sure i would recommend getting atleast an SSD or SSHD for the gaming disk such as a Seagate Firecuda

4. Sound card i personally find a waste of money to purchase with a gaming computer, if you are going to be using the rig for other means, such as watching movies, editting or producing sound i would however recommend it. If you are into that however, you are more likely more knowledgeable on the subject than i am.

In regards to ram, i cannot stress enuff that you should always get AT LEAST 8GB, but preferably 16GB or more. Especially for MMO's where you might want to load additional information on another screen, maybe stream some of your gameplay, play music in the background it can and will add up. If you are upgrading to a modern day CPU, it will be inevitable that you need to upgrade your ram, as DDR2 won't fit on recent motherboards and will not work with the recent chipsets. So yes this is a must and you will want to look for DDR4.

In regards to ram, there are many many brands and quality's, but generally if it has a decent looking heatspreader or RGB on it, its of decent quality. What matters most in Ram currently is the speed it runs on. AMD prefers high clocked memory, and well Intel does too, however not as much effected by it as the Ryzen structure.

If you are looking into more detailed information, please check youtube for linus tech tips, Bitwit, Jayz2cents and similar youtubers for good 'simple' information. They themselves will also have referrals to other tubers who go into much more depth's.

Hope this helps!